Author Topic: Tuckable holster  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Kapismian

Tuckable holster
« on: October 10, 2006, 12:29:28 AM »
Can anyone reccommend a good tuckable holster for the R9S?  The type that can be carried in the small of the back.  I cannot find one in here, although I may have looked in the wrong places.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Tuckable holster
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 08:10:46 AM »
Kapismian:

The only "tuckable" holster I own is one of Mitch Rosen's "Workman" models for my 1911.  I would assume that he could make one for your R9.  

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/product_line.html

Galco also used to offer a "tuckable" line of holsters.  They don't seem to list the Rohrbaugh on their site, but it might be worth a call to their Custom Shop.

http://www.usgalco.com/ShopAlbum.asp

Good luck.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 10:11:03 PM »
I cannot recommend either a tuckable holster or a holster worn over the small of the back.

If you fall backwards with something solid and bulky over your spine, you risk spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair.  The gun will not be comfortable while sitting, will print horribly while bending at the waist, and is not in an easy position to defend from being snatched.

I have tried about 6 or 7 tuckable holsters, and have not found a single one that works well.  As soon as the shirt is tucked in, there is a highly visible gun-shaped bulge.  If there is a belt attachment, it is usually visible as well.  If not, for example, a belly band worn at belt level, it is difficult to keep the gun in the right position relative to the pants waistband.

If you need to carry with your shirt tucked in and no cover garment, use a pocket holster.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 10:22:33 PM »
I cannot recommend either a tuckable holster or a holster worn over the small of the back.

In truth, I don't like the "tuckable" much either, and although I own a small-of-the back holster for the 1911, I never wear it for the reasons Bill states.  When carrying my 1911, depending on my mode of dress, I generally use a Clipdraw, a Yaqui Paddle, or a LAW Concealment IWB.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Kapismian

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 01:24:27 AM »
Apologies for such a belated reply.  I have been up to my ears in the aftermath of the North Korean nuclear test (if it really was a nuclear test).

Richard S. We were in the old 4th Armored during the same period.  I had B/3/51st Infantry, 2nd Brigade, in Erlangen, then was battalion S2/S1.  We had only 11 officers in the battalion.

General reply to both respondents.  Thank you both for your assistance and comments.  I, however, must disagree with you.  I have carried a handgun, mostly concealed, since I was 18, in situations ranging from ground combat through special operations and intelligence duties.  I have carried about 90% of the time in the small of the back and have fallen on my back, butt,  and every other portion of my anatomy more times than I can remember.  I have yet to be injured by the gun.

To expand on that comment, let me add that I am sure one of the reasons I have not been hurt is that I don't carry a 1911 in that manner.  In fact I never (except a couple of times when there was no other choice) carried a 1911 concealed.  My reason for this is fairly simple.  To get a 1911 in action with reasonable speed, it must be carried cocked and locked and when one has seen as many serious accidents resulting from carrying a 1911 cocked and locked concealed (including one who lost a leg), one has a strong disincentive to ever do so.

For clarity let me further add:  The 1911 is a fine combat handgun, although it more a superior cartridge than the weapon.  I have been in 13 gunfights, 4 of them using a 1911.  An example was when in Xuan Loc, Vietnam I looked across a street just in time to see a Vietnamese pulling a Tokarev from his waistband.  I was carrying a 1911 in an old Bern-Martin holster, cocked and locked, and managed to fire first.  Point being, that is a use where a 1911 shines.

When you come right down to it, however, with kudos to Saint Cooper and the "cult of the 1911," there are many superior weapons out there today.  Even in the case of our R9, keep in mind one of its lineal ancestors, the "chopped and channeled" S&W Model 39 called the Asp and used by the CIA for many years.  It won a lot of gunfights too, and it wasn't a 1911.

Again thanks for your help.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 07:39:27 AM »
Richard S. We were in the old 4th Armored during the same period.  I had B/3/51st Infantry, 2nd Brigade, in Erlangen, then was battalion S2/S1.  We had only 11 officers in the battalion.

Kapismian:

Small world!  I prosecuted a couple of general courts-martial out of Erlangen.  If I recall correctly, the Erlangen "O" Club had a bell on the bar which the uninformed rang at their financial peril.  If that was indeed the club at Erlangen and not Swabisch Gmünd or Crailsheim, I probably bought you a drink one night.  

Thank you for your continued service to our country!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 09:02:14 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 07:30:15 PM »
Kapismian,
Thanks for the "real deal" comments and for sharing some of
your experiences with us.

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 12:17:33 PM »
Welcome to this forum and many thanks for your service Kapismian. If you are so inclined ,I for one, would be very interested to here the details and outcomes of the 13 gunfights. With all due respect I underestand if you don't want to tell about these experiances.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline ROKTMAN

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 06:14:15 PM »
I can agree with most of what Kap said and believe that the 1911 is the best fighting handgun ever produced.It is unparaelled in getting into action fast.I have carried it cocked and locked for all the 22 years for my career .There were times in certain units where we we required to carry a 9mm .I chose the HK P7M8 which is one of the finest handgus in the world for a trained operator.I have nowhere near the number of gunfight experience though as Kap(2)

In the hands of an inexperienced operator the 1911 can be dangerous.That is why so many police agencies are mandating DAO operating systems for their officers.Like speed limits ,they mandate the rules for the masses .
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 03:00:50 AM by ROKTMAN »

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 10:24:58 PM »
While I don't think a great deal of damage is likely in a rear fall -- and I don't think just a regular one would do it, but something off a ladder/tree/etc might.  Your back's pretty resilient -- it took some real stupidity with a significant amount of weight to tank mine.  The problem would be if the hammer/beavertail/corner of the slide got driven back into a vertebrae.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 10:26:43 PM by Aglifter »
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.