Author Topic: The range report I wish I didn't have 2 write  (Read 25342 times)

Offline crazychicken

Re: The range report I wish I didn't have 2 write
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2011, 06:32:38 AM »
My new R9(s) have about a 15% FTFeed. Cleaned oiled, graphite, cooled down.

Disheartening to say the least.

Federal, WW, Rem

What Gold Dot grain size seems to work best?

The discussion on this thread has been great

Gives me hope

First time poster

CC
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 07:02:07 AM by crazychicken »
Shot placement is important. But when the world is turning to s**t an A10 Warthog beats a feather duster EVERY TIME!

Offline XScout

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2011, 09:46:13 AM »
Hmmm, 15% FTFeed from a cool pistol.
My problem was FTFeed only after the third magazine bang bang bang with no cooling period. Once I let it cool for fifteen minutes between every two magazines it's flawless each and every time 100%.

I carry 115grn Hornady FTX Critical Defense but have tested it with 115grn Gold Dot HP and 115grn Win Silvertip HP.

I shoot a mag or two of a mix of all of the above and WWB all 115grn and have yet to experience a problem since I followed the advice here on the forum about letting it cool fully between magazine changes. (my theory on CCW grain is highest muzzel velocity I can get unless it's a 45ACP then it's a 230grn JHP)

My feeling is I'm never going to reload this in a fight so as long as I can get two mags worth of rounds off without a hitch at the range I'm good for what the weapon was intended.

If you are using quality ammo and it jams at all on the first two mags at the range I would think it's a mechanical problem not heat dissapation.

I know how frustrating it is to spend that much money for a pistol and not have it function flawlessly as my first trip to the range with my R9 Stealth was a nightmare. Stick with it, try and work the problem change one variable at a time keep written records, read the forum and contact the manufacturer. My R9 goes almost everywhere I go now and I trust it with my life.  

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2011, 09:56:24 AM »

Don't use Remington; but you didn't say which Remington you tried to fire at the range.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2011, 10:01:44 AM »
CC,  welcome to the Forum.  You'll find lots of good advice and civil discourse here!

First, is your R9s brand new or new-to-you?  The reason I ask is the early R9 guns needed a recoil spring and magazine spring change before they ran reliably.  (Second gen recoil spring has a closed coil at both ends.  The first springs had one closed and one open end.) The current magazine springs are much longer - and stronger - than the original springs.  
Little guns shooting high pressure cartridges have a lot of things going on in a small distance, so timing is really critical.

Next, there's the old song about technique.  The R9 requires a strong hand, and it still wants to move around.  You really have to dominate this gun.

Third, I've had good success with WWB for practice but recently read in American Rifleman magazine that Winchester is moving its center-fire ammo operation from IL to the South.  Union problems.  So, I'm staying away from Winchester ammo until they get their operation moved.  I don't want to accuse the about-to-be-unemployed workers of sabotage, but people losing their jobs aren't going to be as careful...

For carry I've settled on Speer Gold Dot 115 and 124 grain. Mostly 115 grain due to availability.  Some Forum members like 147 grain, and I've used it successfully, but feel that's a very heavy bullet for the short R9 barrel.

Finally, if all else fails, your pup will have to go back to Rohrbaugh for some TLC.  I understand Karl Rohrbaugh still personally works on all repairs.  You will be made whole, it's just the inconvenience factor.

Hope this helps,
Steve  

Offline crazychicken

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2011, 10:22:36 AM »
Thank you to all for the suggestions. I'll keep at it.

I bought the two R9s new. My doctor who is also a LEO, and on the SWAT Team here suggested the weapon. He wears his under his scrubs with no printing.

IMO it is the only small frame 9MM that feels like a real pistol.

Again, thanks for the help.

CC
Shot placement is important. But when the world is turning to s**t an A10 Warthog beats a feather duster EVERY TIME!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2011, 11:05:04 AM »
cc.  Welcome to the Forum.  You'll certainly get all kinds of advice here, all mostly good.  I use Winchester 115 gr. Silvertips and have not had a problem.  Wishing you the best in getting your problem solved.  

As slater states the TLC Rohrbaugh gives, if it comes to that, will definitely cure whatever is wrong.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2011, 12:30:43 PM »
The R9 requires a strong hand, and it still wants to move around.  You really have to dominate this gun.

A nice way of putting it Steve but very true; I've never had a problem with my R9 but I have seen others shoot my pistol and have problems. Because of its small size and light weight, your grip and wrist are more a part of the "system" than with other larger and heavier firearms. A firm wrist and good grip give it something to work against.

It doesn't require Cesar Millan's skills but you probably do want to be the pack leader when you fire it.  ;D

And CC - if there IS a problem with your R9 the factory will definitely make it right.

JR
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 12:31:31 PM by JR956678 »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2011, 08:05:12 PM »
crazychicken, Welcome from me as well.
  I believe most use the 115gr GDs, I shoot the 147gr GDs and like them. I was blessed with one of the pups that will eat anything and ask for more.
  Keep us posted on the progress.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline jhmedrano

« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2011, 06:05:01 PM »
Ceasar millan... jajaja funny i dont think many got it lol

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2011, 07:19:48 PM »
I think any you who's a dog person or has seen his show did. ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson