Author Topic: New R9 Problem  (Read 25482 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: New R9 Problem
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 06:45:26 PM »
Maria called back...Karl traveling but said to send it.  She emails a letter explaining how to ship (you should read the warranty page of the handbook first..should replace special grips with original; etc.  They get so many sent back that "have no problem they can find" that they don't pay for shipping to them.  Recommends taking it apart and shipping as "machine parts" via USPO, UPS, Fedex as you wish.  USPO doesn't ship guns, but this is done all the time.  UPS will usually ship, but only from a central office.  Don't know about FedEx.  USPO much less expensive.  Alternatively, can ship from your FFL, but it will come back to that FFL and you'll pay! 

After cleaning it today, I found the firing pin retainer was in proper position and was harder to move to the wrong side, but still would be reasonably easily moved.  Now carrying the Seecamp .32 primary or secondary to the Kimber CDP.  I love the R9, but am becoming worried about the number of issues related on this forum by the relatively small number of owners.   :-\
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 06:49:19 PM »
I am sure Rohrbaugh will get it tuned up and ready to roar for you.

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 08:11:49 PM »
Maria called back...Karl traveling but said to send it.  She emails a letter explaining how to ship (you should read the warranty page of the handbook first..should replace special grips with original; etc.  They get so many sent back that "have no problem they can find" that they don't pay for shipping to them.  Recommends taking it apart and shipping as "machine parts" via USPO, UPS, Fedex as you wish.  USPO doesn't ship guns, but this is done all the time.  UPS will usually ship, but only from a central office.  Don't know about FedEx.  USPO much less expensive.  Alternatively, can ship from your FFL, but it will come back to that FFL and you'll pay! 

After cleaning it today, I found the firing pin retainer was in proper position and was harder to move to the wrong side, but still would be reasonably easily moved.  Now carrying the Seecamp .32 primary or secondary to the Kimber CDP.  I love the R9, but am becoming worried about the number of issues related on this forum by the relatively small number of owners.   :-\

I have carried one of my R9s almost eight years with no problems.......now I'm starting to worry...have I just been lucky? :-\
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 08:23:18 PM »

I don't think so, Jack. The successes outnumber the failures here and in those cases which are sometimes quite vocal, Rohrbaugh steps up to the plate and responds in a very positive fashion. There are a lot of long term happy campers on this forum and beyond.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 08:40:12 PM »
Well said tracker.
I completely agree! :)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 08:44:43 PM »

I have carried one of my R9s almost eight years with no problems.......now I'm starting to worry...have I just been lucky? :-\

No need to worry; you're fine!    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 08:56:57 PM »
You just need to keep up on the maintenance Jack.
Be good to it and it will be good to you!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 09:09:05 PM »

Words to live by, when having guns!    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 09:58:59 PM »

Maintenance may not be enough...Mine has always been thoroughly cleaned and lubed within hours of going to the range.  Never dropped or abused.  Practically new (and a Covert at that), and I had put at least 200 rounds through it with NO problems when it suddenly quit on me during a routine range trip.  Certainly a cause for worry!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 10:06:59 PM »
Very true Backup. I do agree. There is always a chance for failure. I am sure Rohrbaugh will get it running right for you!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2012, 10:29:47 PM »
Thanks Z.  I sent it back today....was afraid to try sending even a disassembled weapon through the USPO (since it is technically illegal).  Boxed it as required in Maria's email, shipped UPS.  She said ship overnight, but with insurance that would have cost me about $125 (!) so I shipped it routine ground for about $36 insured (for $1800 as a Covert).  I did include a letter as requested detailing the problem, but took the liberty of adding some suggestions re: customer service, shipping, etc.  I do think with the small 9's from Kimber, Sig, Boberg and others Karl is going to run into a lot of competition that he has never had before.  Some follow up as to what was done to repair the pistol and some help with shipping would be appreciated by the apparently many new/old owners who seem to be having problems, some of whom have now left us (or are in process of doing so).  Heck, I even had a cheap little Keltec PF9 that wouldn't feed.  Keltec sent me a shipping label and returned the pistol with an explanation.  I sold it anyway due to the trigger pull, but it worked fine when returned.  The R9 is the most comfortable carry of all of my handguns, so I do hope when it comes back it can be rehabilitated...the point I made in my letter was simply that without an explanation of what was wrong and why it won't happen again, I won't be able to trust it for carry.  Since it is not a plinking pistol and since I don't keep safe queens, I would have to sell it and move on.  Makes me sad 'cause I have been a true fan and an advocate to others.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 11:01:25 PM »

Please correct me if I am mistaken but I am under the impression that if an owner ships a handgun to the factory or a repair facility it must be shipped next day air by UPS or FEDEX, for example. There are ways to skirt around this through the USPS but not all legal unless shipped FFL to FFL. Have the rules changed?

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2012, 12:05:46 AM »

Please correct me if I am mistaken but I am under the impression that if an owner ships a handgun to the factory or a repair facility it must be shipped next day air by UPS or FEDEX, for example. There are ways to skirt around this through the USPS but not all legal unless shipped FFL to FFL. Have the rules changed?

see following link  http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?faqid=1118
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2012, 12:08:46 AM »

Am I correct?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2012, 08:59:05 AM »
Thanks Z.  I sent it back today....was afraid to try sending even a disassembled weapon through the USPO (since it is technically illegal).  Boxed it as required in Maria's email, shipped UPS.  She said ship overnight, but with insurance that would have cost me about $125 (!) so I shipped it routine ground for about $36 insured (for $1800 as a Covert).  I did include a letter as requested detailing the problem, but took the liberty of adding some suggestions re: customer service, shipping, etc.  I do think with the small 9's from Kimber, Sig, Boberg and others Karl is going to run into a lot of competition that he has never had before.  Some follow up as to what was done to repair the pistol and some help with shipping would be appreciated by the apparently many new/old owners who seem to be having problems, some of whom have now left us (or are in process of doing so).  Heck, I even had a cheap little Keltec PF9 that wouldn't feed.  Keltec sent me a shipping label and returned the pistol with an explanation.  I sold it anyway due to the trigger pull, but it worked fine when returned.  The R9 is the most comfortable carry of all of my handguns, so I do hope when it comes back it can be rehabilitated...the point I made in my letter was simply that without an explanation of what was wrong and why it won't happen again, I won't be able to trust it for carry.  Since it is not a plinking pistol and since I don't keep safe queens, I would have to sell it and move on.  Makes me sad 'cause I have been a true fan and an advocate to others.

backup.  I'm sure, too, that Rohrbaugh will have your Covert back shooting as it should.