Miscellaneous > Other Guns

Someone stop me...

(1/3) > >>

DDGator:
I seem to have an obssession with small, expensive, slightly quirky guns...

At the Gun Show this weekend I picked up a Kimber Ultra RCP (Refined Carry Pistol).  This is an Ultra-sized gun (officers grip with 3" barrel) with some "refinements" -- all black finish, abbreviated grip safety and hammer, low profile thumb safety, extra thin grips, completely dehorned, and a no-snag "trench" sight.  This was new in the box, but old stock as these were only made in 2003.

This is the only 1911 I would consider appropriate for pocket carry, and I have my pocket holster order in to Kevin already.

This should do me until the R-45...

rtw:
DDGator, I'll be interested in your review of the Kimber and the perspective it gives you about a "pocket" .45.

Can we see a comparison photo of it next to a R9?

Thanks.

Dick

DDGator:
I will let you know.  It will be a little bit before I have the holster in hand.  If there is such thing as a 1911 that is pocketable -- this is it.  

I have carried it around in a cobbled up pocket holster enough to know its possible in jeans -- but not in dress pants.

The more typical carry with be IWB, but I would still like a Pocket Holster just for kicks and the occasional trip to the store or whatever.

I will take a comparision photo later when I get a chance.

BillinPittsburgh:
Duane,

How do you plan to protect the safety from getting unintentionally wiped off while in your pocket?

Let us know how well the sight works.

DDGator:
The thumb safety is pretty stiff.  Kevin is going to design the holster to come up high enough to protect the safety from inadvertant contact with the edges of the pocket.  Of course, there will be nothing else in the pocket...

Stuffing the gun into an improvised holster and wearing it around the house for a day (cocked and locked, but unloaded), even without any protection for the safety, I was able to do housework/yardwork and all kinds of movements without disengaging the safety.  I tend to think it won't be an issue, but I will test it thoroughly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version