Author Topic: The range report I wish I didn't have 2 write  (Read 25127 times)

Offline Writer_Ron

Re: The range report I wish I didn't have 2 write
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 07:47:12 PM »
Ron.  That definitely puts a new twist, so to speak, on the feeding problem.  Interesting to see if it would help the R9.

I hope I haven't misunderstood you.

I've loaded perhaps 120 rounds with the UpLula for my R9s. I intend to keep using it, because I think it does help the R9. Although, ther folks' mileage may vary. At the very least, the gadget is lots easier on the fingers ... and possibly the cartridges.

I originally bought it to load Browning HP mags and hesitantly gave it a try for the Beretta 32 (the UpLula is designed for 9 mm and 45 ACP). I was surprised that it worked well on Beretta mags and astonished that I could use it to load Seecamp mags (which become tough to load after four rounds, and super tough after five).

Ron

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 07:52:57 PM »
Ron.  I should have been more specific.  Interesting to see if it helps Kayakers' Special Forces.  I've been calling his, the R9.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 08:15:40 PM »
I'm shocked an UpLula would work on an R9 mag, and a Seecamp...WOW....I may just have to cough up some dough and get one of those things.

Offline Kayaker

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 08:55:05 PM »
If I had an Uplula, I would try it out of curiosity, but I am a low tech kind of guy.  I just want to push cartridges into the magazine, put the magazine in the gun and have it go bang many times.  I imagine if I shot more than a couple of hundred rounds in one session this would be more attractive.  I really don't need another item in my range bag, plus there really is something wrong if the magazines need to be loaded this precisely.  

This really does look like a nice gizmo for a high volume shooter though.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 09:13:29 PM »
Kayaker.  That's a good goal for the Special Forces to go bang.  That is what it is supposed to do, so I'm wishing you the best, again, and hope the problem gets worked out.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 11:16:24 AM »
Kayaker,
+1 (and +2, +3, +4.....) on the Uplula.  I have developed an arthritic thumb and really suffer the next day if I load too many mags without some sort of assist device.  The Uplula is far superior to any other loader I've tried, and fits almost all center fire magazines.  I never leave home without it in my range bag.  

Regarding FTFeed, I think the R9, like most little guns, is sensitive to effective cartridge length.  So it's important to get those shells tucked all the way back in the magazine.  The Uplula helps to eliminate one more variable.

The advice on cleaning / lubing after 50 rounds is important.  I haven't looked at the newest version of the Rohrbaugh manual, but the manufacturer used to recommend clean / lube in the 50 to 80 round count range.

I have experienced jamming problems due to brass or copper shavings that I traced to the gilding metal on the cheap practice ammo.  The premium stuff has much thicker jacket metal and doesn't seem to cause any problems.  

Finally, the scarring you're seeing is "normal" for the R9.  It eventually stabilizes.  My R9s has almost 2,000 rounds thru it, and actually looks better now than it did at 300 rounds.  Compared to my aluminum frame Sig P239 at 3,500 rounds, the R9s looks like a worn-out piece of junk, but it works fine.  100% reliable.  So I tell the retired mechanical engineer in me to shut up and shoot the darn thing!   That little R9 is my constant companion.   8)

Steve

Offline Writer_Ron

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 11:28:42 AM »
Kayaker,
+1 (and +2, +3, +4.....) on the Uplula.  

The Uplula is far superior to any other loader I've tried, and fits almost all center fire magazines.  I never leave home without it in my range bag.  

Regarding FTFeed, I think the R9, like most little guns, is sensitive to effective cartridge length.  So it's important to get those shells tucked all the way back in the magazine.  The Uplula helps to eliminate one more variable.

Steve

As it happens ... Midway just announced a sale on the UpLula. Here's the link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=952670

Ron

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 11:45:35 AM »
Ron.  Thanks for the link.  This item looks like it really does the job; also has a five star rating out of 122 reviews.  Ordering one, thanks!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 02:09:48 PM »

Even though I had a Lula for ARs I also ordered this one; makes good sense.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 02:15:51 PM »
Sure does.  They say, shipping today!  Should have it by the Georgia trip next week.

Offline Kayaker

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 05:20:13 PM »
Thanks everybody for the advice.  I spoke with Maria and she recommended I try a new recoil spring( eventhough this is a "new" gun R36XX), so I ordered a few and if they come before the end of this weekend I will post a followup soon.  If not I'll have to wait a few weeks.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 05:52:40 PM »
A new recoil spring for a new gun.  Now that's one I would not have thought of.  Hope that does it.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 02:37:35 PM »
Sure does.  They say, shipping today!  Should have it by the Georgia trip next week.

Maglula  arrived today!  Fast shipping, indeed.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 04:45:48 PM »
Kjtrains,
It looks like the Maglula hijacked this thread a little bit.  
But you're gonna love that Maglula.  After you use a few times, you will wonder how the heck you ever got along without it - and why did you wait so long to buy one!   :D
I can picture that SHAMWOW pitchman selling those things on TV....

Back to Kayaker's original issue:  I hope the new recoil spring does the job.  All I can say from my own experience is that the Second Generation recoil spring and latest magazine springs made my early-production R9s 100% reliable.  (Springs + following the 50-80 round maximum between cleaning / lube.)  

Steve

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 07:25:09 PM »
Steve.  You're right!   The Maglula works, and great!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 07:28:02 AM by kjtrains »