Author Topic: Wilson Combat ARP Tactical Pistol  (Read 7298 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Wilson Combat ARP Tactical Pistol
« on: January 19, 2016, 09:03:24 AM »
My Wilson Combat ARP Tactical Pistol just arrived. Wilson & ATF both say that this is a legal pistol. If they say so......

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:16:27 AM by cargaritaville »
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
Re: Wilson Combat ARP Tactical Pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 11:22:29 AM »
As long as you don't put a forward grip it is a pistol (lol). Looks nice give us a good write up on how it shoot when you can.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 07:58:54 PM »
How can it be a pistol with a shoulder stock?  Looks like a short rifle to me.  Suggest careful research on this one!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 10:16:20 AM »
 That is a nifty "arm brace"....Not a shoulder stock. You got a real nice setup goin there with the pistol instead of NFA forms. Ive always wanted a Colt commando with a A2 upper and standard furniture..someday.

Offline gkgeiger

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 10:48:54 AM »
I bought a Sig MPX 9mm Pistol to be converted to a SBR. Form filed a few days ago. Got a collapsible stock and a for-end grip. Also have a red dot for it.

Offline gkgeiger

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 10:51:03 AM »
How can it be a pistol with a shoulder stock?  Looks like a short rifle to me.  Suggest careful research on this one!

Is the barrel 16"? If not it is a SBR and requires a stamp. So I've been told.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 02:28:55 PM »
That's not a shoulder stock, it's a Shockwave arm brace.  It rests against or straps to your forearm while holding the pistol in a shooting stance.  I think Wilson thinks it will fly with the ATF like the Sig brace did, but using it as a shoulder stock "Redesigns" the pistol an NFA SBR: short barrel rifle.  So basically, don't get caught with the arm brace up to your shoulder and you'll be legal with the short barrel. 

https://www.atf.gov/file/11816/download

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 02:56:13 PM »
Gkgeiger, you could have added a $50 Shockwave brace or a $100 Sig brace to your MPX without a tax stamp.  The NFA stamp is definitely the "Right" way to go, just takes more time, money and effort.  And don't forget, having the collapsible stock or foregrip in the vicinity of the Sig pistol may be  a Constructive Possession violation depending on where you live, meaning you have all the parts for the NFA weapon before the stamp is received.  So keep the stock and foregrip at a buddy's or relative's house until the stamp is received.  Phil

Florida Statue 790.221
(1) It is unlawful for any person to own or to have in his or her care, custody, possession, or control any short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or machine gun which is, or MAY READILY BE MADE operable; but this section shall not apply to antique firearms.
(2) A person who violates this section commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
(3) Firearms in violation hereof which are lawfully owned and possessed under provisions of federal law are excepted.

Offline gkgeiger

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 03:28:59 PM »
Thanks, got that covered.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 04:04:44 PM »
This is what Wilson Combat says about it...

The Wilson Combat ARP (AR Pistol) Tactical pistol is an outstanding choice for home or vehicle defense and exhibits the accuracy and attention to detail our tactical rifles are known for.  This AR receiver based firearm is legally defined as a pistol in most states and uses the time-tested, direct impingement gas system that has given the classic AR platform a reputation for accuracy and reliability for almost 50 years. 
The ARP Tactical uses the same premium Wilson Combat components as our legendary tactical rifles and can also be ordered ready for suppressed use. Features like our famous Tactical Trigger Unit, NP3 Bolt Carrier group, and your choice of time tested Armor Tuff® finish complete this practical package.  We are very pleased to offer the Shockwave pistol brace as standard furniture for this pistol.  The lightweight Shockwave brace helps stabilize the pistol when properly used and is also user adjustable for length.
Why Buy an AR pistol?
AR-platform pistols can have several advantages over NFA regulated firearms in terms of interstate transport and ease of purchasing.  New innovations like the Shockwave AR pistol brace also enable stable one-handed shooting when used as designed. AR Pistols are smaller, lighter and more maneuverable than an AR carbine and can be more easily stowed in a car, boat or on a motorcycle.
Where Are AR Pistols legal?
AR platform pistols are legal in most states where AR-15 rifles are legally purchased.
These are typically purchased just like any other handgun. 
Check with your local dealer regarding the laws in your specific state.
Is the Shockwave brace legal to put on this pistol?
Yes-the Shockwave pistol brace is legal to use as long as it is used in accordance with the intent in which it was designed and should not be used to shoulder the pistol. 
Learn more http://shockwavetechnologies.com
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline gkgeiger

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 04:16:04 PM »
I read that this afternoon. I did what I did just because I wanted a SBR. I realize it's a hassle and costs more, but in 4-5 months it will be done. The only hassle then will be transporting it.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 10:45:35 PM »
I hadn't thought about the transport aspect.  In Michigan with a CPL, I could carry the Wilson ARP with a 60 round Surefire mag on a sling under my winter coat or on the passenger seat of my car covered by something.  Not so with the SBR, but probably overkill for personal defense.  The Wilson ARP is more likely to be banned or have the ATF rescind the brace approval than an NFA SBR, so SBR is probably the way to go for home defense or if you actually want a rifle with a short barrel.