Author Topic: Competition Revolver -- full frame, 357???  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Competition Revolver -- full frame, 357???
« on: August 16, 2005, 05:55:37 AM »
I'm thinking about getting involved in IDPA or IPSC shooting w. a revolver -- don't want anything that can't be used otherwise, but something that I'd primarily use in these contests.  So, full-framed, moon clips, and I think in 357 mag -- nice reliable cartrige IMO, and one that I find very comfortable to shoot and easy to control -- at least in a SA colt, which is the only full-frame revolver I'm familiar with.

So, I'd like any suggestions on models to consider, as well as suggested modifications.  The only things I really thought about were having to action smoothed out, porting it -- as I don't really intend it as a self-defense gun -- and maybe something w. the sights.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Competition Revolver -- full frame, 357???
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 11:42:16 AM »
I have some thoughts...  ;D  I shoot revolvers in IPSC on a regular basis.

My preference for a game gun is an N-Frame Smith & Wesson.  The gold standard for competition wheelguns is the S&W 625.  This is a large frame (N-frame) six-shot revolver in .45 ACP.  Using the .45 ACP cartridge makes for easy loading/unloading with moonclips.  Moonclips, in my opinion, are the only way to go for a competition gun.  The 625 is available in any number of configuarations: 4 or 5 inch barrels, short or full underlugs, etc.

The best buy on a 625 game gun right now is the 625 JM.  JM is for Jerry Mickulek -- the "fastest revolver shooter in the world."  For about $40 more than the standard 625, you get the smooth JM style wood grips, wider "speed" trigger, and gold bead partridge sight.  

IHMO, the 625 JM is a great out of the box set-up.  The only way to do beter out of the box is to buy the 625 Perfomance Center model -- which is quite a bit more money.

The only thing I do to my game guns is replace the mainspring with a reduced power version and polish/lube the internals.  Oh -- and I usually remove the hammer block safety (that prevents firing if you slip while thumb cocking -- which I don't do).

If you must have a .357 magnum gun, the 627 Performance Center model would be a great way to go.  Its a moonclip fed N-frame that holds 8 shots!  Its also not cheap, and even the moonclips are a lot more expensive.

You could go with an L-frame gun like a 686, but very few come from the factory set up for moonclips, so you would have to have that done.

Again, my opinion, but the stubby fat .45 ACP rounds drop into the cylinder much easier and faster than the longer and more finicky .357 moonclips.

Anything else?  ;D  I have thoughts on holsters and moonclip holders too...

(How do you like the SP-101?)

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 02:10:19 PM »
Can't add much to Duane's good advice.  

My 625 is not a JM - just std Smith but - on the occasions I do some IDPA with revo that has to be the choice - I doubt anything is quite as fast as moon's and .45 acp ball ammo.

Re .357 - well, I have one gun that is good for that - a M-28, with bobbed hammer, trigger job and chamfered chambers.  This with Comp2 series Safariland speedloaders is near as quick as 625, particularly if ball ammo used too.  Of course rounds are not held as a set and sometimes case dump can go wrong - but it is pretty quick.  I only use 38 spl tho - .357 is just too much like hard work for lots of double taps!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
625 performance center version?
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 07:52:11 PM »
OK, so ya'll convinced me to go w. a 625 -- that, and I like 45 ACP's price -- Is the JM version really that different -- I have "funny" shaped hands -- big palms and little fingers, so I was thinking about getting custom grips at any rate -- I read something about the JM version having different rifling to shoot lead bullets better than jacketed ones, and that it also only shoots a 4" group at 25 yds -- of course, I also read a lot of "problems" about the R9 which was a bunch of...  Is the performance center version just a snub nose, or is there a different one not on the website.

Thanks
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 08:18:11 PM »
The 625 JM has a few differences -- the JM style grips (actually good for small hands), the partridge-style gold bead front sight, the wider grooved speed trigger, champhering of the cylinders, and the JM logos.  These enhancements, for me, are worth the relatively small increase in price ($50?) over the standard 625 model.  These are also somewhat limited (in the larger sense of the word  ;D) and have a unique JM serial number prefix.

S&W also offers a 4" and 5" Performance Center 625 that comes with all the standard PC goodies.  They are available through either RSR or Lew Horton.  Its a partial underlug type style like a Mountain Gun.

Never heard about any rifling differences in the JM and I only shoot jacketed stuff.  My accuracy is a hell of a lot better than 4" at 25 yards.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com