Author Topic: Colt Pocket nine  (Read 9301 times)

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
Re: Colt Pocket nine
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 09:34:42 AM »
I agree, I wouldn't be comfortable carrying a single action cocked and locked in my pocket.  Too easy to have the safety switched off and put a hole in my leg.  I would be so tense I am sure my back would be killing me at the end of the day.  

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 12:38:05 AM »
How's your wife with recoil? My Mrs is EXTREMELY recoil sensative. As a result, we look for .32ACP's, .32Mags & .380ACP's that are near normal size as opposed to the ones that are pocket guns.

If your Mrs is the same, you may want to consider the Colt Pony instead of the Pocket Nine. The Pony is almost the same shape & size or operation as the Pocket Nine but in .380ACP instead of 9mm resulting in a much softer kick.

Here's a used Colt Pony going for $800 if you're insterested. As before, I am not RECOMMENDING this seller. I do not know him from a hole in the wall. He could be a perfectly honest business man or he could be fraud looking to rip people off. I don't know one way or the other. If doing business with him, use common sense and treat them as you would any stranger.

Offline toymaker

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 09:03:22 PM »

Toymaker:

First of all, welcome to the Forum.

I'm also an old Colt Mustang fan and still have one in my safe.  It's one of the more accurate small pistols I've ever owned.  As for cocked and locked carry of the Mustang, I've never felt really comfortable about that since it doesn't have a grip safety.  I don't carry my Mustang much anymore, but when I do it is in what Colonel Cooper would call Condition 3 -- the chamber is empty and the hammer is down with a charged magazine in the pistol.

Thanks for the welcome

I also owned a couple of stainless Colt Mustangs some years back.   The reason I no longer have them is that the slide stop pin would sometimes fall out of either gun if the slide was racked while the gun was tilted even slightly counter clockwise.  The Pocket Nine doesn't have that problem.

I'm an old cocked and locked fan so carrying the mustang condition 1 wasn't a problem for me.  I always carry in a pocket holster so it's extremely unlikely that I'd accidentally pull the trigger even if the safety was left off.  

I think that the Kahr and Rohrbaugh triggers strike the perfect balance between safety and a manageable trigger pull.  I want to be able to shoot the gun at the range for as long as I choose to and not have to suffer a blister and other damage to my finger.  

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 08:40:14 AM »
How's your wife with recoil? My Mrs is EXTREMELY recoil sensative. As a result, we look for .32ACP's, .32Mags & .380ACP's that are near normal size as opposed to the ones that are pocket guns.

If your Mrs is the same, you may want to consider the Colt Pony instead of the Pocket Nine. The Pony is almost the same shape & size or operation as the Pocket Nine but in .380ACP instead of 9mm resulting in a much softer kick.

She is relatively indifferent to the recoil.  Now, she did not like the R9s so if the Colt Pocket Nine is similar it may not be the best solution.  How would you compare the two recoil wise?

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 11:07:15 AM »
IMO Colt Pocket Nine has alot less percived recoil ,maybe because the grip is fatter and the rubber finger grooved grips give a very good controled hold.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 03:09:58 PM »
What Newt said.

Recoil is very subjective but to me, the Pocket Nine with +P's feels like the R9 with standard pressure rounds so a Pocket Nine with standard pressure rounds would appear to kick much less than the R9.

My Mrs is is overly recoil sensative.

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 04:09:39 PM »
Sounds OK then.  Thanks guys.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Colt Pocket Nines on my mind...
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2006, 03:19:14 AM »
>>I had the good fortune the other day to pick up a #2 Colt Pocket Nine at a local gunstore - NIB for $360...!  Funny thing is, this particular store is known for high prices on their selection of new guns, but I have purchased half a dozen really nice used guns for very reasonable prices this past year, go figure.

Thanks in particular to Fud and Newt for stirring up my interest in the Pocket Nines - really fine pistols they are...!!

In recent times I've been collecting more and more small, out of production Colts.  Another of my favorites is a NIB Government .380 with a beautiful blueing job...really sweet...!  It came with original white plastic grips with the Colt medallion, which I quickly replaced with some tasteful Rosewood grips.  The Government .380 is on the big side for a Pocket Gun, but doable - not unlike my Sig P232 and PPK same caliber.

Anyone else have favorite little Colts in their lives...?...TW<<

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2006, 03:03:25 PM »
TW

Nice buy - if I see the right pocket nine I may pick it up also.

I have a Colt Gov. .380 - haven't shot it for years but is very accurate - I was able to hit soda cans at 25 yards easily.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2006, 12:21:57 AM »
A single action Colt Mustang Pocketlite. Very accurate. All in all a very fine little gun.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Number 9; Number 9...Was:..Re: Colt Pocket nine
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2006, 09:57:21 PM »
TW

Nice buy - if I see the right pocket nine I may pick it up also.

Spooky how this number 9 keeps popping up around us;^)
Yes, I had a Pocket 9, but sold it here to an important member of our list, and now I have sellers remorse;^)
I never shot mine,  but it exuded quality, more so than most other
guns, R9's excluded, natch. I will probably get another one some day.
Ya don't know what ya got till it's gone...

Hayword N. Edgewise

"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2006, 11:20:07 PM »
An ANIB model can be found here for about the same price.

Just want to make it clear that I am NOT "recommending" the seller. Don't know him. If dealing with him, treat him as you would any stranger on the web.

Good news is that Gunbroker.com does offer some safeguards.