Author Topic: Eclipse or Eclipes. You decide...  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Eclipse or Eclipes. You decide...
« on: August 03, 2006, 09:00:31 PM »
Hi Guys!
Just got back from vacation, and had a great time. Stayed with my friend part of the time in Pittsburgh (Mountain Man knows him;^) and he brought out his usual assortment of new guns and knives I had not seen.

He handed me a new Kimber Eclipse 1911 and asked me to find the flaw in it. Well, since I'm such a good speller (people call me Aaron Spelling;^), I immediately noticed the "flaw" was that Eclipse was misspelled on the slide! It was spelled "Eclipes"!

I thought "Wow! Who missed this boo boo? I bet he lost his job!" and then I thought "I bet this is worth a lot of money, depending on how many they let get out before their discovery."

Any thoughts on this? I know most of ya'll (or "youns", as they say in Pittsburgh) know more about collectible guns than I do. What say you?

Cal
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
Re: Eclipse or Eclipes. You decide...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 09:48:59 PM »
I expect that a "batch" of them left the factory like that.  Doubtful that their production involves individually engraved slides.

Not sure if an "error" like that would create any value in a handgun....just postage stamps! ;D
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 10:36:09 PM »
Cal - I knew about the misspelling from a email from our Pittsburgh buddy.  It would depend on how many went out that way and what it is worth to someone.  Seems a Kimber collector would pay some for it.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 12:21:49 AM »
Steve - I guess much would depend on how many made it out!

Collectibles tho are hard to assess but I do know there are folks out there who will collect almost anything ''different''!

I wonder when the next "Eclipes" of the sun is due ;)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.