Author Topic: New R9 Problem  (Read 25481 times)

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
Re: New R9 Problem
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 11:24:39 AM »
When I had to send a S&W back for repairs and my LCP for the recall work they sent a box with a prepaid label, stick the gun in the box and call UPS for a pickup. :D

I had the same experience with Ruger.  Before I even hung up the phone, while speaking to their CSR, I had a UPS 2nd day air label e-mailed to me.  I printed it out, boxed up the pistol and off it went.

Also, had the exact same experience with Springfield Arms.  They are famous for outstanding customer service.  If there is even the slightest concern from a customer, on any of their products, no matter how trivial, they send a pre-paid Overnight Air FedEx label.

That's why I was curious if Rohrbaugh reimbursed the OP since he commented that he had to return the pistol at his expense and it turned out that there had clearly been a problem with the pistol out of the box.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 08:57:40 AM »
And my experience with Kahr is that they sent me a prepaid shipping label. FedEx Overnight, and it cost me nothing. That seems pretty standard among the gun manufacturers.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 03:30:45 PM »
Picked up a new R9 last week and made it to the range today. Good news fired 8 rounds without a problem and was very accurate. The bad news the slide locked back about a half inch and would not close all the way. After inspecting the gun I found the firing pin retainer had rotated and was catching on the frame, it was all the way in with the firing pin protruding through it. I rotated back into the correct position and the slide would close. Has any one else experienced this problem?

Just got back from the range with my R9 Covert...had about 200 rounds through it since purchase without issue. New spring, grip screws tight, clean.  On 2nd mag, had a failure to feed..had to pry the cartridge up with a small screwdriver and it went into battery...was shooting one handed and figured a limp wrist issue.  Next mag, same thing but was holding tight one handed.  Cleared that, fired another mag and on the last round, the slide locked back far enough that it was past the takedown pin.  Couldn't budge it...got home and couldn't find a problem visually, but decided to cycle it briskly as if feeding a first round from a new mag and it went into battery.  Now seems to function OK, but am not certain I want to fire it.  Don't have time to take it down right now, but that is the next step.  Suggestions otherwise?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 03:41:01 PM »
backup.  What ammo were you shooting?  Sounds like a metal partical (shaving) of some sort got lodged in the slide. 
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 05:30:19 PM »
Shooting Gold Dot 147.  Just took it apart....no shavings seen.  Pictures below were done before I cleaned it.  The firing pin retainer was to my left looking at the slide from behind with slide turned up (see pics) but could be easily rotated with the tip of a knife, or moved to the right (see other pics).  Seems to function OK with snap caps now, but.....?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 05:34:17 PM »
Sorry about the orientation of the pictures in the previous post.  Viewing the slide with it's open side up from behind, the "normal" position of the retainer appears to be on the left of the viewer.  It could be easily moved to the right with the tip of a knife, or rotated slightly.  I guess this is the same thing that the originator of this thread experienced...so, back to the factory? 
 :-\
John
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 06:44:16 PM »
I see some debris, and you did say this was before cleaning; for me I would go down to at least 124 grain Gold Dots and try those after cleaning; I would definitely do that before sending it back; just my thoughts.

Others have used 147 grain without any problems, but I would have to at least try the 124 grain.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:47:25 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 08:18:03 PM »
I'll give it a try with 124's.  Anybody know if their firing pin retainer moves the way this one does when manipulated?  It was easily moved/rotated with the tip of a small screwdriver, but was not so loose that it flopped around.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline l_elieze

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 09:32:48 PM »
I had the same problem. I recently purchase a new R9 and took it to the range and after 30 rounds the slide got stuck. I could not tell what was preventing the slide from going forward but tried very hard in cycling the slide to get it to close but to no avail.  I had to send it back to the factory and it was return with no explanation.  I took it to the range and no issues since. 

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 10:16:55 PM »
Backup

The firing pin retainer should be able to slide up and down without much resistance with a small screwdriver. It should not be able to rotate.

If you insert a small screwdriver and press inward on the firing pin, you should be able to slide the firing pin retainer up. I have removed the retainer and firing pin on several on the Pups I have owned.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 10:23:15 PM »
l-elieze, I remember that post and follow-up and was looking for it when I found this one that started with the same problem.  I've fired 147gr Gold Dots out of this pistol before with no issue, so this is definitely something new.  If you look at the first post on this thread by RBorgers, he had the same problem and identified the loose firing pin retainer as the problem....sent it back to R and it came back working fine.  I'll try firing it again tomorrow.  I've been using Ed Brown lubricant on the rails although not heavily...may be cutting too much friction out of the equation, esp. w/147's?  Anyway, we'll see.  I give follow-up on this one.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 10:33:39 PM »
Backup

The firing pin retainer should be able to slide up and down without much resistance with a small screwdriver. It should not be able to rotate.

If you insert a small screwdriver and press inward on the firing pin, you should be able to slide the firing pin retainer up. I have removed the retainer and firing pin on several on the Pups I have owned.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks Z, mine does move side to side/rotate when pushed, albeit gently, with a small screwdriver or probe.  By moving the retainer "up" when the firing pin is pushed inward, I assume you mean while removing the retainer and pin, but not in anyway to readjust the position as a remedy to my problem?

Another question:  when I push in on the firing pin from behind with a small punch, the punch actually disappears into the retainer about 1/8' before the firing pin protrudes out the front; I assumed that the pin, when struck by the hammer, moved forward with enough force to fire the primer and retract on the spring back into the bolt....is this correct, or do I have a broken firing pin?  (I guess I will be able to tell when I test it tomorrow!).
Thanks for the help guys....frustrating not to be able to trust my carry piece.  Now have to go back to the 642, the Kimber CDP or the new LWS .32 none of which I enjoy carrying as much as the R9.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 02:39:59 PM »
Back to the range today with the Covert R9.  Fired Lawman 115, Spear Gold Dot 124 and one mag of Spear Gold Dot 147.  Absolutely no problems until the last 2 6 shot mags when the trigger wouldn't predictably reset after the shot...grips were loose (tightened yesterday after shooting, loosened up after no more than 40 rounds fired!). I had Loctite blue on them a month ago, but apparently not enough.  Going to get some of John's grip screws for sure!

Still a little worried about the movement of the firing pin retainer locking back the slide...would suggest anyone with that problem in the future do the following:
1.  Let the pistol cool off
2.  Pull the slide back as far as possible and let it go as if loading a first round...this may or may not work...
3.  If not, slap the right side of the slide just above the grip sharply several times (preferable with the slide held as far back as possible which may require another set of hands to help) and retry #2...
4.  If that doesn't work, pad the right side of the slide and tap sharply with a rubber mallet and repeat #2.

From the pictures I posted, it would appear that the retainer slips or rotates to the left (non-ejection) side of the pistol, and getting it to go back to the right will allow the slide to release.  The question now is why does the retainer move, and should the pistol go back to the factory before being a CCW.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 02:53:39 PM »
Just spoke to Maria....discussed the 3 episodes in this thread and my pictures as posted.  She will have a technician call me today or tomorrow to discuss the issue, but feels the pistol will need to come back to them.  According to her the back of the handbook discusses warranty matters and how to return the weapon to them via USPO (Sounds like they send a letter to clear the shipment, but I have to get the book and read the section if I sent it back.  Will await the tech's call.  I'll keep everyone posted.  John
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 05:22:11 PM »
You defiantly need to have trust in your carry weapon. Sound like it need to go back to the factory to get serviced. Let know how you make out!