Author Topic: Back pocket carry  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Expert
Back pocket carry
« on: February 24, 2008, 02:12:17 AM »
I've seen some "hybrid" holsters that look interesting. Ones that can be front pocket or snap on the square and it goes back pocket. How are the guns designed to be carried in the back pocket? Would it be for palm out draw or palm in? I would think it would be easier to grab the grip between the jeans and the grip as opposed to in between the leather and grip.

Offline Benjamin

• Sharpshooter
Re: Back pocket carry
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 11:33:26 AM »
 IMHO, the R9 was born to be worn in the rear pocket. I have 2 rear pocket hosters from Jeff Stoner (513)4243800. They are of very good quality and won't break the bank. The first was called a right handed grip, where, one grasps the gun with the palm facing the rear. I have found that the gun hangs up on the pants material while drawing. Besides that, you are drawing the gun across the back before putting it into play. The so called  left handed rear pocket  holster puts the right hand palm forward, between the gun and the rear facing leather. This leads to a smoother draw and quicker presentation.

My advice, with whatever rear pocket holster you decide upon, simply specify  palm forward  or to the rear to avoid confusion.

Offline Benjamin

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 11:36:32 AM »
 The flat leather square is always to the rear to avoid "printing" of the gun.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 01:56:56 PM »
It then also prints like a billfold. While I carried my Seecamp in a back pocket holster for over 20 years, I like a front pocket holster. It is easier and more natural.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline jeffgraham

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 02:22:22 AM »
You guys really sit on your gun?  Sounds awfully uncomfortable to me.  I like my front pocket just fine except it is a pain having to cram everything else I want to carry in the other front pocket.

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 10:55:54 AM »
I like my front pocket just fine except it is a pain having to cram everything else I want to carry in the other front pocket.

I know what you mean. I carry a Microtech "wallet" that used to go in the front right pocket. Along with cash it carries CCs and a nice little Microtech "SURPRISE". That along with keys, a stick of Carmex, Listerine Breath Strips and now a spare mag in a Del Fatti mag pouch gets crowded in there. I carry a Microtech clipped in my back pocket so the R9 in the same pocket probably won't work.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 12:23:17 PM »
I've seen some "hybrid" holsters that look interesting. Ones that can be front pocket or snap on the square and it goes back pocket. How are the guns designed to be carried in the back pocket? Would it be for palm out draw or palm in? I would think it would be easier to grab the grip between the jeans and the grip as opposed to in between the leather and grip.

JB:

I believe the most common use of these back-pocket holster designs involves palm-in draw. This is one of the right-hand back-pocket holsters wich R. J. Hedley made for me. When using it, I carry it as often in the front pocket as I do in the back.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 12:23:48 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re:  Back pocket carry,   palm in / palm
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 07:15:08 PM »

Years ago, back pocket carry was all Palm out.   I pioneered the ''Palm in'' method and coined the words , ''Cavalry Draw'' when the  method was applied to pocket holsters.    Another "First" was the hinging of the anti-print panel at the bottom of the holster.
The Cavalry Draw does indeed, require the user to cross his body with the muzzle as the draw is executed.  Not a good thing.  Also the intention to draw is telegraphed as the elbow goes up and out, very awkward, IMO.
RJ=