Author Topic: Good, New Book  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Good, New Book
« on: December 07, 2005, 11:50:00 AM »
"1776" by ???  Same guy who did a really great book about building the Panama Canal -- I think he must be a pretty conservative author -- anyone who makes you feel that positive about T.R. and G.W. can't be too far left.  I just wanted to encourage ya'll to read it -- really sinks home how much our forebearers went through to be free -- and what a country can achieve when lead by real men, rather than...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: Good, New Book
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 03:58:04 PM »
We need more good books like this, to remind us all why we became such a wonderful country. It just makes US fill good about our history.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 09:00:47 PM »
I agree; my 7th generation patriot ancestor fought and
defeated Col. Patrick Ferguson and his Tories at the Battle
of King's Mountain in S.C.. The N.C. and S.C. Militias joined
with the Overmountain Men of Tennessee in this most
pivotal battle of The Revolutionary War on Oct. 7, 1780.  

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 01:04:31 AM »
It's a great book that I thoroughly enjoyed on CD! It was the unabridged edition and I listened to it twice. (I really like books on tape/CD as I drive quite a bit but the abridged versions aren't worth it, IMHO) It was just fascinating to me as I was reminded of how many battles that Washington and his army actually lost throughout the entire lengthy war. They actually won but a few, but the wins were (obviously) the important ones.

I wish more of our 'citizens' understood history relative to our current conflicts in the war on terrorism. Many of of the worlds epic wars were won in the end with a few decisive battles preceded by many losses.
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline J_Oei

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 06:11:55 PM »
For good "gun" books, read:

Unintended Consequences - by John Ross
   Mandatory reading for all members of the gun culture, and a
   history of our erosion of gun rights.

Point of Impact - Stephen Hunter
   Written by an author who definitely knows guns.
   Great for Winchester M70 fans!!!
  (There are rumors that it will soon be a movie with Tommy Lee Jones in the role of Bob Lee Swagger.)