Author Topic: Range Report & Safety Warning  (Read 3084 times)

Offline tacticalnarc

Range Report & Safety Warning
« on: November 28, 2005, 11:17:47 PM »
I finally shot my R9S serial # R68#. I shot 260 rounds over 3 different sessions.

1st day: 72 rounds of Gold dot 124 gr standard pressure. With a very strong 2 handed hold I would get a Failure to Feed on the 5th round of both magazines almost every time. With a strong one handed hold I would get random FTFs. They were all the same. It looked like the round wanted to chamber but would get stuck at an angle.

Safety Warning: I had 3 strange occurences. The hammer would get stuck to the rear as if it was "cocked" like a single action. I tried to press the trigger again but it didn't help. The fist two times I simply unloaded the gun and racked the slide to reset the hammer. My luck ran out the third time. As I disengaged the mag catch, the hammer dropped, causing the gun to discharge. Since I did not have a firing grip, I ended up dropping the gun. My hand stung painfully and for a horrified instant I thought that I had shot myself. Fortunately the gun dropped onto a rubber mat, the round went downrange, and I was uninjured. That shook me up and I stopped for the day.

Although this is my first Rohrbaugh, I'm fairly experienced with other guns. I'm a longtime police department firearms instructor and rangemaster. I have been to numerous armorer courses and I worked as an armorer during my Marine Corps service many years ago. I figured that I probably had a burr or sharp edge somewhere in the internals. I hoped that it would smooth out with further shooting and it seems I was right.

2nd day: I cleaned and relubed with superlube per the instructions contained elsewhere on this site. I could not punch the pin out with hand pressure alone. I found that the thin end of a military cleaning toothbrush wedged between the breechface and barrel hood holds the slide open perfectly so that the pin could be tapped out. I shot the remainder of my gold dots (28 rounds) I had the half cock problem once and then it went away for good. Again I noticed FTF's on the 5th round of both mags every time.

When I finished with my Gold Dots, I started shooting 115 grain Silvertips and had much better results. I only had half a box full but out of 4 mags I only had one FTF (5th round of course). The Silvertips were much softer shooting than the Gold Dots but had way more muzzle flash. I may experiment more with them in the future. Strangely, the gun also felt smoother.

I also shot some old 147 grain Hydra-Shoks. Again I only had half a box but out of 4 mags I only had one FTF (5th round). Muzzle flash is non existent with this round.

I began to obsess on the 5th round problem. That night while cleaning the gun, I disassembled and examined the magazines. I noticed that there was roughly welded area on the inside of the back of the magazines. Using just a wooden handled Q-tip and Flitz polish, I lightly polished the rough area. I also thoroughly cleaned the magazines. The polishing seemed to help.

3rd day: I shot 50 rounds of the 147 gr Hydra shok and 50 rounds of 147 gr Ranger SXT. With a strong two handed hold I got no malfunctions at all with one magazine. The other mag would still FTF on the 5th round almost every time. I even got two complete mags in a row with no malfunctions shooting one handed.

100 rounds in one session is a lot with this gun. I am going to change recoil springs and polish that other mag a little more. Does anyone have any suggestions about that 5th round thing?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 11:20:33 PM by tacticalnarc »

Offline Buz

Re: Range Report & Safety Warning
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 11:52:40 PM »
Wow, what a bummer!
My R9s is serial # R68x too!  Still haven't fired her yet.
Have you considered shipping back for an examination?

I would really think about sending it back for the hammer sticking problem.  That does not sound good.

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 08:33:32 AM »
That is a real puzzeler.  Your observations are quite educational.  Please keep us apprised.

My R (#5XX) remains flawless.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 08:36:56 AM »
 :o This makes my frozen R9 experience look tame! :o

(My gun's still with the factory, BTW.)

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 10:14:09 AM »
The 5th rd. problem sounds surely to be a mag. deffect. I have two early guns and had to tinker with the mag lips to stop FTF intermitent problem. If things are improving the more you shoot maybe the weapon is breaking in and smoothing out though the hammer situation is alarming. Might be wise to call factory for an opinion on that situation.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 11:34:19 AM »
Sounds like the weapon is breaking in alright. You probably didn't need the adventure along the way.  Checked both my magazines and they are smooth.  This gun has been flawless.  Hope a second polish takes care of your problem.  Keep us informed and good luck.  Also welcome to the forum.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 11:46:58 AM »
tacticalnarc, maybe a little oil around the hammer sides might help.

That sounds downright scary that the round fired while pressing the magazine catch.

I would probably have to contact the factory because of that.

Bill

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 11:48:18 AM »
Skyhook, I hope your pistol comes soon.  You've waited long enough.

It will be good to have a fresh start.

Bill

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 02:27:01 PM »
Thank you, Bill!

Maria just left a mssg saying the 'package' was in the mail and will arrive tomorrow!!

Tomorrow!!   Yeeee, Hawwww!!

(Wanna start a pool as to how long it will be in my mitts before it is making barking sounds on my backyard range??) ;D

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 03:24:50 PM »
Outstanding!  Great news, Skyhook.

I'm very happy for you.  Please tell how it works, as soon as you can.

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 10:57:43 PM »
Tactical - thx for the detailed write-up.  Does sound like break-in is working tho like others - but of concern re the hammer phenomenon.

I think it is worth checking any mags with any gun - however well made they seem to be or are supposed to be.  The mag follower function has to be perfect and any hang up, particularly when spring weaker as with an emptier mag - is going to be bad news.

Sounds like Flitzing was beneficial :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 01:22:57 AM »
Tacticalnarc,
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the detailed report.  Good thing you are well-drilled in keeping your weapon pointed in a safe direction - always.  I can image you were a bit rattled - I'd be thinking about stuffing a spare pair of skivvies in my range bag!!

Seriously, I've got 350 rounds thru mine and never had the hammer hang up when firing.  I did notice, though, that pulling the trigger with the slide off causes the hammer on my gun to cycle but not reset.  I have to thumb the hammer back manually to "re-time" with the trigger.  (I don't usually pull the trigger like that, but I had taken the sideplate, spring, and connector bar off to lube the pivots.)  I wonder if your sticking and my failure to reset are related.  Any other forum members members notice this when cleaning?

My mags seem pretty smooth on the inside.  One of the members noted some time ago that the weld seems to have been made in the wrong direction so there is a pit - stress riser - at the top of the mag where the follower has the least spring tension to get past an internal rough spot.  At the time we were speculating on whether the mags will eventually develop cracks.  I'll have to strip my mags after the next range session and see if there is any roughness inside.

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 08:04:50 PM »
Skyhook, that is great news. It is good to see that you are happy for its return. I hope this is it, the last time it will need to go back to the factory.

Good Luck, and let us know what happens.