Author Topic: Why is it R9 gets bashed?  (Read 23421 times)

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
Re: Why is it R9 gets bashed?
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
All of a sudden I am not feeling so bad about Rafter S, given the story that Yankee relates.

I think the reason for Rafter S  "black eye" is because of the variance between their quoted vs actual delivery. However, given the incredible deliveries given by the other sources you contacted...hmmm.

Wish I could help out with the holster you are looking for, Yankee, but I am actually recommending Rafter S! This is something I never thought I would do again. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2010, 11:00:14 AM »
when ordering a holster/belt from Rafter, try paying for it or give credit card info only when it ships.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2010, 01:25:42 PM »
That may be the reason they collect the payment up front, they have probably had many people get fed up with waiting and cancel there order. Thats how they get there stock for shows, the canceled orders.  ;D

I just got an e-mail back from HBE LleatherWorks and he wants $229 for a scabbard style holster finished in Shark, Rafters gets $85.50 for there Shark holster. And Ross Leather wants $350 for a Shark pancake holster.  :o  The differance in price from one maker to another is unreal, I understand the need to charge more can be driven by overhead, location, etc.
 How can a maker justify charging four times as much for the same basic holster. I don't think Ross leather is making a holster that is four times as good as Rafter, maybe four times as fast.  ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2010, 01:44:41 PM »

Maybe some one could could up with a novel concept that includes quality, service, and value. Meanwhile, I am happy with the relatively plain Hedley and Alessi holsters; those two gentlemen incorporated all of the above in their products and services.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2010, 05:18:33 PM »
Tracker,
   You are correct there, Where I grew up and lived in NY was about 45min. from Lou's shop. I see they are still making and selling Alessi holsters.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2010, 06:44:49 PM »
The definitive question for a buyer is "why is the price the price?" In aerospace, you always had to write up a unit price justification for government audit review. Sole source was a nightmare because you had to rely on what the vendor tells you.

Fortunately, when a contract exceeded a certain dollar threshold, the government mandated disclosure with which the vendor had to comply with by law.

In my private life, I had a big job on my Chevy pickup truck a little over a year ago. I keep my truck in great condition. The job was a tune-up and other stuff that was driven by mileage considerations.

I went to a GM dealer, (one of the biggest in NE), and he quoted $900.00. I went to the no frills, dirty garage, on the other side of town, and they quoted $300.00. I went to the cheaper place becuase I asked around about their service. I have never looked back and I am a repeat customer.

The GM delaer has to recover the huge expenses of floorplanned vehicles, large payroll, flat screen tv with gourmet coffee waiting room, et al.

Not sure why the price disparity in the holsters but I recommend Yankee does the following:

Contact Rafter S and offer "progress payments". You are a repeat customer after all. Tell them you wish to pay them 1/3 up front, 1/3 midway during quoted delivery and balance when shipped (with tracking number). The worst they can do is say "no" and be prepared to walk away if they do so.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2010, 07:07:57 PM »
I have lightly experienced some of those down here flying a twin Comanche...

and as far as sayings..."there are those who have ground looped and those that will"...

Speaking of pilots...wonder what happened to "flyandscube"...haven't seen Bill on here in quite some time

I noticed him checking in the other day.  Didn't seem like he stayed long.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2010, 10:15:53 PM »
The first car I bought was a 968, coral w. tan interior.  The "silly" ergonomics were very bad -- difficult to drive and adjust the AC, difficult to fiddle w. the radio -- no cup holders as I recall - and I loved every minute of it...  I need to buy another one, maybe...  She handled like a dream, and had this odd, gutteral exhaust note that my brother would hear several miles out when I was heading to the ranch -- part of that was that I was usually "moving" down a very small, hardly traveled ranch road for the 22 miles from town to the ranch.  
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2010, 10:33:47 PM »

I had forgotten about the 968; definitely don't see any of those on the roads. Porsches are sort of like Rohrbaughs; the models are always moving on to others.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2010, 10:42:28 PM »
I do like a Porche.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln