Author Topic: My R9 is not acting right  (Read 7258 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
My R9 is not acting right
« on: April 29, 2015, 10:31:09 PM »
A while ago I was shooting 147gr std pressure HST through my R9 when the retaining pin sheered.  I bought a new pin from bamboobob - great guy, and I ran some 124gr Lawman TMJ through the R9 with no problems.  When I first got the R9 - it would cycle 147gr Winchester Ranger "T" - RA9T, but now it won't.

In 14 rounds since the pin sheered I've gotten 2 double feeds, 2 light strikes /  failure to ignite, and 1 FTE.  The gun was clean and properly lubed.

The R9 still cycles 124gr Lawman but it won't shoot Ranger "T" any longer.

I'm not sure if I should send the gun in to be looked at or what.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:32:44 PM by C0untZer0 »

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: My R9 is not acting right
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 06:13:59 AM »
The replacement retaining pin? . . . . . I am assuming that is what you are calling the pin that holds the barrel and slide, what we used to call the top end, onto the frame. If it is, the correct terminology for that part is the barrel pin. That pin has a measurement of .1558" plus .0000" and minus .0005". Hopefully the replacement pin meets that criteria.

As for the other issues you seem to be having with the R9 now after the new pin has been installed:

Did the gun function well prior to the pin break? . . . . . or did you always have some sort of issue with it?
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 09:11:52 AM »
Before the pin sheered, my R9 functioned well with 124gr Speer Gold Dot, 124gr and 147gr Lawman TMJ, 147gr Winchester Ranger "T" Series - RA9T, 147gr std pressure HST and 124gr Blazzer Brass . 

It didn't seem to like 147gr bonded Golden Saber, I had light strikes and "fried egg" primers on fired brass so I just stopped shooting the Golden Sabers.

I've never fires +P ammo in it.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 06:34:50 AM »
Your particular R9 is typical of a few R9s out there, of which we had a small number of them come back for just that reason. I found the problem to be a simple fix sometimes. If I was testing an R9 with Golden Sabers and had the same problem you have with them, I would check my batch numbers on the factory box the ammo came in. I would take a different batch numbered box, shoot a mag through the gun and usually would fire fine! I also noticed that if I just cleaned and oiled the gun and installed a fresh outer recoil spring, it would also work fine. We are right "on the edge" there with the Golden Sabers and the R9. Common knowledge is Remington ammunition is known for their hard primers, something an R9 is not a fan of. You have plenty of other excellent choices that you have mentioned that work well, simply use those and you shouldn't have a problem. The fried egg look on fired the Golden Saber rounds is due to those rounds having a relatively high pressure behind them causing the primer to flatten out by slamming against the breech face. While Golden Sabers are not a +P round, they do run at a higher pressure range than other standard rated ammunition. We have used that ammunition, along with others, to test R9s that came in for warranty work. I even carried it in my own personal R9 off and on daily for months. My most favorite round for it though is the 124 grain Gold Dots. If you feel you can't live without using Golden Saber ammo, you may have to send it in for "a tweaking" to Williams. I, personally, would just simply refrain from using that ammo and use the other top ammo choices you mentioned that do work well in it.   
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:36:41 AM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 04:43:36 PM »
When Eric visited Joyce and me recently here at Critter Creek I still had 124-grain Remington Golden Sabers in my R9. I had previously announced on this Forum an intention to cease using that ammunition as a matter of principle. I can now announce that I was able to score a good supply of standard-pressure 124-grain Speer LE Gold Dots, and the switch is being made in pistol and spare magazines.

I'm also carrying my R9 with some black carbon fiber grips, the inside of which Eric graciously autographed for me. I've also retired all elephant hide and ivory accessories and am again using one of the late R. J. Hedley's Special Edition pocket holsters. It's back to basics these days. On May 14, I'll try to post in the Forum's  photo thread a picture of the rig to commemorate the eleventh anniversary of my taking delivery of this extraordinary pistol following a two-year wait. It has been my EDC since that time.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 08:34:11 PM »
Well said Richard!  We are packing all week for our move to Florida and the gunsafes, ammo and almost all firearms are already in the house there thanks to UHaul.  The only handguns now in TN are my bedside HK USPC .40 with a Streamlite and my EDC R9 Covert, which never leaves my side unless I am legally constrained from carry (wine at a restaurant, Post Office,etc.).  My usual carry is a DeSantis pocket holster...cheap, light, effective.  The fancy leather lanquishes in a storage box, treated with leather balm or as recommended every 4 months, used only for showing off at barbeques (not many of those out there recently).  So far, Gold Dot 124 is my carry ammo, but Federal HST 124 seems to be as predictable and is thought to be a better self defense round by many, so I am collecting a bit of that also and will possibly switch....need to find a range in Amelia Island or nearby soon.

Gonna be off line as of end of this week except for phone and, for a while, the IPAD.  Best to all.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 09:42:07 PM »
John:

Have a safe journey. I am sure you and your lovely wife are going to have a wonderful and well deserved retirement on Amelia Island. Plan to stop by Critter Creek when you are back in the mountains.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 09:45:08 PM »
It sounds like a change of seasons and a season of change in East Tennessee. Bon voyage to Fernandina Beach and Amelia Island, John--a beautiful place. We'll see you down the road.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 04:09:26 PM »
I can live without Golden Sabres but not being able to shoot 147gr Ranger "T" Series is really bugging me.

I'm going to score some 124gr HST, and if that works in my R9 then OK, but I wonder why my R9 would cycle the 147gr just fine and then all of a sudden change - I've experienced it out of the same box of Rangers, and different boxes.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 04:41:27 PM »
Then there is something wrong with it. Time to send it in to Williams for a checkup.   ;)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 08:52:50 PM »
I went back to 124gr Gold Dots and haven't had problems.

I only have about 50 rounds through the gun on the new spring, but I'm wondering if maybe I should try a new outer spring?

It used to be impossible to get the spring assembly in the slide without a tool or pliers and now I can do it with my bare hands.  I don't know - maybe the 147gr HSTs I shot through my R9 compressed the spring more than normal?  Or maybe  the spring isn't broken in enough for the RA9T, when I first got the gun I think I put 150 rounds of 124gr Gold Dots before trying RA9T.

I carry it loaded with 124gr Gold Dots for now...

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 02:51:27 PM »
The outer recoil spring should be about a 1/4" above the guide rod when placed on the sleeve. If it is even with the front of the guide rod, that spring is worn. You can do a "temporary fix" by stretching it out slightly and reinstalling it in the gun while you order new outer recoil springs. You mention you changed a spring. . . . then you mention that maybe now you will change the outer recoil spring. Does this mean you had access to and changed the INNER recoil spring!? Wow - Good for you Sir!

Eric R.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 09:27:27 PM »
No, I've only ever changed the outer recoil spring and only once after 200 rounds.

I'm only on my second spring :)

I did check the spring and even though its not anywhere near 200 rounds it seemed compressed and weak - compared to a new spring and the previous spring.

I'll see if it cycles RA9T with the new spring.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 01:36:56 PM »
I put a new Wolff spring in and the little Rohrbaugh is spitting out the RA9T like a champ again.

I had no problems.

I think when the barrel pin broke I messed up the spring on the subsequent shots, either that or 147gr just wears the spring out more quickly.

Anyway I put a new spring in and shot Winchester 147gr Ranger "T" Series today and the gun works fine.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 04:30:22 PM »
Great to hear this Count! . . . . . . You take care now and Stay Safe out there son.   8)