Author Topic: Carrying chambered / R9 and passive safety  (Read 7981 times)

Offline sablystone

Carrying chambered / R9 and passive safety
« on: January 24, 2012, 11:20:14 AM »
Hello everybody.  I would like to carry my R9 chambered more often than not.  Does the R9 have a passive safety built in?  Do most you all carry chambered?  I am just being too nervous being concerned about a passive safety?  thanks!!!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Carrying chambered / R9 and passive safety
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 11:29:44 AM »
The R9 is absolutely designed to be carried with a round in the chamber.  Carry it in a proper holder that covers the trigger and you have no worries.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 11:33:52 AM »
Hello everybody.  I would like to carry my R9 chambered more often than not.  Does the R9 have a passive safety built in?  Do most you all carry chambered?  I am just being too nervous being concerned about a passive safety?  thanks!!!

Always carry your R9 in a good holster that covers the trigger......always have a round in the chamber ... :)
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 11:56:29 AM »

sablystone.  Welcome to the Forum and what the above have said.  Enjoy!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline sablystone

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:19:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies and help! 

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:51:09 PM »
If you carry any gun with an empty chamber you may as well leave it at home, the number of times you would be offered the time to draw and rack the slide in an SD situation are probably slim.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
 There is no firing pin block or disconnect on the R9. The hammer being flush to the slide should limit the chance of an A/D if the pistol is dropped. As stated earlier a pocket holster that covers the trigger is a must. Given all of this, a round in the chamber is the only way to go.

Robar233

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 10:39:51 PM »

Well said, Robar. I don't think Godzilla could make this gun fire if he put his best shot on the back of the hammer with a tack hammer unless he pulled the trigger.

Offline bama

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 09:18:45 PM »
If you carry any gun with an empty chamber you may as well leave it at home, the number of times you would be offered the time to draw and rack the slide in an SD situation are probably slim.
Excellent point, and I couldn't agree more!
Dr John Meade
Director of Tactical Medicine
Suarez International

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 07:56:28 AM »

I ALWAYS carry my R9 with a round chambered. Passive safety often means a firing pin block that prevents the firing pin from making contact with the primer unless the trigger is pulled - but that's not the only approach to passive safety and prevention of accidental discharge. As Robar points out, the R9 hammer is recessed into the slide making it nearly impossible for a blow to the hammer to cause a discharge, but there are other accepted methods of building safety into a pistol to safeguard against an AD if the pistol is dropped.

A common one involves careful design of the firing pin mass, the travel of the firing pin and the force exerted by the firing pin spring keeping the firing pin from traveling forward, and it's this approach the Rohrbaugh uses to address passive safety requirements. I feel totally comfortable with this approach and totally comfortable carrying with one in the pipe.

Offline Blueeyedme

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 10:11:31 AM »
++1  In total agreement with what everyone has said, but I will take it step further.

I don't own a firearm that doesn't have an inserted full magazine and a round in the chamber at all times including those sitting in my safe.  An unloaded gun is an expensive rock...

In the immortal words of Col. Jeff Cooper...
Rule I: All guns are always loaded (in my case it's true...)
Rule II:  Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy
Rule III:  Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target
Rule IV:  Be sure of your target (and what's behind it)

Offline sablystone

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 08:30:31 PM »
Again, thanks for all the great information and advice.  What a well put together pistol

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 10:25:31 PM »
SablYstone

Welcome to the forum Congratulations on owning a PUP. Do enjoy. :)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 11:59:20 AM »
I tuned in late to this discussion, but "one up the spout" is the only way to go with this 13-ounce  masterpiece. Being a DAO design and having a long, smooth trigger pull of about 8-pounds, there is no way in Hades it is going to fire unless the trigger is pulled.

___

Edited to add that, as noted above, the pistol should be carried in a quality holster that covers the trigger.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:59:02 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 12:22:30 PM »
Having carried a sidearm professionally since 1972, on a daily basis, and having been a professional firearms instructor full time for a major LE agency, I say without a doubt that if you decide to carry a defensive sidearm without a round in the chamber, you should not even consider carrying.   You are wasting your time and money.  Just get a good set of track shoes and run.... in a bad situation.     A weapon like the Rohrbaugh carried in a pocket or inside your waistband will not be fast to deploy to start with.   It's main advantage is stealth and surprise.   IF you add racking the slide into the equation at a time when you are in a hurry the advantage goes to the threat.    Add to that, the fact that a very likely occurance that can happen is to short cycle the slide leaving you with a sound and no round, which is common for people who are both hurried and having a high adrenaline dump during crisis.

This is a bit reminiscent of the old military rules which called for soldiers in combat to carry 1911A1's with a 7 round magazine and none in the chamber and when needed to withdraw the weapon from the old flap holster and rack the slide.   Even today there are those who are afraid of a 1911 series having a mind of it's own and so they fail to carry with a round in the chamber.   That is faulty logic and is in part a product of a litigious society and in part a product of a lack of training, practice, and confidence.   If you have the training and practice and are still asking that question, keep working on it until the confidence develops.   Then you will know the answer to the question.   
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms