Author Topic: Need Input -- Holster Passaround  (Read 8411 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Need Input -- Holster Passaround
« on: July 09, 2004, 02:07:16 PM »
Over on the Blade Forum (www.bladeforum.com), they do knife "passarounds."  In essence, a manufacturer or dealer provides, or a group decides to buy, a single knife and it gets passed around according to a sign up list.  You get a chance to use the knife for a few days, then you pass it along, in the same condition you received it, to the next person.  Each person posts a review with their thoughts and impressions.  At the end, the knife is either returned to the owner or is raffled off to participants in the passaround, with the proceeds going back to the person who bought it to offset the costs.

This seems like a great idea -- especially in a smaller group like we have here.  It could really be done with any kind of Rohrbaugh accessory, but makes a lot of sense with holsters.  We all are curious to try other holsters, are we not?  The holster makers here will generally take one back if you don't like it, but thats not always fair or practical.  And lets face it -- its hard to tell if you like a holster until you use it.

So -- here is my idea.  How about doing some holster passarounds?  In talking with Kevin from K&D Holsters, he has offered to start us off with a black Belt Defender (pancake style, adjustable cant belt holster with thumb break) from his line.  With a bit of arm twisting, we may get RJ and Ron Graham and Azrael and others to do the same.  If there are other we want to try, someone would have to offer to sponsor the passaround.

There is a bit of risk, I suppose.  Holsters could disappear, but with just minimal precautions I think it would work alright -- especially among the people here who are known quanities so to speak.  

What do you guys think?  Who is interested?  Am I way off base here?

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline shelb

• Expert
Re: Need Input -- Holster Passaround
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 02:30:37 PM »
This seems like an excellent idea!  I would definitly be interested to check out some holsters in this fashion.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 10:27:51 PM »
PFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTttttttttt....

[The sound an idea makes when dying...]
Duane (DDGator)

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 10:57:07 PM »
LOL!
I thought it was a good idea......of coarse I am probably the only one here that owns less than a dozen holsters already :D

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 11:53:06 PM »
DDGator, I like the holster idea. Why not give it a chance before deciding PFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTttttttttt....

Not all of us check in here several times daily, so how about waiting a couple of days before deciding whether the idea will fly or not?

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 01:04:46 AM »
Well, I said dying, not dead...   ;D

"Paging DDGator to the ICU!"

If others are interested... let me know!
Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 01:01:53 PM »
Sorry Duane ... had missed the original thread posting .... but yeah .. there is some usefullness to this.

I certainly would like to see one of RJ's pocket rigs .. and this would be a good way to go.  I guess it'd only take a small amount of mailing cost and ... as long as we had addy info for forwarding on to next guy - it'd work.

Standing by -
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 01:43:43 PM »
OK, a couple of  questions,  say the first guy on the list fell in LOVE with the holster.  He doesn't want another holster , he wants this one!   He doesn't want to wait for one to be mailed to him, he has this one in his hands.   What happens to the plan?

Who will own, or be responsible for the holster once it leaves my hands?

RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 01:59:15 PM »
RJ - you raise a valid concern.  In the case of you sending out one of yours ... well I'd say it'd be (of course) yours all the time but ...... if you like .. it'd be also out ''on approval''.

Thus - if at some stage of appraisal by any one individual they did in fact find themselves ''in love' :)  ...... they would be required to liase with you direct and arrange payment.  That'd thus be a sale ..... and another could perhaps go out on the rounds ... ''on approval''.

Perforce, there is need for trust here ....... but I'd say that certainly amongst us earlier members, who in a sense ''know'' one another .. there'd be little worry about.  Plus - anyone who did try to be sneaky and just hold on to one - would suffer the wrath of the whole board! ;)

Risk?  yeah - some - hard to avoid totally but - worth considering perhaps.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 02:21:42 PM »
My suggestion, if someone fails to go along with the program, is to have Chris begin a series of his a**hole telephone calls to the culprit.  I'm sure that would fix the problem.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 02:31:12 PM »
Bwhahaha -  Mike - you got that nailed!!  Innocent lil' me hadn't even thought of that!! :P

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 03:22:27 PM »
Thanks, Duane, but I respectfully withdraw my offer to participate as I'm getting out of the holster-making business.  Appreciate the opportunity.
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004, 03:51:38 PM »
RJ,

It can be set up however the person providing the item would like.  The way the concept usually works, the same item gets passed around and then returned to the orignal owner.  If you fall in love with it -- you order one of your own.  Otherwise, it really slows down the pass-around.

Of course there is some risk.  Anyone who participates needs to give a real name and contact info.  They do this on Bladeforums.com with knives in the $75 range and  higher.

It is primarily a way for end users to experience products they might not otherwise see -- just for the price of postage.  It coudl also be some free advertising for those who wish to provide products.

If we decide to do this, I would set up a new sub-category of the board just for passaround signups and tracking.

Let me know what you think.

George -- you have any pull with Ron Graham to get a holster out of him?  

Duane (DDGator)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2004, 05:47:53 PM »

With the post from Kevin [K man]above, and Ron Graham being so hard to get a hold of,  PFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTttttttttt.... I still hear something !

I have a standing offer for all, order the holster, if you don't like it, it can be returned for money back. [all but mailing cost]   This is pretty straight forward,  and workable.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 05:48:26 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2004, 06:44:11 PM »
"Ron Graham being so hard to get a hold of.."

I've never had such a problem.  He’s always returned my emails in a very timely manner – usually within 24 hours.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 06:45:40 PM by K-Man »
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.