Author Topic: FBI-CIA?  (Read 19000 times)

Offline Mort

FBI-CIA?
« on: April 29, 2009, 11:47:34 AM »
There is a fairly early R9S listed on "gunbroker". In the item description he states it is used by "the CIA and FBI as deep undercover."

Anyone able to verify this statement?

Mort

ccoorreeyy

Re: FBI-CIA?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 12:57:12 PM »
I saw that also, it's the first I had heard of it.

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:33:40 PM »
And it's going for some serious coin for a two-tone.  I wonder if that's because of the CF grips, the 3-digit SN, or just crazy bidding.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:38:42 PM »
Yep.  It's new in the box but is an older gun with CF and that seems to be bringing some big $$.

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 03:19:17 PM »
Being NIB, that probably means the factory would update the recoil/mag springs for free?

Those CF grips are pretty sweet I have to admit, but with the rarity I'd hate to carry it with them.  I can already see where my pocket is wearing the G10 on the edge (just a visual oddity at this point, nothing you can feel).

Man I wish IDM would produce another batch of black Aluminum grips.  I want a set of those way more than CF.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 09:21:52 AM »
I am the idiot with the present highest bid on gunbroker. I know it is high but I am trying to undo my stupidity of having sold my Farmingdale cf grip R9S.

Nobody is more critical of G10 than I and I am putting my money where my mouth is.

I could care less about CIA or FBI. The seller did not know about rarity of cf grips until I advised him. I was trying to make a deal and he kept the auction open, after posting the information I had fed him. Oops.

Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 10:28:35 AM »
ACP!  Good luck on the bid.  It's all in what you want and willing to pay for!   :)    :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:29:11 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 12:52:46 PM »
Absolutely, and thank you. I sold my Farmingdale R9 to buy a work of art that I still have. (The work is dated 1858 and cost 3.5 R9s and is worth 5 R9s today. However, the market is glutted with antiques as people seek liquidity to cover debt during the present financial crisis).

Value and price do not always intersect. Whereas value is an assessment, price is what one is willing to pay. If I win the auction, fine. If not, I have a backup plan.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Scax

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 06:39:02 PM »
Just curious -- did you tell the seller about his CF grips in an effort to get him to sell to you for less - lol -- just a humorous gibe?  Beware of shill bidding which is highly popular on ebay and possibly elsewhere....  I, for one, will NOT bid against you.  I'm still thinking on those Ivory-look grips which are really beautiful on the hard chrome framed R9.  Wonder how they'd look on a Stealth.  Hmmm??   ::)
Charles

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 07:09:33 PM »
Scax

I hear you on shill bidding. The auction does not have a "buy now" feature and I was trying to seal the deal earlier this week. For a guy who spent a career negotiating contracts, I was stupid to have shared the cf info with him.

Seller posted rarity notice of cf grips following my disclosure and it probably cost me over $200

I stand by my bid and will not go a penny higher. If there is a shill bidder out there, let him have the gun.

Thank you for the warning. I have got to get away from these auctions. Were it not for cf grips and immediacy of the gun, I would not be bidding.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 07:13:54 PM »
One more thing about your previous post: I still think Corey's faux ivory, hard chromed, machined grip R9 is the best looking ever. Said it before and I will say it again.

Guns do not have to be pretty to work but it sure gives pleasure to the owner, no?

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 07:22:59 PM »
Someone could get ahold of those brass IDM grips and have the rest of the gun titanium nitride plated.  Now THAT would be a unique R9.  Enough bling that you'd need to wear sunglasses.   :)

I do agree that ivory grip gun is perty, and I'm not into ivory!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:24:07 PM by sdlsaginaw »

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 08:47:39 PM »
Don't know what titanium plating would look like but I sure would like a titanium frame.

I don't usually like what is referred to as bling but the one tone ivory grip R9S is beautiful.

I just put olive aluminum grips on my Stealth and the transition is understated and I really like it.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 01:58:26 AM »
 My last bid on that gun on gun broker was $1175, that was all I was willing to go.
 Good Luck
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 08:06:44 AM »
Yankee: Your bid was more sane than mine but I am determined to own it. So far it is holding up with half a day to go.

What I must do is discipline myself to retreat if the bid goes higher than mine. Whether a higher bid would reflect a shill bid or not, it is already at or above its value.