Author Topic: Finally!!  (Read 20448 times)

Offline whoisjohngalt

Re: Finally!!
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2005, 06:40:31 AM »

Chris,
    In MI we do not call it Register..It is called a "Safety Check" ::) ::) ::) ???

This has went on forever but yes you have to go to whatever your local PD is and have it logged into the system..
We even get a nice little "green card" that says we did so.. ;)

Some areas have a limited time period during the day or week to do this in..I am lucky to live in one that is easy to go thru the process.. 8)

We all have our hoops to jump thru don't we??? :'(

BTW-You all that went thru John-You did'nt fall in his "pit" in the driveway did you??? :D

Offline whoisjohngalt

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 06:43:40 AM »
That's not a "pit", Brenden.......It's now officially a Pond! I have the photos of the geese swimming in it to prove it.
Ah, the joys of renting........ >:(

And a big thanks to Maria and the Bros' "R" for coming through for my customers!

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
  • " A armed society is a polite society"
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 10:19:38 AM »
Well here is the promised range report:

I first disassembled this wondrous little piece, anxious to see just what everyone was talking about, when they went to re-assemble it!......... and it is a difficult process to re-assemble with out special tooling ( which I will be making shortly) .. special pliers with a slot milled into one jaw for the replacement of the Recoil System, .. pin hole locater, etc,etc.

Added a little more " Super-lube" to the barrel where it is belled, and did a re-assembly and headed out back to the range.

Fired 150 rounds with only 1 ftf and I'm so sure that wasn't my fault, as the round may not have been seated properly in the mag!  I release the mag a 1/4 of an inch and push it back up into position and the jammed round went into battery and I was good to go,.......... it was the second round in the mag.
From then on it was all flawless shooting, and what a dream it was.

I fired from a measured 21ft, and from 45 feet, did not move back any further than that. My most accurate groups where at the longer distance ... don't know why,  I had one group of 6 that was 1-3/4 inches the best of all, as I had settled down and really concentrated by that time.  After that the old arthritic hands started to feel the recoil and I was not grouping so good.

The ammo I used was.....

124 gr. FMG   American Eagle
147 gr. JHP  sub-sonic   Federal---called a HI-Power round but definitely not a +P or a +P+
147 gr. JHP HYDRA-SHOK Federal Premium......this is the round that the R9s liked the best.  
I got better groups with this round than any of the others, and shot equal amount with all the ammo.

The " Little Pup"  is all that I imagined it to be and like I said previously  " and than some".

I've been carrying it in a DeSantis front pocket and it is fast and easy to get into play if the need be, and does not print at all.

I have complete confidence in this little " Gem" and could not be happier.

I do have a issue with the way the mags were welded though,...( having been in this line of work for some 50 years or so) the weld ends up near the end of the feed lips and leaves a small crater that could possible develop into a crack over time,.........I dissemble both of mine and it was not visible to the eye if there where any cracks or not!  I will do a NDT testing and see if this could be a problem! The weld or fusion should have been done from top to bottom and that way the small crater would not be in a critical area.  Actually there should not be a crater there at all, if the welder or weld process paid attention to detail.
mismatch

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2005, 01:06:29 PM »
mismatch - excellent report Sir and thank you - all seems good and I am pleased to hear of your delight.  There are few I think who not remember that same feeling in early days of ownership.

I just checked my mags .... the two for each gun - all exhibit the same very small artifact you mention.  From my POV I do not feel this will be an issue over time as I cannot see any crack formation being able to propogate, stresses being pretty modest.  Be interested tho to know your test result.

Welcome to the club! :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005, 01:30:12 PM »
R9S,

Thank you for the "kind" retort.  I will do a dye penetrant test here at home, and the next time I go to the shop I will use their mag. particle and ultra-sound testing equip. ...unless of course I find something with just the dye test alone.

Had worked in power generation for G.E. for many years and in doing repair ( welding and grinding ) on the steam turbines a small crater like this had been know to open up and create havoc within the system itself, sometimes resulting in a multi-million dollar repair, and taking months.

I guess when I first notice the flaw, a red flag went up and old concerns came to the surface.  Just thought I'd mentioned it on the forum as I had not see this matter posted before.

I'm sure you are right, and is really not a matter for grave concern, ...would just rather have that little dimple at the bottom of the mag.
mismatch

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2005, 01:52:08 PM »
mismatch:

That was a good report.  Congratulations on your new acquisition, and welcome to the club of R9 owners.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2005, 02:39:43 PM »
mismatch, Thanks for your report. The R9 is a wonder. The weld on the mag might just prompt a change in the the mag welding process. We are all waiting on your end report.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2005, 02:40:41 PM »
Thank you Richard S, much appreciated

Son is running a late night shoot tonight,  I'm going to go out and see what kind of " night flash"  I get from the pup!

I know DD Gator, did one with that Monster revolver of his, but I'm interested to see just what R9s does at night, will photograph and try to post!
mismatch

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2005, 03:42:26 AM »
I got some really nice groups out of 147 Hydra-shocks as well, haven't gotten to try out the 115 gold dots yet
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2005, 10:27:24 AM »
I got to try my new R9S today.  It is everything I hoped for.  Could not be happier.

It does kick somewhat more than my Browning Buck Mark Camper .22.  I can see why some folks stop shooting after 25 rounds.l

The arthritis in the shooting hand took a pretty bad jolt.  In fact, it was downright painful.  I stopped after 12 rounds.

There was one FTF which I blame on not holding it well.

The trigger was extremely smooth, and I was surprised how very long the pull was.  That's just the safety factor  I was looking for.

The new manual has an insert, with a picture and text saying that Channel Lock pliers should be used to compress the spring, during re-assembly.

That knowledge will be very helpful.

Many thanks to John Johnson at Performance Firearms, and of course, very special thanks to Rohrbaugh Firearms for making this wonderful product.

Thanks to all the special friends here, who are very appreciated.

Bill

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2005, 11:24:03 AM »
Guys, We are happy that you are happy with the new pups. Thanks for the good reports.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2005, 10:02:58 PM »
Range Report...

All I had time for this afternoon was a quick backyard five rounds of 115 gr. Winchester White Box FMJ at 10 yards -- standing, off-hand.

First round went low.  The other four grouped good enough for self defense work.  No malfunctions.  No evidence of tumbling as some have reported.  With being the first 5 rounds I've fired out of the pistol, I am well pleased.

Recoil was not bad in my opinion.  All five rounds went through 1/2" plywood target backer and an 8" x 8" timber.  Bullets were recovered -- undeformed slightly below the surface of the dirt behind the timber.  Brass ejected cleanly to the right and behind at about 5 feet.  No case deformity, but slight firing pin drag mark on the primers.

I need more practice with it -- and will post more thorough range reports, but I have no concern about carrying it as a self defense pocket gun with a good standard pressure hollow-point such as the 124 gr. Gold Dot.

I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2005, 10:09:14 PM »
I find also Fly that my tendency is low left - not enough to concern me at all.  

Tho I feel I have a very good grip after much practice - I think with a gun this small - personal grip habits/preferences can affect POI a bit.

Glad you had a chance to try yours even if just a few rounds.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2005, 08:12:13 AM »
I've noticed the drag marks on the fired cases also, is this common with all the R9 pistols?  

Other than " fly"  and myself has anyone else noticed these firing pin marks ?

I've fired over 200 rounds as of yesterday, and have not had any problems.  It is my constant companion,  I think the wife is getting jealous!!

Still intend to give report on the welds on the mags. .... have to find the material to do the testing.  I have it some where, moved 50 years of collections some 1-1/2 years ago and still trying to find things, boxes,...boxes, ...everywhere!
mismatch

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2005, 01:34:02 PM »
Fred - I had not mentioned re drag marks but yes, IIRC it is not uncommon.  Something too that is seen on Glocks if I recall.  Regarded as quite normal.

The pup does not have a fully floating firing pin so it ain't that but - I am thinking that simply due to the rapidity of events during cycling, there is enough pin protrusion remaining as empty case inpacts ejector, so producing a slight side swipe on primer.  No cause for concern IMO at all.

Still be keen to know your test results if and when you get time to check those mags.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site