Author Topic: Is removal of spring assy and barrel all at once ok.  (Read 7131 times)

bamboobob

Is removal of spring assy and barrel all at once ok.
« on: July 01, 2013, 10:53:01 AM »
Is removal of spring assy and barrel all at once ok.
It seems easier for me than spring assy then barrel.
So far I have not used pliers or channel locks at all at any stage.
I bought plastic fuse pullers to alter.
Did not want to use channel locks but probably should???

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Is removal of spring assy and barrel all at once ok.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 11:22:34 AM »
If removal all at once works for you, do it. I have never liked the channel locks approach because of the potential for damage, Using RJ's takedown/reassembly tool and the PVC tool used to line up the holes, has simplified the process for me.

bamboobob

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 11:49:07 AM »
If removal all at once works for you, do it. I have never liked the channel locks approach because of the potential for damage, Using RJ's takedown/reassembly tool and the PVC tool used to line up the holes, has simplified the process for me.

Thanks again
I agree -- channel locks -- potential for damage
I bought pvc fitting --yet to try
I sanded down tie wrap end on disc sander for RJ tool , paperclip too ( made quick, 2ed try symmetrical end much better)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »
I also have avoided channel locks due to the potential for damage to the recoil assembly.

As for removing the assembly and barrel at the same time, given the apparent tendency I have for "launching" springs across a room, I personally avoid that process.

As for reassembly, I am pleased to note at my age that I still have enough finger strength to insert the "RJ Two-In-One Tool" in the recoil assembly without a compression device.  (How many years that will continue is anyone's guess, however.   :-\ )

For any new owners who may read this thread, it is important to bear the following in mind during the reassembly process:  After the recoil assembly is inserted into the slide, you need to ensure that it sits perfectly aligned, centered and level fore and aft, when compressing the mechanism for insertion of the barrel pin.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 06:55:30 PM »
I just got in from a brief range session and cleaned my r9.  I have been using a modified syringe  technique that works well for me.
Placing the slide facing away I use both index fingers and both thumbs to squeeze the assembly and pop it right in.
I was getting pinched pretty good using one hand.  It really does get easier once you become familiar, whatever technique you use.

Also, the frog lube ran great, cleaned up easily, and my fingers weren't all oily trying to grip the assembly.

I really love this gun.

‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

bamboobob

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 08:38:52 AM »

As for removing the assembly and barrel at the same time, given the apparent tendency I have for "launching" springs across a room, I personally avoid that process.

Good point Richard.

Especially true for mag inner locking plate( spring too).
               Happened twice (removal, testing lock)- took a long time to find 3 out of 4 parts.

I NOW ALWAYS USE CLEAR BAG FROM FRUIT/VEG MARKET WHEN SWITCHING EXTENSIONS.   
                                                                                         (you can not buy just that little inner part)

But I have bought extra cap and barrel pins just in case!
                          (as usual 3rd hand would help)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 08:53:48 AM by bamboobob »

bamboobob

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 08:56:28 AM »
Griff - Two hands great idea - Bob

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 10:12:14 AM »

Good point Richard.

Especially true for mag inner locking plate( spring too).
               Happened twice (removal, testing lock)- took a long time to find 3 out of 4 parts.

I NOW ALWAYS USE CLEAR BAG FROM FRUIT/VEG MARKET WHEN SWITCHING EXTENSIONS.   
                                                                                         (you can not buy just that little inner part)

But I have bought extra cap and barrel pins just in case!
                          (as usual 3rd hand would help)

That clear plastic bag technique is a good one and certainly beats draping a sheet over yourself.   ;)

As for third hands, at first (back in 2004) I would use the well-manicured hand of my wife to insert the pin.  Our late friend, R. J. Hedley, being the inventive genius that he was, had his own third-hand technique:

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/thirdhand.htm

I certainly do miss R. J.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

bamboobob

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 07:07:46 PM »
Richard -Nice link-  here is another --- " R9 Lubrication Recommendations"
http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/r9-lube.htm

Very Good pic's

?? What about dry lube spray on ammo??

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 07:14:24 PM »
Can't hurt unless they are too slippery to load; let us know how it works.