Author Topic: R9 Custom Grip options  (Read 25253 times)

ccoorreeyy

Re: R9 Custom Grip options
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2010, 11:11:58 PM »
John, any luck yet?  

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2010, 12:36:34 AM »
   I am going tomorrow to pick up some more takedown tools, and will see were we are on the mag extension order, and see what progress has been made on the grips.  I wish I possessed the equipment and ability to make them, because having to rely on others sucks. It's very frustrating to me, being a small order customer, and having to wait for an opening to run the parts.
  I'll post my findings tomorrow, weather encouraging or disappointing.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2010, 08:37:46 AM »
Thanks John.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2010, 02:31:13 PM »
We had to reschedule our meeting for today until next week, I picked up the tools but couldn't talk with the machinist today.
  I will post next week after I have spoken with him.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2010, 03:25:59 PM »
Wasn't the guy who originated the statement "patience is a virtue" a machinist?
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2010, 03:56:21 PM »
That is one reason I am not a machinist or a mechanic.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 05:25:32 PM by tracker »

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2010, 04:52:38 PM »
project managers are worse....

if its any consulation...we can now cut grips here from just about anything but glass....Prototyping / precision bed CNC router now up and running ;) I have been away from the shop off and on for the past three weeks due to a multitude of reasons but my cohort says it does amazing things...

DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2010, 05:57:02 PM »
I reported to a lot of project managers and they varied, in my experience. They could make or break your day and, over time, they did just that.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2010, 10:44:21 AM »
Might this gentleman represent that proverbial "one exception which proves the rule" with regard to project managers?  

http://www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/kelly1.htm

8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2010, 11:20:58 AM »
For those wanting damascus steel for the grips, you might take a look at Alabama Damascus Steel.  He offers different patterns, thickness, and widths.  The average price for a piece that would be large enough is $160.  You should be able to get at least two sets out of a slab.  In addition, they'll make a custom size for you.  Their website is www.alabamadamascussteel.com.  Brad Vice is a great person to deal with.

With respect to the choice of wood - our testing, and ultimate success with making the grips, showed that all woods are not going to work.  There were other steps/processes we did in the making of the grips that ensured our success.

RichardS - if you're still looking for ivory, let me know.  I have a source who most likely has elephant ivory in large enough pieces to facilitate grips.  
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2010, 11:24:25 AM »
Richard:

You the man! I supported Lockheed endeavors, in my aerospace career, and your guy's legacy is (rightfully) #1.

If "legend" is to have any meaning, Kelly Johnson is that man.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #116 on: July 01, 2010, 12:03:10 PM »
Kevin:

PM sent.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"