Author Topic: Value over time???  (Read 6196 times)

Offline fasteddie

Value over time???
« on: June 06, 2005, 06:14:13 PM »
I will get my r9 in a day or so.  I had the factory do a few little things to the gun to make it diffrent.  I want to shoot it but I also want to keep it for my kids, kids, kids.  I want it to be worth something in the future.  if I shoot it will the value drop over time.  In other words in 50 years will an unshot r9 be worth much more than one that was only shot a few times?
Ed

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Value over time???
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 06:54:36 PM »
I've also thought about that.

It should last for many generations, assuming it is not fired like a range gun.

Meanwhile, it should be worth more unfired.  But that's no fun.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 06:56:09 PM by Michigunner »

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 08:33:37 PM »
 :o ;DGet two and put one away, shoot and carry the other! ::)
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline fasteddie

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 09:07:34 PM »
i bought 2 but i am giving one as a gift.  i am just wondering if the custom work they did will put it in a class of its own.  thoughts

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 09:17:05 PM »
Newt has the right idea.  I would hope, however, that when the progeny of my progeny get to the point of appraising my R9s some sentimental value will result from their knowledge that "the Old Man" shot it often and well.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 09:27:55 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 10:18:45 PM »
Well - my #1 R9 was used for approx 300 rounds - most of which was my ammo test program ... it is tho hardly obvious it has seen much use plus - it is enriched with a new recoil spring already.  Also it was carried very little, unlike the #2!!

I guess by default an unfired gun must carry a degree of extra value but I'll not worry on that score.  I hope if my geriatric finances permit, that my son will have the #1 and hopefully keep that a long, long time after I am gone.

fasteddie - hope you pup does indeed arrive very soon ...... and hey - WE WILL NEED PICS!!  Right!!! ;D ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 12:31:20 AM »
I had the factory do a few little things to the gun to make it diffrent.

What all are you having done?
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline glazier

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 11:14:14 PM »
I won't be here in 50 years, so I don't care if my R9 will appreciate in value!  I bought it to carry & shoot.  My Microsoft stock surely will grow in value!  Firearms are not a good investment... use 'em or lose 'em...  :'(.  Time is a relative thing, isn't it?  Education and common sense is what I hope to pass on to my children.  I'm going to spend my $$$ and inheritance.  The kids are SOL if they don't pay attention now.   ;D.  
Measure Twice...CUT Once!

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 12:10:21 AM »
I've been a visitor on this great forum for months and finally took the plunge.  Carrying a Seecamp for years (bought three - two for my wife and daughter) I didn't feel I would have a desire to find an alternative carry.  Then at the NRA convention in Pittsburgh last year I met the Rourbaugh men and held the R9.  Since I still can't get it out of my mind - I guess I will have to join the rest of you as a owner - when I can find one.   The price never bothers me when quality is involved if I can afford it.   Heck - the Tony Bose pocket knive I carry is worth $1200.  I never understood people who buy a beautiful hand made knife then stick it in a safe and carry a $30 Case  - not that there is anything wrong with a Case knife.  I agree with "glazier" - a gun is to be used and carried.  A gun not used is a gun abused.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 12:19:45 AM »
Mountain man - welcome (should I say - at last!!) ..  :)

Good to have you aboard the good ship Rohrbaugh.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 12:30:13 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Chris.  A friend of mine finally got his R9 a few weeks ago and I went down to see it.  After a "long time" holding it I can see why so many of you have gotten an attachment.  He invited me back down to help him break the R9S in at the range and I think I'll take him up on the offer.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 08:10:01 AM »
MountainMan:

Welcome to the Forum!

I agree entirely with your comment that, "A gun not used is a gun abused."  Even a couple of handguns to which I refer as my "Safe Queens" get wrung out once a year or so at the range.

Let us know your impressions from shooting the R9s for the first time.  I predict that you will impressed.  I surely was.

RS
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 09:29:08 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 03:03:41 PM »
As a former antique dealer, collector and R9 owner I can tell you that the value of the Rohrbaugh is assured, particularly those who have low serial numbers.

Ironically, value is sometimes established by product failure or rejection at the market place. Case in point: Model 65 Winchester. This was a half magazine "improvement" over the mighty Model 92. It failed and they made only several thousand of them. Check out the value of a Winchester Model 65 today.

Another thing that will diminish values of contemporary guns, in the future, is the disappearance of cardboard boxes. New guns come in plastic lockable containers; a dime a dozen, whereas old guns came in boxes which, if preserved, greatly enhance the value of the pistol. (Happily, I own 6 old Colts in original boxes).

MountainMan: I am an Honorary Member of the Knifemakers Guild and I must tell you that you have great taste if you carry a Tony Bose knife.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 06:29:11 PM »
Thanks for the welcome RS.  It is nice to participate and not just sit back like I have been doing.  I use to do a lot of competiion handgun shooting so I'm looking forward to sending a few down range with my friends R9S until I can secure one of my own.
ACP - I carry a Bose pocket knife for the same reason I currently carry a Seecamp (and some day a R9S).  You can use a Case knife or a Kel Tech  - both will do get you were you want to go but the trip won't be as fun.  The only mint Bose knife I don't carry I got from Tony at the Blade show and I plan to sell it, for not using the knife is not being fair to the knife or maker who put some of his soul into making it.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 07:23:56 PM »
MountainMan:

I hear you all the way and you make great sense. The dilemma of those who possess/collect valuable objects is their fear of usage.

A handgun in the original box is a paperweight, if not used, but I am guilty of doing that because of the risk to the value.

Same way with knives. I "play" with knives at $2000.00 level  but I'm not taking them out to the woods to see what they will cut.

The resolution to the dilemma is simple. Buy more guns and knives, or whatever it is that makes you happy. You can shoot or cut with some and let others accrue in value.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson