Author Topic: New to me R9S  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Kalifornia_Kid

New to me R9S
« on: February 15, 2010, 08:05:30 PM »
New to the forum.  .  As a refugee from Kalifornia now living in Georgia, getting CFL was a liberating.  I have carried a LWS32 for three years.  Feeling a slight caliber inferiority complex and wanting to consolidate calibers, I began my quest for a new CCW.  I visited my old J frame, looked at a LWS380, LCP, and the list went on.   Then I discovered the R9.  WOW.  I went into a local shop that is a licensed Rohrbaugh dealer to place an order and watch the calendar.   Just so happened that the shop had previously owned R9s.  Not sure how old it is, everything looks and feels in good shape.  Its serial number appears to be low, R76X.  Cannot wait to go to the range.  I have some gold dot 124GR and should be able to get out soon.  This thing feels good.  

After taking my new baby home, I stripped and cleaned.  Inspecting one of the mags I found a slight fracture/crack near left lip. (not in the weld in the back of the mag).  I will be reaching out to purchase a new mags and springs from the factory.

Has any one else out there had an issue with fractures in the mag.  In my 45acp, I have had a few mags get cracks after a few years and being dropped in competition.  

Thanks for your insight.   I LOVE THIS GUN.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: New to me R9S
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:32:25 PM »
Kalifornia_Kid.  Welcome to the Forum.  Congratulations on getting the R9.  Have not had a problem with either of my mags.  Again, welcome and enjoy the R9.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:33:30 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:34:21 PM »
If it is an R7XX, I would recommend new slide springs and new mag springs as well. Not sure about the grip screws, but I would probably replace those as well. Maybe consider getting the Hogue Extreme grips too. All of these items can be easily ordered through Rohrbaugh.
On another note, did it come with carbon grips? Congrats!!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:37:41 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline Kalifornia_Kid

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:39:02 PM »
How can I tell?  Looking at the grips, it almost looks like little diamond holograms.  They are smooth and etched with the company logo.  

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 08:39:40 PM »
Check out the website for pictures of the newer Hogue grips.  Sounds like you got carbon fiber grips. Does it look like these?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=157731975
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:42:06 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:43:51 PM »
How can I tell?  Looking at the grips, it almost looks like little diamond holograms.  They are smooth and etched with the company logo.  

Sounds like carbon fiber to me.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kalifornia_Kid

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 08:49:23 PM »

Yes.  They are the carbon fiber grips.  You mentioned the Hogue grips.  Why would I consider a change?

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 09:15:16 PM »
If you had the regular Hogue grips (like the newer models), the optional Hogue Extreme grips are easier to handle IMO...

Now that I know you have the highly desirable carbon fiber (no longer made) grips, do what you want   ;D  Some people are afraid to damage them so they take them off and replace with Hogue Extreme grips. The carbon fiber grips alone sell for around 200-300 resale. You are very lucky to have found your R9s with CF grips. Enjoy!!!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 09:17:40 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Kalifornia_Kid, welcome to the group.
   I would only consider replacing the grips if they were the
G-10s the new guns come with, I have black CFs on my pup.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kalifornia_Kid

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 09:18:29 PM »
Thanks for the information.   :o ;D  

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 09:30:17 PM »
Kalifornia_Kid, check the classified section VI-Shooter has two new mags for $50 Shipped.

John

"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 10:41:14 AM »
Kid:

Welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on scoring that early R9 with CF grips! You've got a winner there.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 03:14:26 PM »
Kid, a big welcome from Texas as well. Sounds like you got a great deal. Have a good range day, take it slow and easy as you enjoy shooting it. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 03:48:53 PM »
Yes.  They are the carbon fiber grips.  You mentioned the Hogue grips.  Why would I consider a change?

Kid.  Now this is just me:  I'd definitely keep the carbon fiber grips on.  You have what most folks want and try to find.  Just my thoughts, of course.