Author Topic: New R9 Problem  (Read 25478 times)

Offline RBorgers

New R9 Problem
« on: September 18, 2011, 07:19:12 PM »
Picked up a new R9 last week and made it to the range today. Good news fired 8 rounds without a problem and was very accurate. The bad news the slide locked back about a half inch and would not close all the way. After inspecting the gun I found the firing pin retainer had rotated and was catching on the frame, it was all the way in with the firing pin protruding through it. I rotated back into the correct position and the slide would close. Has any one else experienced this problem?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: New R9 Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 07:56:50 PM »

I seem to recall a past post with a similar problem but the cause was not identified as clearly as you described. I would call the factory tomorrow.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 08:53:41 PM »
If that retainer could just be "rotated" and not pulled out and slid back in; then it is totally out of spec, i.e., too small.  You need a new/larger retainer.

Or maybe it was installed backwards ?

The rounded side goes to the outside and the flat flush against the slide.

Just some info to have before calling the factory.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 10:32:54 AM »
Picked up a new R9 last week and made it to the range today. Good news fired 8 rounds without a problem and was very accurate. The bad news the slide locked back about a half inch and would not close all the way. After inspecting the gun I found the firing pin retainer had rotated and was catching on the frame, it was all the way in with the firing pin protruding through it. I rotated back into the correct position and the slide would close. Has any one else experienced this problem?

RBorgers.  Very good information above on what to do.  Congrats on the new R9.  
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:38:04 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline RBorgers

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 12:00:46 PM »
Well I have called several times and left voice mail as well as filling out a web form and no return call yet.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 12:13:20 PM »
Maria will return your call.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline RBorgers

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 01:06:04 PM »
Well spoke with Maria and she was very helpful, but I have to pay for shipping. She said they would evaluate the problem at which time they could reimburse me for the shipping???

Offline RBorgers

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 02:56:07 PM »
Does any body have the address to ship a firearm back to Rohrbaugh. I got a email with instructions on how to ship a firearm back. There is an address on the bottom of the email and I want to verify it is correct before I ship it back. I have tried to call with no luck.  The address I have is  RFC, 73 E. Jefryn Blvd, Deer Park, Ny 11729.

Thanks

Offline RBorgers

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »
Got it back today and went straight to the range where I shot 75 rounds without any problems. This really is a good shooting little gun.
Thanks Rohrbaugh!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 09:18:12 PM »
Got it back today and went straight to the range where I shot 75 rounds without any problems. This really is a good shooting little gun.
Thanks Rohrbaugh!

RBorgers.  Everything does work out!  Glad the Rohrbaugh is fine.  Excellent shooting!  Continue the enjoyment!    :D

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 09:53:01 AM »
Thanks Rohrbaugh!
I'm curious.  Did Rohrbaugh reimburse your shipping expense for your pistols return to their factory?  

I'm glad that your Pup is now healthy and that you're happy. :)
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 11:24:25 AM »
My guess is they do not cover the shipping.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 11:30:20 AM »
My guess is they do not cover the shipping.

I'm thinking they might; since they said they would evaluate the problem.    :)  Hey!  That's just a guess, too!    :D

Well spoke with Maria and she was very helpful, but I have to pay for shipping. She said they would evaluate the problem at which time they could reimburse me for the shipping???
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:07:44 PM by kjtrains »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 03:06:53 PM »
When I had to send a S&W back for repairs and my LCP for the recall work they sent a box with a prepaid label, stick the gun in the box and call UPS for a pickup. :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 04:05:40 PM »
When I had to send a S&W back for repairs and my LCP for the recall work they sent a box with a prepaid label, stick the gun in the box and call UPS for a pickup. :D

Excellent!    ;)