Author Topic: Utter Reliability  (Read 1416 times)

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
Utter Reliability
« on: June 27, 2008, 02:12:25 AM »
Hi all, although I don't get the time to post here too often anymore I do check in from time to time to see what's new and happening in the Rohrbaugh world and I wanted to report on a bit of an experiment I have been conducting for the past year.

I carry my R9 on an almost daily basis under a very wide variety of conditions - from suit and tie to hiking almost daily with my dog in weather from 10 - 90 degrees and everything in-between. Over one year ago I had my R9 at the range and shot several mags through it - I gave it a cursory wipe down, put it back in my pocket and reminded myself to give it a more thorough cleaning and spring change-out when I had more time. Being the distacted procrastinator that I am a day or two turned into weeks and then a few month went by.

There have been more than a few posts here regarding the R9's reliability and as I read those I started thinking about my dirty R9 in my back pocket and how I had yet to experience a problem with mine. It was at that time I decided I wasn't going to clean my R9 for some time. Every 3 months or so I would take it out and shoot one mag through it - flawless! Over the last year or so my R9 has been exposed to more sweat, dirt, dust, water, and weather extremes than I can properly quantify. Today marks about 15 or 16 months since I last thoroughly cleaned it and changed springs - and it's been over 6 months since my last range time. It was dirty, had lint and dog hair on it and isn't near as pretty as it once was - however I shot two mags through it today and again - flawless!

There are those who deride the R9 and say it must be pampered to maintain reliability - I beg to disagree! I'm betting my life, and my family's, on mine - just thought some of you might find this experience interesting. I wouldn't classify this as a torture test, but it's definitely a real-life test.
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Utter Reliability
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 10:11:58 AM »
Firebreather:

Thank you for that report!

Although I confess to having been somewhat obsessive/compulsive about cleaning my R9 during the past four years in which I have owned it (sometimes cleaning it just for the sheer enjoyment of the task), your opinion concerning the pistol's inherent reliability mirrors my own. I carry my R9 every day and trust it with my life and the lives of my family members. It has never malfunctioned.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 12:28:03 PM »
more proof that it's a quality firearm.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline dawkind

• Sharpshooter
  • NRA Benefactor and don't EVER give up!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 04:21:21 PM »
(sometimes cleaning it just for the sheer enjoyment of the task)

I confess, too..... ;D
"I think for myself.....therefore I vote Conservative.....God Bless Ronald Reagan!"