Author Topic: question about safety  (Read 3499 times)

Offline 08055

question about safety
« on: July 15, 2012, 07:35:21 PM »
I presume the majority of Rohrbaugh owners carry our R9s  loaded 6+1.     The hammer of the R9 is resting on the firing pin itself.   I noticed on dry firing that once we let the trigger fully forward,  the hammer depresses the firing pin into the frame.   Since the firing pin is pushed forward, the hammer is resting on the frame.   In revolvers, this safety issue is addressed by the transfer bar.   In many pistols, there is a firing pin block.   Our R9 has no transfer bar and has no firing pin block.       Is this ever a safety issue on our R9s ? 

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline 08055

Re: question about safety
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 10:41:04 PM »
Thanks Richard S.       I have always carried the R9 with a round in the chamber since I acquired it about 2 years ago.     The reason I started thinking about this question recently is after I  have read something about an accidental discharge that happened in a Freedom Arms Model 83.   I think what makes  the R9 different is that the  hammer of the R9 is  flush to the slide. 

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:51:32 PM »

I just read about an off duty officer that had an A/D when given a hug. The person giving the hug was killed. I don't know what kind of belt holster was used, but it clearly was not a good one.
 Holster selection and practice with it as carried are not to be taken lightly, or leave it home in the safe.

Robar233

Offline Groundhog34

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:08:11 PM »
The of duty shooting reported by the media was as usual distorted. He had a Glock, I believe, in a shoulder holster. I lady came up behind him wrapped her arms around him, under his arm if that makes sense. She got her finger on the trigger and caused an accidental discharge. The important part is SHE PULLED THE TRIGGER.