Author Topic: New R9  (Read 3119 times)

Offline 17fersur

New R9
« on: July 15, 2007, 10:14:42 PM »
Hey all,

Got my new R9 yesterday, its an R3XX with the CF grips, had the choice between the dealer's "sample" or a later R9S. Just couldn't resist the grips!

Shot the first 50 rounds today, white box winchester 115 FMJ, the only recommended ammo I could find on short notice. No problems at all! Getting used to the point to aim approach, but otherwise feels perfect.

LOVE the quality of this gun! Well worth the money, a true work of art and for me a full time carry.

Amazing amount of info to go through on this forum, sure I'll have some questions for you all in the near future...

Offline CNO53

• Expert
Re: New R9
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 11:32:47 PM »
Hello 17fersur,

Congratulations on your new R9S. I had to make the same decision, I chose the new version hoping to pick up a set of black CF grips in the future. I agree with you they do look great.

Perception...Reality...?

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 12:45:03 PM »
17fersur,

Welcome to the forum..

Check out the Links at the top of the page,look for FAQ..
Lot's of answers!!

Find some carry ammo,my pup likes the 115 GDHPs,but will eat the WWB 115s for practice fine..

Once again welcome..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 12:50:17 PM »
17fersur, Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your R-9.  Did you get the blue or the black grips?  Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline 17fersur

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 08:37:21 AM »
The grips are black, don't think I've seen the blue ones are the later or earlier? I believe this R9 was manufactured in July of 05.

From what I'm reading, there are upgraded recoil & mag springs available. I've now read to replace the recoil spring at 500, 200, & 100 rounds... I have no problem erroring on the conservative side (100 rounds) and will order 5 shortly.

Gold Dots seem to be the consensus on the best carry ammo. My range has GDHP but in 124 not 115, is there a substantial difference?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 09:12:25 AM »
17fersur:

Welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on acquiring your R9.

The blue CF grips were the first, followed by the blacks. Due to current demand for carbon fiber in the defense and aircraft industries, availability of the product for small manufacturers has declined and prices have escalated. The R9s now being produced carry G10 grips, a material which has its own legion of advocates.

A lot of R9/R9s owners report good results with 124-grain Gold Dots.  My own R9s, which is one of the early ones produced in 2004, has digested without complaint the 115 and 124-grain GDs, the Winchester "White Box" FMJ, and the 147-grain Remington Golden Sabers. Right now, it's loaded with the GS "heavy weights."

Continued good luck with your new "pup," and keep us informed.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 09:43:33 AM »
welcome, good choice and range report.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline 17fersur

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 11:55:54 PM »
Shot it again tonight, beside my G17... both with rem 115 Hollow Points. R9 performed flawlessly with another 35 rounds, still working on the point to aim. Love my second gen Glock, but the R9 is truely amazing to pocket carry. Now at 75 rounds before a breakdown for a real cleaning. Will take care of that this weekend...

Offline CNO53

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 12:02:35 AM »
Hey 17fersur, I also own a G17 except its a third generation with a lasermax guide rod laser. Although mine is at my local gun shop for sale, I agree it's a great gun. Good luck on your cleaning and if you need any help we're here for you. See ya, Neal

Perception...Reality...?

Offline 17fersur

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 12:13:48 AM »
Thanks Neal for the super fast post,

I started with a 3rd gen G17 myself, but I have super big hands... size 15 shoes to give a perspective :) Those finger grooves just didn't fit me but I LOVE the reliability & capacity of the Glocks. Proud to be part of the wonder nine crowd... tried to pocket the G26 but to no avail, guess thats why they invented the R9, best pocket carry on the planet IMO.

Offline Duncan223

• Proud Son Of The American Revolution
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 02:01:38 AM »

Hey all,

Got my new R9 yesterday, its an R3XX with the CF grips, had the choice between the dealer's "sample" or a later R9S. Just couldn't resist the grips!

Shot the first 50 rounds today, white box winchester 115 FMJ, the only recommended ammo I could find on short notice. No problems at all! Getting used to the point to aim approach, but otherwise feels perfect.

LOVE the quality of this gun! Well worth the money, a true work of art and for me a full time carry.

Amazing amount of info to go through on this forum, sure I'll have some questions for you all in the near future...
NRA, GOA, SAF, JFPO

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 11:10:55 AM »
Welcome and glad to hear your R9 is running fine. :D
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.