Author Topic: R9 Custom Grip options  (Read 25103 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: R9 Custom Grip options
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »

Richard,
   I don't see why not, if you have or can get the pre-ban Ivory. I would need to double check with my guy, but see no reason it can't be done.

John

John:

That sounds like a plan. After you check with your friend, if he would be willing to take on the project but can't locate or obtain some pre-ban ivory, let me know and I'll see what I can find, making sure that all of the legalities are observed.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 05:58:26 PM »

Somehow, I have the feeling that the ivory has already been located. General Patton would approve.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 10:11:08 AM »
Tracker:

We had a larger than life oil portrait of "THE General" in our O Club when I was CMJ 4AD. The size of the portrait seemed altogether fitting and proper, for most of us considered him to have been truly larger than life.

As for his views on handgun grips, there is a paragraph about half-way down the page at the following link which is best read there than here:  ;)

http://www.pattonhq.com/unknown/chap05.html
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 12:24:44 PM »

Thanks, great stuff.

Offline park245

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 03:46:11 PM »
Put me down for checkered custom rosewood grips to match my Sig 226 Elite!

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 09:01:37 AM »
Checkered rosewood, olivewood or uncheckered snakewood.

Snakewood has a distinct pattern, is used on custom knives and checkering would spoil the grain.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ucitykid

• When all else fails, be rational!
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 09:54:24 AM »
Checkered bloodwood, OR madagascar ebony, OR ironwood, OR amboyna, OR purpleheart. (NOT IVORY)

I'm in once you know what can be made.

Thanks, Carlos
Carlos

Offline xpistosk

• "The wise man is he who admits he knows nothing"
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 12:04:28 PM »
+1 for checkered wood grips :D
"The wise man is he who admits he knows nothing"

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 04:51:48 PM »
Wood seems to be a consensus, despite variation. However, as great as wood grips would look, I would be concerned about the ability of wood to withstand shock, without breakage, when firing the R9.

The unusual configuration of the grip is particularly vulnerable in the narrow portion of the forward screw.

John: Is this a concern you have addressed?
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 05:18:43 PM »
That can certainly happen with high pressures. I was firing one of my last reloads ever on a BHP and a hot load blew the left grip off in my hand. I'm not saying it is the same with the R9 but wood grips can come apart on you under certain conditions. Fortunately, nothing was injured but my pride.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:50:06 PM by tracker »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 09:35:32 PM »
Wood seems to be a consensus, despite variation. However, as great as wood grips would look, I would be concerned about the ability of wood to withstand shock, without breakage, when firing the R9.

The unusual configuration of the grip is particularly vulnerable in the narrow portion of the forward screw.

John: Is this a concern you have addressed?

Nothing has been addressed yet, and yes it is a concern. A forum member who has done a little tinkering with wood grips, told me the stock screws with there wedge shape will split the grips just installing them. We may discover wood is not an option.
  Micarta makes for some very nice looking grips and there are several color options in G-10.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 09:36:49 PM »
tracker,
Do you mean, by "BHP" a Browning Hi-Power? If so, this is significant. The grips on this pistol do not have nearly the vulnerability as do the grips on an R9.

I look forward to John's response. Both my R9s have carbon fiber grips which are ideal, given their tensile strength. However, exotic wood would look great, providing they could withstand useage.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 09:39:07 PM »
Sorry John. I didn't read your post above before I responded to tracker's post.

Wood grips are great but we may just have to dispense with them if I understand your post correctly.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »

Yes, Browning High Power it is; fortunately, I had an extra grip or found one. I was in a CHL or CCW course at the time and the instructor came uncorked. I had to do some fast talking to complete the course, explaining that I had a Gold Cup and .45 factory ammo in my car to complete the range session.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 09:39:42 AM »
tracker,

You state that you were "firing one of my last reloads" when referencing the incident with your Hi Power. Is this the incident that dissuaded you from wanting to reload?

I seem to recall a string some months ago in which I am connecting the dots.