Author Topic: first range trip, finally..  (Read 8965 times)

Offline Auto.default

first range trip, finally..
« on: August 27, 2011, 06:16:03 PM »

put approx. 100+ rounds through her today (pics were at 7 yards shooting)..  first malfunction was on the second magazine, where she failed to extract the empty case.. after that first malf., she went through 6 more mags with only 2 more FTEs.. this was with a mixture of WWB and Federal ball.. i then moved her onto some sabers.. the first few rounds went without any hiccups, but then she started hanging up a bit, by not going fully into battery (i let her cool off then, after remembering reading about the "overheating" problems).. after cooling her off, she started shooting fine again.. until, the chambered round would not go off after the hammer dropped.. i checked the right side grip screw, and it was starting to back out (even though i had used fingernail polish to somewhat lock it in).. after tightening the screw (kind of sorta, with thumb pressure, as i did not have my allen wrench w/ me), she started firing off again.. finished the last of the sabers without fail.. anyway, i'm going to tear her down and clean her/lube her... i plan on putting another 50 rounds through her later this week..  and if she runs 100%, she'll be ready for carry duty..  
PUP = perfect undercover pistol

Offline valleyranch

Re: first range trip, finally..
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 08:33:23 PM »
Hello Auto ,

Nice report and good shooting.

Yesterday I got my Stealth , and today too it was my first range trip.  I actually chuckled a bit when I read your report, only because its a mirror image on what I experienced today. Difference is I only went through 60 rounds not 100 but did finish the last two mags with Sabers.  My first mag  went through a malfunction FTE, I started with Winchester ball target round. After that the third clip same thing FTE.  I had a total of 3 Malfunctions , I did not panic, I let it cool off a bit and finished strong with some sabers.  I had no issues with screws, looked good.

I will go next weekend again and reevaluate , I will change to a different load and hope not experience anymore FTE's.  I plan to do 80 rounds at a easier pace.

Thanks for your report , Valleyranch..

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 02:53:50 AM »
Those are not "bad" range reports per se.   Sometimes it takes a little settling down on both ends and getting acquainted.

Thanks for sharing.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 10:33:11 AM »
Had similar experiences early on and learned:
1.  R9 needs excellent lubrication to perform flawlessly. Did you lube and clean after buying?
2.  You can't limp wrist
3.  Pup is ammo sensitive.  Gold dots seem to be the consensus round. Although some do like sabres, silvertips, and others they don't always work in certain guns.  Find what your pistol likes and stick to it.
4.  Loose grip will cause problems.  There are several threads including one in the past 24 hours on this topic.
5.  This is not basically a range gun, but rather a short-range self defense weapon.  It is important that it fire the first seven rounds every time for carry but less important that it will fire when really hot after 30 rounds.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 10:59:19 AM »
Had similar experiences early on and learned:
1.  R9 needs excellent lubrication to perform flawlessly. Did you lube and clean after buying?
2.  You can't limp wrist
3.  Pup is ammo sensitive.  Gold dots seem to be the consensus round. Although some do like sabres, silvertips, and others they don't always work in certain guns.  Find what your pistol likes and stick to it.
4.  Loose grip will cause problems.  There are several threads including one in the past 24 hours on this topic.
5.  This is not basically a range gun, but rather a short-range self defense weapon.  It is important that it fire the first seven rounds every time for carry but less important that it will fire when really hot after 30 rounds.

Excellent list with #5 being the key to happiness as a pup owner. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 11:04:03 AM »
Good reports default & ranch, clean, lube and do it again. :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 01:32:22 PM »
valleyranch.  Congrats on getting the Stealth and thanks for the range report from you and Auto.d.  

backupr9.  Good list.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Auto.default

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 06:26:15 PM »
i was really pleased with this gun, don't get me wrong..  after it breaks in (and finds what it likes to digest), i'm sure that it will fire off all 7 loaded rounds without fail..  and its intended combat/accuracy range exceeded my expectations, even at 10 yards..

backupr9, i did not lube the weapon, post new sale..  i only took her down and made sure that there were no burrs on the contact surfaces..  and yes, gold dot ammo is sure to be the steady diet, once i decide to finally locate some...  as for the loose grip screws, i will apply some blue loctite before the next range outing...

valleyranch, thanks for sharing your range experience as well.. i look forward to your next range report..  

J.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 09:41:58 PM »
auto.default,
I have come to love my R9...it is my constant backup and often my primary carry depending on season, clothing, etc. (Primary carry usually Kimber Ultra CDP II .45).
Some do advocate only keeping 6 rounds in the magazine of the R9, as many of the problems seem to occur with the 2nd round from a fully loaded magazine.  There is a wealth of information here and I only wish that I had discovered this forum much earlier.  Welcome to the group...your shooting is impressive.  keep us posted with your impressions regarding the Pup as time goes on.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline valleyranch

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 12:13:09 AM »
Hello All,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

I decided to go back again today and stop messing around and use Gold Dots and Sabers I had left over.  Three clips at a casual pace, first clip Gold Dots , first two rounds dead center at 7 yards. The rest hit around a 4 inch group.  I took my time, loaded up two mags with Sabers. Again, great results no hiccups. I am confident and moving forward it will be inside my pocket.

I am very pleased with this gun, well made, superb accuracy
and all out masterpiece.  

I have striped it , cleaned it and lubed it for pocket duty.  As mentioned I am fully satisfied, 5 or 6 months down the road will run two more clips for fun.  Repeat cycle, clean and lube with fresh rounds.  I will follow up with a second range report of the 6 month anniversary after firing those two clips.

Thanks again to all, talk to you guys soon.

Valleyranch

Offline Auto.default

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 01:13:56 AM »
great to hear about your newest results valleyranch, as i hope to mirror your results my next time out..  i just finished w/ her cleaning/lubing.. and comparing the used spring to the new/replacement spring, the used one is about 1/4 inch shorter.. i did not replace the spring just yet, will wait until after my next range trip..  hope that this will not pose a problem..

Offline Auto.default

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 12:02:39 PM »
newest update: my R9 digested 50 rounds of gold dots this past weekend, with only 3 ftes.. will change out the original spring  today, and run another 50 rounds through her this weekend, hopefully.. also hoping that she will run 100%...

Offline DFG

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 09:49:20 AM »
I have had 0 failures in my last 100 rounds or so using only gold dots or silvertips.  Good Luck,    DFG

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 10:29:10 PM »
I have had 0 failures in my last 100 rounds or so using only gold dots or silvertips.  Good Luck,    DFG

Great range trip, DFG.  Thanks for sharing!  

Auto.  Hope your next trip is 100% with the new spring.  Wishing for you the best.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Auto.default

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 12:38:33 AM »
latest range report 2 days ago, with the mini 9s..

i love this rohrbaugh..  she went through 12 mags, with only 1 failure to eject (during the 6th mag).. hang up was easily cleared, and went back to running 100%..  ammo was 115 gr gold dot..  here's a target pic of the last few mags with her at 7 yards..  my shooting with her is getting a bit better, even though i was letting a round fly every 2 seconds, instead of taking my time..