Author Topic: R9 - Seecamp 380 Comparison  (Read 12228 times)

Offline FB3

R9 - Seecamp 380 Comparison
« on: January 09, 2006, 03:03:33 PM »
I have seen several comments scattered throughout a few threads on this subject, and thought I would begin a thread with the above title.

I have both a R9s and a Seecamp 380.  Both were purchased new.

I have fired them approximately 70 - 80 rounds each.

Both functioned perfectly (except the R9 with S&B ammo, but I consider that an ammo problem) with hollow point self defense ammo.

Both recoil stoutly, and both whack my trigger finger.  I have pretty large hands, so this may be part of the problem.  The Seecamp had slightly more perceived recoil than the R9.

I have no problem controlling either pistol. I have grip tape on the R9.

The Seecamp is smaller, and thus easier to carry in a pocket, however, the R9 is certainly not difficult to carry in the same manner.

The Seecamp is a little easier to disassemble than the R9.

To me the Seecamp seems to be of a little higher quality than the R9, but the Seecamp is all stainless, and is finished perfectly.

The R9 is, obviously, a 9mm.  However, the hot 380 loads in the Seecamp aren't too far away from standard pressure 9mm, but still feel that the advantage is with the R9 here.

So, the two are very small single purpose self defense pistols that are really quite similar, but each has its own unique features.

Which one do I keep?  I haven't decided yet, but certainly don't think that either one has any significant advantage over the other from a quality or function standpoint.  Will just have to wait and see if I have any strong feelings for one over the other.

Experience is the best teacher, but the tuition is awfully high

Offline jarcher

• Master
Re:  R9 - Seecamp 380 Comparison
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 05:02:24 PM »
Thanks for the post!  Whats the weight difference?  Sometimes I find my R9 a little heavier than I would like...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 05:02:45 PM by jarcher »

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 05:59:14 PM »
Thanks for the comparison.
Do you plan to keep only one?
I don't find the R9 difficult at all to assemble/disassemble (although it seems most people do) so it's good to hear that the Seecamp is even easier.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 06:01:05 PM »
FB3

To me that is not a problem so I may not be the right person to answer this.  I have two R9s, several Seecamps LWS .32s,  and a LWS .380 on order.  I plan on keeping all of them.

Since I don't have a LWS .380 yet I some times carry a R9, and sometimes a LWS .32 - depends on what I'm wearing and my mood.

Now is I had to make a decision because of funds, ar another reason, I truefully don't know.  In fact I may eventually get two LWS. 380s.  I am attached to the Seecamps mainly because I have been involved with them for so long.  But the R9 is like a loveable big brother.  

Confusing isn't it.

If you sell either one you will probably have no problem.
Dave
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 06:33:13 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline FB3

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 06:01:46 PM »
Actually I can't really say that I noticed much difference in weight between the two pistols.  Obviously the Seecamp is smaller, but it is all stainless steel, so it feels very close the the weight of the R9 to me.  Darn it, now I'll have to open the safe and check this out!

Offline FB3

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 06:04:39 PM »
Dave,

I really don't need to sell either, and probably won't.  Sometimes I just get tired of having stuff sitting around that I don't use.

However, both of these pistols are just so neat that I will probably keep them.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 06:10:14 PM »
Dave,
  Sometimes I just get tired of having stuff sitting around that I don't use.

I need you to come to my house and help us get rid of all the stuff that has build up over the years.

I would say if you sold either, a week or two later you would miss the other.

Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 06:10:58 PM »
the hot 380 loads in the Seecamp aren't too far away from standard pressure 9mm
Both Marshall and Fackler rate the 9mm parabellum (even in standard pressure) significantly superior to the .380ACP in terms of stopping power and wound size.

Offline FB3

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 06:53:45 PM »
Fudster,

That is good information.  I would think that the 9mm would be much better, but have read that the 380 isn't too far below it.  However, your source would appear to be much more reliable.

Also, I have been called (justifiably so) a "gun renter".  A lot of the stuff that I recycle I don't really miss, but i think that the R9 and the Seecamp will both stay around.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 07:30:52 PM »
Everything I've ever read indicates that there is a significant difference between .380 and 9mm.
I had links to some great articles, but can't find them right now.

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/l/aast9mmv380a.htm
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 07:32:55 PM by harrydog »

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 07:16:26 PM »
Wouldn't a quality .380 JHP be at least equal to the .38 RNL that LEOs carried for decades?  Didn't those LEOs do okay with it?

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 10:51:44 AM »
Murray,

I looked at Remington ballistics and found these muzzle energy values for .38 round nose lead rounds.

It looks like your question is certainly valid.  I would feel comfortable having a .380 Auto, especially those times when you couldn't carry a larger piece.

On the negative side, a .380 Auto today might have a very short barrel which would reduce the energy output.

380 Auto JHP  191 ft/lbs
38 S&W           152 ft/lbs
38 Special        200 ft/lbs

Bill
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 12:09:11 PM by Michigunner »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 07:43:41 PM »
Bill:

I am now and have long been an unapologetic advocate of the .380 ACP cartridge for use in pocket pistols.  I first came to know it during my time in Germany, where it was known as the "9mm Kurz" and was carried by many West German police and military units.  In +P configuration, its ballistics can be right up there with the lesser 9mm Luger loads.  

(At this point, RS takes cover in anticipation of incoming fire.   8)   )

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 09:15:37 PM »
Thanks, Richard.

Well, if I still have enough money, someday I would like to get a nice 380 Auto.

There seems to be no end to wanting another gun.  I may have to seek treatment for this addiction.   :)

We all seem to be in the same boat.

Wait.....what am I saying?...  Already have a 380 Bersa.  That's pretty bad when you don't know you have a 380.

Holy Cow!

Bill
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 09:27:35 PM by Michigunner »

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 12:28:06 AM »
I have a Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380, and I am awaiting a Seecamp .380.

I tried a Kel-Tec P3AT, but it did not work for me.
ACTA NON VERBA