Author Topic: Gold Dots are available...  (Read 4264 times)

Offline DanR9SF

• Expert
Re: Gold Dots are available...
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 04:21:36 PM »
Just visited a Pro Bass Shop and it's gotten worse.  They've moved the handgun ammo to (unlit, locked) shelves behind and under the counter.  Now you have to ask the salesperson to look in the (dark) racks and tell you what they have.  Of course the salesperson has little knowledge of the specifics of different loads and calibers, so it goes something like this:  

"I have 45"
"Which loads?"
"Um, here's a box of 20 for $29.95"
"Which load?"
"45, what are you looking for?"
"9mm"
"We have some of that"
"Which loads?"
"Lead bullets, what do you mean which loads?"

And it gets worse.

At a local gun shop they now have a new rule posted: you can only buy one box of .380, and only if you buy a .380 firearm at the same time!  And the .380 ammo is behind the counter in an area next to the new sign.

I just ordered from Cabela's and I'll wait for UPS to deliver it later this year.  What a pain.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:28:53 PM by DaninVA »
R9S and R9SF - Not For Sale

Offline Bill_in_TX

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 05:43:06 PM »
WOW, is this the new ( :'() price for gold dots?  Im glad I have a few already.
I think there's a bit more behind their current prices, so wouldn't judge the overall market from that.

Having dealt with these folks a fair bit I'll just note a couple things:

The ammo that was referenced is (by Speer policy, not law) Law Enforcement Only sales.

AmmotoGo chooses to sell that ammo to anyone as the law allows.

Speer (ATK) doesn't like that, so won't sell directly to them.

They have to buy it indirectly, through friendly LE distributors, and thus have an additional mark-up in the supply chain.

This situation will be most obvious if you buy some Hornady LE only ammo (mostly 5.56) from them.  It will all come with the lot numbers removed from the packing and they will freely tell you that they do that to protect their (gray market?) supplier from Hornady retribution.

Speer/ATK hasn't yet started tracking their ammo lots that closely, but don't be surprised to see the same in the future.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 06:37:15 PM »
For those not familiar with ATK, it is Alliant Techsystems, a premier
aerospace and defense corporation. They have over 19,000 employees
in the U.S., Puerto Rico, and internationally. Their annual revenues
exceed $6 billion.

Offline KTamez

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 12:31:04 AM »
Hmm, I feel lucky with the 6 boxes of 50 I bought for $27 each a couple weeks ago....

edit: didn't look closely at first. Mine were 115grain but it was what I wanted anyways.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 12:32:08 AM by KTamez »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 11:51:32 AM »
Welcome KTamez!  That was a good deal!!  I paid $20.00 a box for 20 rds., 124 gr. this week.  I was excited to find that!!    :)    :D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 11:52:17 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline DanR9SF

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 02:50:24 PM »
Just visited my local gun shop and the handgun ammo shelves are getting full of a greater and greater variety.  Plenty of Hornady Critical Defense in 9mm - $24.99 per box of 25 rounds.  $22.99 per box in .380 auto.  Still pricey but at least available... they had at least a hundred boxes of each on the shelf.

They also had 9mm Speer Gold Dot in 115, 124 & 147 gr for $19.99 a box of 20.  And a good assortment of 38 special +P in the Gold Dot and Hydrashock.

They had a limit of 2 boxes of each type.  The last gun show I went to had a very good assortment of everything.  

It was nice to see at least something on the shelf and the local gun shop.

Oh I forgot to mention: they had a wide variety of .460 to .500 caliber ammo in many different loads.

Have you seen this on Gun Owners of America?

http://capwiz.com/gunowners/issues/alert/?alertid=13188856

:)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 03:35:01 PM by DaninVA »
R9S and R9SF - Not For Sale

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 04:35:47 PM »
I have not had a problem the last month in getting any ammo but the price was high in some cases.  Today I am going down to Mills Fleet Farm to purchase 9mm blazer for 10.00 a box, no limit.
Good Luck,
Fat Boy
EDC: HTC Touch Pro, Rohrbaugh R9, Dereelight C2H, Pocket Bible, CRT, Leather Tri-fold, SS Peanut Lighter, Bobster

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 05:02:39 PM »
Have you seen any 9mm Winchester Silvertips?
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 05:26:40 PM »
yes but I don't buy them, do you want me to look out for some for you or get pricing.
Good Luck,
Fat Boy
EDC: HTC Touch Pro, Rohrbaugh R9, Dereelight C2H, Pocket Bible, CRT, Leather Tri-fold, SS Peanut Lighter, Bobster

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 05:55:51 PM »
Yes, FB.  That would be great.  Caleba's and Sportsman Guide keeps moving their ship date out a month further each month.

Now it's August 15th and 20th.