Author Topic: My Wife Reacts Under Pressure  (Read 2882 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
My Wife Reacts Under Pressure
« on: October 07, 2005, 10:50:55 AM »
This past weekend we are at Tampa International Airport.  I am picking up my wife, who has just flown in from a family function with her sisters and parents, uncle, etc.  My kids (6 years old and 8 years old) stayed home with me and came along to pick up their mom.

We are standing in baggage claim, near the outside doors, waiting for the baggage belt to start.  My wife notices an older woman she doesn't recognize walk up to my 6 year old, put her arm around her, and start walking/pulling her quickly toward the exit doors 10 feet away!

My wife reacts immediately.  She yells something like -- "Hey!  Stop!  That is my child!"  Shen then runs up behind her, pulls my daughter away with one hand, and starts to give this woman a full body check into the glass wall beside the door!  As she is getting ready to slam this woman into the wall/ground, she realizes it is her mother!  :o  

We didn't even think her parents were coming down to baggage claim and her mother had recently changed her hair color....  It was a very reasonable mistake.  I had a heads up only because I saw her father walk up to me right at the same time.

The interesting part of the story (other than questioning my mother-in-law's judgment) was my wife's reaction.  She did not hesitate to alert people around that this was going down and jump right into a physical confrontation with a "stranger."  I don't think the reaction would have been different if the "abductor" was 6' 2" and 220 pounds.

Also very encouraging to me was the reaction of bystanders.  A lot of people turned to see what was going on.  One very imposing-looking guy comming through the doors assessed the situation quickly and stopped to block the door so no one could go out.  Another guy was half out of his seat to "pile on" to the would be abductor.   I stood watching this unfold, knowing this was a mistake, but it all happend too fast.  Seeing strangers immediately coming to my wife's aid though, was uplifting.

A story that none of us will soon forget...  ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 12:13:03 PM by admin »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
Re: My Wife Reacts Under Pressure
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 10:57:28 AM »
Good story.
Bravo to your lady wife!
Hope your mother-in-law understood...
Humani nihil alienum

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 11:01:35 AM »
Terrific story, Duane!

It's comforting to know that everyone reacted properly to stop the "offender".  I bet her mother was surprised.  She will be pleased to know the grandkids are well protected.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 12:08:30 PM »
That is a wonderful story!  Kudos to your wife.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 03:19:48 PM »
Very good response by the Wife,  and I'm sure this will be related to many times by your family members.
RJ=

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 05:24:07 PM »
Wow!  I'm glad it turned out the way it did.
Maybe I'm getting paranoid in my old age, but what would have happened if this incident occured in a mall - and your wife was carrying?  If a "stranger" was walking off with my six year old grandson (not likely, he's a real moose) I'm sure I'd have my hand on my gun and be struggling with tactics of how to get the kid away without closing to contact range of the stranger.

Any suggestions from the LEO's on th forum?

BTW: If the stranger started to move fast, my internal struggle would be over.  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 08:44:23 PM »
Darn it Duane - permission please to laugh - very loudly! :D :D

Hopefully now in retrospect everyone can have a chuckle but certainly at the time - kudos to Mrs Gator :)  Moms need to keep alert always - it is in such situations where parents do not keep a watch that abductions can and have occured.

Great story and yeah - it will I am sure go down in the family annals for evermore!

"Honey - tell them about that time at the airport ........" ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 11:06:58 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Yes -- she did a great job, no doubt.  And yes, her mother should have her head examined for that little joke.  Although funny now, Grandma really could have gotten hurt.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 11:17:16 PM »
Duane
Took my wife out to dinner after she had another hard day at work from a bad week.  She got in a much better mood after I related your story.  Thanks for making the evening.
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."