Author Topic: Re: Slamfire  (Read 10160 times)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Slamfire
« on: April 29, 2011, 01:30:06 AM »
The most important thing is no one was hurt and the wall can be patched.
   I would definitely go someplace safe and try dropping the slide a few times to make sure it's not going to happen again.
  That would be a real attention getter. :o
Glad your OK and no one was hurt.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 01:43:27 AM »
OMG--First time I've ever heard of this.  
**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:28:09 AM »
WOW!

Thanks for sharing.

If it was my gun, no two ways about, it would not go back in my pocket untit it got the badge of approval from R or R.

And then, I would want a detailed report.

Good luck, I hope you get the answer you need.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 07:34:36 AM »
I agree with Reinz. I would send it back before carrying it again.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 08:23:59 AM »
I keep going over it in my mind, thinking maybe there was some way the trigger got depressed. I'd almost prefer it--negligence sucks, but it's fixable. As it is, I'm left with no explanation and a gun I've carried for years but no longer trust. But every time I replay it in my head... there's just no way. Something's wrong with my gun, and I need to figure out what. I'm gonna call Rohrbaugh and Robar tomorrow.

Sure wishing you the best.  Glad you're safe; Rohrbaugh and Robar will take care of the problem, however, I know these words aren't sufficient.  
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:46:57 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 10:51:19 AM »
nase:

First of all, slam fires can be a real nightmare if one does not keep the gun pointed in a safe direction when the round is being chambered. You are to be commended for having done so.

My long-distance diagnosis would be that something was fouling the firing pin chamber causing the pin to protrude a bit. Also, a high primer can contribute to the possibility of a slam fire, although the "usual suspect," I would think, is a fouled pin chamber. Another problem is that the slide apparently failed to go properly into battery. That could be due to a number of reasons requiring a proper diagnosis. It could, however, have been due to a protruding firing pin which did not strike the primer with enough force until the slide was pushed into battery.

Your post serves to remind us once again that the unexpected should always be expected when loading our firearms and of the importance of adherence to Colonel Cooper's Rules.  

Again, I commend you on your obviously careful gun handling. As it is, a little spackle and some paint should repair the wall. Otherwise, things could have been tragic.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »
nase,

Please keep us posted on this.  I'm very interested (as are all, I suspect) in hearing what Rohrbaugh says about your experience...
**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 01:11:19 PM »
I agree with Richard about the firing pin being stuck in the "fire" position.  I shoot auto mags and have heard of it happening and it scares the hell out of me.
My first R9 had some "fried egg" primers on Hornady ammo and it appeared parts of the primer were going back into the firing pin cavity.  This also happened several times with a Colt pocket nine I have.  To me, it seems the pressure levels spiked higher in these two firearms than in others.

Has anyone else noticed this happening?

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 08:19:02 PM »
The firing pin is easily removed, inspected, cleaned, lubricated and reinstalled.

Should take about 5 minutes. You may want to give it try?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:19:51 PM by wolverine_450 »

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 10:56:07 PM »
I am sure they will get it taken care of for you. They offer top notch customer service! :)

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 11:15:51 PM »
Scary situation - a very good illustration of why caution is necessary whenever handling any firearm. Keep that barrel downrange so no one gets hurt in a situation like this.

Reading the thoughts about a firing pin hanging forward echos my thoughts as well. This could not only cause the slam fire, but could explain why the slide didn't go fully into battery when you chambered the round - the cartridge must slide up the face of the slide as the round chambers and a protruding firing pin could have prevented that - as well as touching off the primer when it finally went into battery.

Rohrbaugh CS is second to none and they will get this fixed for you. Good luck and stay safe.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 02:54:51 PM »
Man... something just occurred to me. What if it actually *had* gone into battery without me tapping on the back of the slide. If the firing pin is protruding and it does that, it's a recipe for uncontrolled full-auto fire. With a reasonably powerful cartridge, in a tiny gun that I'm not really holding onto very tight.

I think I got pretty lucky that my hand was back there behind the slide to stop it from cycling (it actually trapped the spent brass inside the chamber). As cut up as my palm got from the slide slamming into it, it's a lot better than the potential of full-auto.

Good Lord. Someone was watching out for me last night, and I didn't even think about this aspect of it until right now.

nase:

That nightmare scenario you describe could possibly have happened, but I would think the firing pin would have had to be essentially "welded by fouling" in the exposed position for the force of the initial recoil not to have reseated it back into its channel.

I've been called obsessive-compulsive with regard to the care in handling and attention to detail I give to my firearms, particularly the ones I carry for personal defense. But I've seen what can happen unexpectedly with firearms. As a result, I've adopted a ritual of sorts for loading, unloading, and cleaning a gun.

I never work with a gun if I have had an alcoholic drink or taken medication which might cause drowsiness. Before I pick up a gun or remove it from its holster, I remind myself of Cooper's Rules and take a moment to concentrate on what I am about to do. When I take a semi-automatic pistol to hand, I first remove the magazine, then clear the chamber, and then check the chamber a second time to insure that it is indeed empty. I never attempt to work on a gun while watching television or engaging in conversation. In fact, I prefer not to work on a gun if there is anyone else in the room.

When cleaning a pistol, I use the same routine each time -- following the steps recommended by the manufacturer. And I'm not too proud to have the owner's manual close by for possible reference, no matter how many times I may have read it or cleaned the gun. I examine each part individually, including the firing pin mechanism, and I take my time. When the pistol has been cleaned, lubricated, and reassembled, I check its function using Snap Caps and apply a protective coating of wax to the outer surface.

With regard to the pistol's ammunition, I unload all of the cartridges from the magazine, inspect each one individually for deformation or other defect, and wipe down each one with a silicone cloth. I then carefully reload the cartridges, starting with the one which came from the chamber, and make sure that each cartridge is fully and properly seated in the magazine.

Before I insert the magazine into the well, I retract the slide to insure once again that the chamber is empty and that the firing pin is fully retracted in its chamber. I then insert the magazine into the well and slowly chamber a round while pointing the muzzle in a safe direction. Last, I carefully give the outer surface of the pistol a final light wipe with a silicone cloth, avoiding the trigger, and insert the gun into its holster.

I've been carrying handguns for some fifty years now and (thanks be to a merciful God) have not experienced a mishap or negligent discharge. However, since I constantly remind myself that "Murphy's Law" applies to firearms as well as other aspects of life, I treat a gun with something approaching profound reverence -- even though I carry at least one at all times legally possible every day of the year.

Thank you for posting your experience with the slam fire. It serves as a valuable reminder for us all of the responsibilities we assume by electing to use and carry firearms.

Good luck, and stay safe!

[size=10]Edit: Typo. &  1st para.[/size]
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:18:41 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Marshbrook

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »
nase... thank you for posting this....Richard, you put it best...the unexpected should always be expected... I am going to have my son read this post tonight...he is now starting to show an interest in firearms and needs to know unexpected things can happen!

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 10:46:08 PM »
Richard

Excellent advice. Thanks for posting this, we all need a reminder once in a while.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 10:59:50 PM »
This is, one, of the reasons, I think, why people keep trying to tell me not to hit the back of a slide...  I do it out of instinct, but I think the right procedure might be to rack the gun instead...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.