Author Topic: Pinky extension for R9 magazine  (Read 14884 times)

Offline rtw

• Expert
Pinky extension for R9 magazine
« on: May 03, 2005, 09:17:06 PM »
Someone will probably develop an extension piece that easily attaches to an R9 magazine without a lot of effort. Will that be a good idea?

They seem to help on a Walther PPK. It would be a hindrance for pocket carry, but perhaps not for IWB/OWB carry.

I'd buy one if it was well made (hint Eric). I'd also buy a well made disassembly/reassembly jig (hint again Eric).
Welcome home

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
Re: Pinky extension for R9 magazine
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 11:05:29 PM »
I think someone has already modifyed a Pierce extention made for another gun to fit the R9. ???
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 02:50:07 AM »
>>You are correct about the Pearce Extension for the R9...what I did was to modify the Pearce Pinky Extension made for the Kahr MK9 and it works great...!...adds a lot of control to the R9.  Someone else already posted a nice picture of this setup but I can't find it...so below please find a quick pic I shot this evening of my set up.  Enjoy...TW<<

« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 01:31:05 PM by TW »

Offline BamaTex

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 10:15:13 AM »
When I saw Rohrbaugh at the NRA convention a couple of weeks ago, they had the demo guns and had pinky extensions on the mags. They really make a difference.
I asked the Rep, Mike Ward, I think, if my gun was going to come with the extensions. He said no, but the extensions were available on their website. I went to the website and no pinky extensions. So, that makes me think, in the future we might be able to order them from Rohrbaugh.
He told me who they were getting the extensions from, but being 50 and all, I do not remember. I do remember him saying they were back ordered, but were available now.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 12:01:16 PM »
I think that these extensions will be available soon. I have a sample one from the SHOT SHOW. If we all just have a little patience,there goes that word again, they will be available on the web site soon. Lets remember that they are trying to get out guns right now. They are boxing up R9s as I write this.      Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 12:26:02 PM »
>>When I last spoke with Eric he told me that Rohrbaugh would, in fact, be carrying the pinky extensions in the future.

Apparently this came about at the recent Shot Show as the Rohrbaugh booth was right next to the Pearce booth.  Mr. Pearce took a look at the R9 and decided he could modify an existing extension for another gun to fit the R9.  He ended up using one intended for the Kahr MK9 and it worked fine after a little carving with a pocket knife...needed to cut away a small section in order to accommodate the mag release on the R9.

The Rohrbaugh brothers were quite impressed with the look and feel of the pinky extension.  Seems they made up a few at the show for their guns and a couple to sell.  I first learned about the extension right here on the Rohrbaugh forum as one of the contributors (whos name I can't remember) had made an extension of his own at this same time using the same Pearce product...!...and then another contributor (who I also can't remember) posted saying he had just bought one off of Rohrbaugh (who have since sold out their original stock).  That is when I decided to make some of my own.

I purchased my Pearce extension from GT Distributors, Inc.  Contact them either by phone (706) 866-2764, or do what I did and get them off the web site at http://www.gtdist.com/ .  Again, the product to buy is the Pearce Grip Extension for the Kahr MK9.  The GT item number is PRC-PG-MK9, and the cost is $9.95 (can't remember if that is for one or two...but I ended up with two).

Like I said before...I LOVE the look and feel of the pinky extension on the R9...!  It gives you a lot more control of the gun when shooting = better accuracy...AND...less shock = pain to the hand...!!  I have big, chunky hands and I get a full two finger grip on the gun using the modified Pearce extension.

The actual modification of the grip involves a sharp knife and a little whittling for trial and fit...took me all of three minutes to accomplish.  I don't know for sure but it is possible Pearce will be making pinky extensions specifically for the R9 in the future...would be worth a call to Maria at Rohrbaugh to find out (if you find out - tell us here!).  But even if they are the hand carved/modified Kahr item...they will still look and feel great, and I would (and will) buy more in a heart beat...!

I hope this helps folks with what they might want to know about the R9 Pinky Extension.  Remember...you heard it hear on the Rohrbaugh forums first...!...well, maybe.

Hey, Chris...why don't you make a note of this on the FAQ site as an FYI...yes...?...no...?...TW<<
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 02:31:45 PM by TW »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 02:00:06 PM »
Thanks TW that should answer those questions about the grip extension.   Tom

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 02:36:15 PM »
>>Hey Tom...!!...

You are at post #199...so you are about to produce the big #220...!!  **drum roll...**...TW<<

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 03:07:32 PM »
TW, thanks for your help on my 200 post. I can use all the help I can get.    Tom

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 04:55:30 PM »
I'm back,     and stirrin' up trouble..
 Below is an early link to the extension thing..

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Accessories;action=display;num=1086042131
RJ=

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 05:14:54 PM »
>>Hi RJ...!...

It's great to see you back in the saddle, so to speak...!!

That may be the earliest post about mag extensions but the one I was referring to including a photo...hmmmmm...where did it go...TW<<...

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 09:53:48 PM »
RJ:

Welcome back!  Just in case you haven't seen the postings at the top of the site, you have been missed.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 01:57:42 AM »
This is the link to a thread I posted a few months ago. It has some pics that show where I carved out a bit of the extension. I've been using them since then and they haven't worked their way loose or interfered with the mag release/lock.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Gunsmith;action=display;num=1108442866
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005, 02:25:30 AM »
>>Thanks, FireBreath...!...**clap, clap, clap**...THAT'S the thread I've been looking for, which means YOU are the smart fella who (simultaneously) came up with the idea...!!  Your pictures are better than mine and show how the extension has to be cut away to fit around the mag release...although I don't think I cut as much as you did.  But the point is - it works...!...and works GREAT...!!...looks pretty good too!!...TW<<

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2005, 07:13:38 PM »
Now, If I could just find an extension for my...

Whoops, wrong forum.
Welcome home