Author Topic: Remington Golden Saber  (Read 6687 times)

Offline bobvvp

Re: Remington Golden Saber
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2005, 11:57:11 AM »
Back to the range yesterday with a cleaned gun to try out the ammo again.  Tried six rounds each of the following in the indicated order:  RBCD 60 gr. TFSP, GoldDot 124 gr. GDHP, Federal Premium 124 gr. Hydra-Shok JHP, CCI Blazer Brass 115 gr. FMJ, Remington Golden Saber 124 gr. BJHP.  All functioned perfectly the exception of the Golden Saber.  One round out of six required two trigger pulls to fire.  I then fired another dozen of the Blazer with no problems.  Fired the rest of the box of Golden Sabers without problem.

Went home and was preparing to clean the gun when I noticed the slide is cracked along the rear portion of the left side (as one holds the gun to fire).  The crack runs for about 1/2 inch along the side and around the back.  I have not disassembled further as I want to return it to Rohrbaugh in such a way they can do it themselves and get some idea of the failure mode.  I notice other folks have reported slide cracks so I will post this information there as well for them.  My serial number is in the mid R900's.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2005, 12:04:44 PM »
Bob,

I'm sorry to hear about the cracked slide.  It's still more shocking news.

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2005, 01:13:57 PM »
Bob:

I'm sure the factory will make it right, but [expletive deleted] that is a real bummer!  Good luck, and please keep us informed.

Meanwhile, I think I'll unload the Golden Sabers and plug in the Gold Dots.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline bobvvp

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2005, 03:52:50 PM »
Thanks folks.  I will try to get some photos posted in the forum thread that deals with this.  Jarcher helped another member with this and I see if I can impose on him to help me as well.

Offline tyler2you

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2005, 01:03:36 AM »
Hi everyone,

I just got my R9S 2 days ago (serial R68x).

I took it to the range this morning to try out a couple of different loads and had the same problem with the 124 gr Golden Sabers.  I only ran 20 rounds of the GS through it, but had 1 failure to fire with a very light primer strike.  The dent in the primer was barely there.  I chambered the round again and it fired without issue.  

All the other ammo (WWB, Federal EFMJ, Gold Dots) had deep primer impacts.

I was very concerned at the time, but now that I read that it's one type of ammo, I feel much better.   I guess I'll stick to the Gold Dots.

Offline HiCap

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2005, 12:45:03 PM »
I use Winchester ST's whci work just fine, and are a good load.  I bought some 115 gr. GD's and shot one box through the Rs and wound the recoil a lot more than with anything else I have fired.  No, they were not +P's.

HiCap

Offline bobvvp

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2005, 03:43:15 PM »
As you may know from my previous notes I was having problems with Golden Saber and then the slide cracked.  Just returned the firearm to Rohrbaugh and got a call from Eric Rohrbaugh this morning assuring me they would take care of the problem.  He said he had an idea regarding the failure to fire that he would look into as well.  I certainly am favorably impressed with my interactions with the company.

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2005, 09:52:47 PM »
bobvvp,
I was also very impressed with the way the Rohrbaugh brothers handled the cracked slide problem with my R-9. Before the slide replacement I was having many failures to fire. Now with the new slide I have only had a few failure to fires, all with UMC/Remington ammo.

Ed

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2005, 10:00:43 PM »
Just curious folks; the recommended ammo is Speer GDHP
124 gr.. Why bother with anything else? I just don't get
all this experimentation and dissapointment. Some things
are worth tweaking and some are not; I do not intend to
shoot anything but those GDHP's.

Offline bobvvp

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2005, 09:31:45 PM »
I just received my R9s with the cracked slide back and reported on my very favorable experience in the thread that deals with that topic.  The comment about Gold Dots being recommended got me curious and I went back to the information that came with the firearm and see no recommendation for any specific brand.  I know Seecamp was very specific with their product.  Other than this forum, has anything ever been published on this?  It seems it would be valuable for every owner to receive along with the product.  My personal experience, conversations with Karl, and the input of other forum members, has convinced me to stick with products with soft primers and that doesn't include Remington.  I also learned from Karl that if one applies a long, slow trigger pull, there may be more of a chance of a problem with ammo already prone to that sort of issue.  I still think the R9 and the folks behind it are outstanding.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2005, 08:07:43 AM »
 I also learned from Karl that if one applies a long, slow trigger pull, there may be more of a chance of a problem with ammo already prone to that sort of issue.  I still think the R9 and the folks behind it are outstanding.
Did he mention anything about a trigger pull method that you might use?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 08:08:52 AM by harrydog »

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2005, 08:45:23 AM »
This forum is the only place that I have found ammo recommendations.  
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2005, 10:55:25 AM »
Quite a few threads about what has 'worked' for some/most!!

Chris's FAQ site has a LOT of info too..

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/

bobvvp-hope your pup runs great for you now!!!

Brenden
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 10:56:20 AM by Brenden »
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline bobvvp

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2005, 12:45:58 PM »
My best answer to harrydog's question is that Karl emphasized that this firearm was designed to be used in high stress situations where long slow pulls probably wouldn't be the norm.  Also, yes Chris' site does have good info.  It would be great if every purchaser knew about it.