Author Topic: r9 trigger pull  (Read 5027 times)

Offline howards

r9 trigger pull
« on: November 02, 2011, 06:30:23 PM »
1.  what is the factory trigger pull weight of a stealth r9?

2.  has anyone tried to lower this weight and with what results?

3.  can someone recommend a gunsmith to lower the trigger pull weight?

thanks.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: r9 trigger pull
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:12:51 PM »
1.  what is the factory trigger pull weight of a stealth r9?

2.  has anyone tried to lower this weight and with what results?

3.  can someone recommend a gunsmith to lower the trigger pull weight?

thanks.

howards:  

1.  According to an Article in American Rifleman, the trigger pull of a Rohrbaugh Stealth R9 is 11 lbs;  others may disagree, but this is according to the article.    

http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?cid=24&id=1932

2 & 3.  I don't have any answers; but will quote from a member, John (yankee 2500):  I like the trigger pull, as is!    :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:29:10 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:29:17 PM »

3. It is not necessary because it is smooth, continuous, and no stacking.

2. For the above reason, very few people have attempted to have a gunsmith do an action job on the R9. Some models like the Elite may have a slightly smoother trigger because of the handwork aspect of that model.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 08:34:59 PM »
Think twice before you let someone work on that part of the pistol.  The long some what stiff trigger pull is the safety on this type of firearm.  

When I started carrying, I started with a Colt Pony Pocketlite and then went to a Colt Pocket Nine.  Both of those triggers pulled harder than the R9.  They were not like my Clark Bullseye guns that I was used to, so I too wanted to get a "Trigger Job" on them.  No Gunsmith would work on them for safety concerns.  Also about the only way to lessen the pull is to go to a lighter hammer spring which sure isn't adviseable on a defense weapon.

My R9 has as good a trigger as anyone can expect on a DAO hammer fired pistol.

Just my opinion.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 09:17:34 PM »
Think twice before you let someone work on that part of the pistol.  The long some what stiff trigger pull is the safety on this type of firearm.  

Just my opinion.

Good opinion, MRC and tracker, too!  I agree.  Leave it be!    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 11:19:58 PM »
Another consideration:  should you, God forbid, end up shooting someone in self defense, you will almost certainly be sued by some family member with a sleazy attorney.  One of the first things they look for is an altered trigger pull, which allows the charge that you inadvertently pulled the lighter trigger which resulted in liability for injury or wrongful death.  Your defense of "hell no, I meant to kill the SOB" may not go over in certain states, although here in East Tennessee and in parts of Texas as well you might get applause from the jury.  Lighter triggers are great for target shooting, but NOT for self defense where fear, adrenaline and tunnel vision will fire the weapon for you if you aren't careful.  The R9 is the purest example of a close range self defense carry pistol, and should be left alone.  Just my opinion.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline 08055

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 11:39:28 PM »
The trigger pull of my R9s is better than the trigger pull of my Para PDA LDA.   I think the trigger pull of the R9 is better than any DAO  pistol.  ;)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 10:29:50 PM »
My R9's trigger pull was deemed to be eight pounds in 2004, and is the same today. And it is smooth, with no stacking. What is not to like about that?

By way of affirmation:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1274194424;start=0#0
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 11:07:51 PM »
Mine is smooooooth as well, all three; never have measured the trigger pull; never had a need.    :)

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 04:51:37 AM »
Mine is smooooooth as well, all three; never have measured the trigger pull; never had a need.    :)

Same here, my stealth has a pretty nice trigger. It sure feels lighter than it is. In a stress fire situation I'm not sure it will make much difference except to those who are exceptionally well trained.