Author Topic: A couple of questions concerning failures  (Read 43880 times)

Offline justin2992

• Expert
Re: A couple of questions concerning failures
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2004, 09:07:02 PM »
Incursion, at least it's nice and clean.  
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 09:39:02 PM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2004, 10:15:30 PM »
Why not try the Gold Dots that everyone else is having very good results with?

How much did you shoot it with one hand?  Are you sure you are not limp wristing?  Have you let others shoot it?

Eric would have no reason to send it back to you if it wasn't working 100% for them at the factory.  I am trying to figure out why it is not working for you.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2004, 10:16:47 PM »
Incursion:

When you get ready to sell your Rohrbaugh, let me know.  I would like to have an extra on hand to use for spare parts in the unlikely event that my absolutely flawless and immaculately clean "early-edition" R9s ever develops a vice or two.  

RS

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2004, 01:19:29 AM »
I've let other people shoot it, and it still malfunctions.  However, it does malfunction less in other people's hands.  This gun should not be this sensitive to grip.  I can shoot pretty well (less than 1" groups at 7 yards), so I have some semblance of what I'm doing.  I plan to buy 1000 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 115 gr., but I don't think it's the ammo.  the OAL of the Ranger T 147 gr. is less than a Gold Dot.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 01:20:43 AM by Incursion »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2004, 01:38:56 AM »
See, I don't find the gun to be particularly grip sensitive at all.  I tried to induce limpwrist malfunctions without success.  Mine hasn't choked yet -- on about 250 rounds of Win White Box FMJ and Gold Dots.  I have also let 4 other people shoot it with no problems.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2004, 11:16:10 AM »
All right, I orderded up some Gold Dots and plan to clean the gun every 50 rounds at the range as suggested by Eric.  I will report back after Saturday.

Does anyone else in Houston have a Rohrbaugh?  Ok I just checked the recoil spring, and it was a full coil shorter than a new spring after 415 rounds.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 08:53:01 PM by Incursion »

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2004, 09:03:04 AM »
Just my thoughts on these failures.  

Remember when all that was talked about was how finely fitted these Rohrbaugh's are?  Well, there is a price to pay for that tight fitted pistol,   you must keep it clean & properly lubed . I would think you would pick a premium band of ammo to shoot and stick with it.

It would make me feel pretty foolish to pay return shipping cost of $35 or so, just for a basic clean & lube.

The Colt 1911, the old Warhorse, was very loosely fitted in order to continue to work even dirty, and was not very accurate.

The Rohrbaugh R9  may not be for everyone.
 Flame away....

« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 09:46:41 AM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2004, 10:12:53 AM »
I did feel pretty foolish, but other people don't seem to be having the problems that I'm experiencing even though they're using the same brands of ammo.  I'll report back after I shoot the Gold Dots.  I plan to clean it after every 25 rounds or so.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2004, 10:26:52 AM »
I would think the pistol should go 50 rounds before cleaning and re-lubing.

Don't be discouraged, tighten that grip, and keep on shootin'..
RJ=

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2004, 10:37:10 AM »
Hi Incursion,

I hope that your range session goes well for you. If you use the Gold Dot 115 grain HPs, your gun is clean and properly lubricated, and you are still having problems, I would definitely give the factory a call again and let them know that there is something that they missed. People make mistakes and they may have made one with your gun.

Not to start a debate, but I don't buy into the limp wristing thing. I have never had a problem with an automatic, including the R9S, that I could attribute to limp wristing. It is just my humble opinion, but if a gun is that sensitive, I sure wouldn't want to carry it for self protection. Magazine, ammunition, dirt or lubrication sensitive I can understand.

Good Luck,

Frank

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2004, 11:02:00 AM »
I agree about the tight tolerances.  This gun is a Ferrari -- its gotta be clean and well-lubed.  Its not a Glock or a 1911 that are more able to work out of tolerance.  Cleaning every 50 should be fine.  I put 100+ rounds through mine before the first cleaning, with no problems.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the factory was wrong just yet -- let him try it with ammo of known function like the Gold Dots.  This is gun is not overly finicky, or a "one round wonder" like some, but it does have some ammo sensitivity.

I don't personally believe that limp wristing is a problem with this gun -- at least not for me.  I have tried to induce limp wrist type failures and been unable to do so.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 11:02:33 AM by admin »
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2004, 11:39:52 AM »
When I locked my shooting arm, the gun seemed to work slightly better.

Have you guys ever shot a SIG 210-6?  Those things are tight as heck, yet they just keep on runnin'.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2004, 02:25:17 PM »
I am thinking more and more ... the R9 is very much a hibrid .... not a cart horse ... it's a racing highly strung stallion!!  :)

I am struggling to make time to get my test stuff written up - got images all but ready to use .. now a load of writing to be done.

I have come up I think with some interesting theories .... and will expound those in the write-up ... somewhat a case of ''only feed this hibrid the right food'' .. sorta thing! ;D  More soon.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2004, 03:08:58 PM »
OK, I shot another 73 rounds.  This gun definitely needs to be cleaned every 50 rounds in my opinion.  I shot 115 gr. Gold Dots.  The first mag was horrible--about 3 jams.  After that, it was flawless until the end where I had another 3 jams, but you could easily tell it was dirty because it wouldn't always go back into battery after hand cycling.  You could also feel the slide catching.  I plan to go back tomorrow and shoot it some more, but this time I won't forget my damn punch.

I'm still wondering why the first mag jammed up so much.  I'm guessing the spring wasn't lined up correctly or something.  From now on, I plan to shoot a mag through it after cleaning it to ensure functioning before I carry.

I hope this is the end of my troubles!  I'll report back later.

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2004, 10:43:28 PM »
Well, now I know why I couldn't break the gun down at the range.  The takedown pin cracked!