Author Topic: A couple of questions concerning failures  (Read 43760 times)

Offline justin2992

• Expert
Re: A couple of questions concerning failures
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2004, 10:04:24 PM »
Speer Gold Dot 115s are my carry round. I'm looking for a reliable practice round at least one that I don't have to constantly clear jams with. I don't think anyone that carries legally uses Blazer as a carry round lol.  You'd have to go to the Temple ER in Philly to see gunshot wounds with ball ammo.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 10:10:05 PM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2004, 10:51:24 PM »
Justin .. the CCI Blazer (aluminum case) stuff I hope to testing tomorrow along with other stuff, is actually 115 JHP ... I used to think all the Blazer was hardball but - not so. :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2004, 11:02:23 PM »
The Blazer 9mm 115 I got is FMJ $5.97 for 50

Here I thought the picture you have labeled Blazer 115 was actually Gold Dot 115, good to know.  Maybe the Rohrbaugh does'nt work with ball ammo like the Seecamp.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 11:04:51 PM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2004, 11:13:15 PM »
My 115 JHP Blazers were (ouch!!) .. $13.95 ... another ouch!

The pic I put on the ammo test thread was this one and yeah ... round on right is .. Blazer 115 JHP .. sorry about poor white balance.

That Blazer 115 JHP does tho have almost exactly same OAL as the GD's.

I would reckon overall tho - that the R9 like most 9mm small pistols would (usually) digest ball ammo always a tad better than HP's ... possibly not the case... but feeding should in theory always be that bit better.

I may add some ball stuff thru R9 tomorrow if i get testing . I have hundreds of rounds of straight Win ball ... tho without pulling am not sure of bullet weight.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2004, 11:15:57 PM »
I would definetly like to see a definitive reliability test with ball ammo.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 11:17:57 PM by justin2992 »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2004, 11:33:19 PM »
Funnily enough ... tho not a huge qty used ... my first or second test run used some WWB ball ..... and it fed and shot well.  Certainly no failures.

We'll see tho - I'll pull a bullet from this bulk stuff I have .. ball ammo .... Win headstamp .. and try and put quite a few thru - just to see.  I think I have plenty of WWB ball left too - so one or the other - or both.  We'll see how time goes.

(The wet packs are soaking nicely! :D )
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2004, 12:02:57 AM »
Eric received my R9 today and said that it was just dirty.  I hope he's right, but the gun did malfunction a lot during my 1st sessions (140 rounds).  I'll feel really dumb if that's all it was.  I've only shot 315 rounds through the gun to date.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2004, 12:11:47 AM »
I'm not absolutely sure what Eric would regard as ''OK dirt'' as against ''prejudicial dirt'' .. I know when he went to demo the gun to FBI it began to malfunction purely cos of crud etc ... tho that was IIRC quite a goodly number of rounds.  The guys were pumping rounds thru at a prodigious rate apparently!

I feel myself that if I have had a session of up to 100 rounds then ... a major and efficient clean is paramount .. more than I'd do say on a 1911 ... larger semi.

This gun is in a way ''pushing the envelope'' I think .. and so I am happy to accept that cleanliness is important.  Might not be everything but - still major importance.

I expect it'll be test fired .. cleaned and tested again ....
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2004, 12:27:19 AM »
He left a message saying that it's already on its way back to me.  I hope it's fixed.  It will be my most expensive cleaning yet.

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2004, 02:43:29 AM »
One thing I noticed after my first range session was all of the crud in my R9S. It was heavily imbedded in the grease the gun was lubed with from the factory. I could easily attribute any problems I had with the Wal-Mart Winchester White box 9mm FMJ to having a dirty gun. The Speer 115 GD HP, which I used at the end of my range session, worked perfectly. When I cleaned the R9S, I relubed with Militec 1. I haven't had an opportunity to shoot it again because of my work schedule and the weather, but I will let everyone know how my next range session works out.

Frank

BobJ

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2004, 01:48:22 AM »
I received my R9s, No. 196, yesterday, and had a brief trial today.  With WWB 115 gr JHP, 42 rounds, had no problems.  With Speer GD HP 124 gr, had two FTF out of 14 rounds.  It may have been the same round failing twice since I ejected the failure and put it in the next magazine.  
Accuracy was scattered, but that was more me than the gun.  The DAO long pull is very different for me.  But, I was able to settle in more toward the end.
It's a great feeling little gun.    

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2004, 09:33:32 AM »
Glad you have yours Bob . (did I ever say Hi?  I quite forget!) ....... I ran test #3 yesterday - 5 different ammo types ... yet to write it all up.  I went thru probably 100 rounds in total .. almost - flawlessly.  
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

BobJ

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2004, 10:39:53 AM »
Thanks, R9sCarry, it's good to be here.
When you post the latest test results, where will it be - - what thread?
Will you include a summary blending new results in with previous info - - general conclusions.  
At this time, I'm assuming that Speer GD is a primary choice for carry use.  But, 115 or 124?  Or, either?  Personal preference?
My main interest will be in finding a reliable practice round that feels similar to the carry round, and is reasonably priced.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2004, 01:09:40 AM »
Bob, yeah --- finding the ideal practice round is somewhat of a quest.  carry tho - GD's so far best and not sure really whether any great pref' so far for 115 or 124 . I have 124's and so use those right now.

The report when done will be a link to a server of mine ... much as test #2  - I write it all up in html . so a thread is impractical..... and some conclusions from this new test will echo back to some things earlier - I have some ideas as to why some results were as they were.

Been on a most enjoyable biker rally with wife today . so no time for write up - and tomorrow - off to a model plane fun fly ... sheesh .. so much to do!! :D  I will tho hope to knuckle down after all this indulgence and get things done .. along with some work!!  Soon as I can.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2004, 07:46:56 PM »
Shot another 100 rounds through it.  3 failures with Blazer FMJ; too many to count with Winchester Ranger T 147 gr.  I was getting stovepipes and failure to feeds.  When I was shooting one handed the gun would cycle but it wouldn't pick up the next round.  This gun is pissing me off!