Author Topic: R9 Custom Grip options  (Read 25257 times)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: R9 Custom Grip options
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 10:57:42 AM »
Sorry John. I didn't read your post above before I responded to tracker's post.

Wood grips are great but we may just have to dispense with them if I understand your post correctly.

I have not ruled them out but there will have to be some testing done before I would be comfortable selling them. I will be talking with the machinist in the next day or two and see what his thoughts are.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 12:11:17 PM »

ACP,
I was only referring to being rid of reloaded ammo that I had purchased and never using it again unless I know the reloader quite well. I have never reloaded my own ammo. When I went to the CHL class I was in a rush to leave for a 30 mile drive and inadvertently picked up some reloaded .9mm for the firing portion of the class.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 01:22:22 PM »
I don't change grips, but if Ivory could be done, would be interested.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 01:24:12 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 09:30:25 PM »
John: Thanks for the response regarding wood grips. That is the only type of grip for which I would forego CF.

I applaud your offering alternative grip materials for those suffering from factory G10. I have been very vocal about this substance on other strings; albeit some time ago.

This is one area in which I part company with the factory. We were told CF was unavailable or too expensive and then advised, by a forum member, that this was not so.

Who to believe? I only know that CF is a huge positive for the R9 and I am not abandoning my dislike for G10 anytime soon.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 10:15:36 PM »
We are going to see what we can come up with on using wood, and give it our best shot.
  I agree with you 100% on the G-10 grips, to me it cheapens the look of a wonderfully made gun. Carbon Fiber is expensive to machine, requiring the use of diamond cutters because it is extremely abrasive, and will wear out carbide cutters very fast. I was told the cutter used to put the radius on the edge of the grips would be about $400. The dust created by the machining process is very harmful and precautions must be taken to not breath it.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 08:28:06 AM »
When I bought my first (Farmingdale) R9, in 2005, my FFL in NJ stated, prophetically, "the carbon fiber grips make the gun".

From what John states, CF is not benign, nor is it easy to work with. I accept that and am all the more grateful that my (2) R9s are both CF gripped.

Looking forward to the jury verdict on useage of exotic wood for R9 grips.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 01:06:41 PM »
Don't know the "progress" as to what this shop is offering but if its any consulation, we can make just about any grip style one would want out of just about any material except certain metals. Wood and composites are preferred and we can perform checkering and engraving as well. We have a CNC router and a laser.

We like to stay away from these certain metals right now as we have not integrated the laser head with a "inert gas" flooding system yet. Certain metals require different shielding gases as some of you might already know. Without these gases and certain other precautions, one could get reflection back through lenses and mirrors which burns holes right through them and in our case, thats a 3000 dollar mistake! :o

Again,

All wood
All plastics
Carbon fiber
Cast resins
etc

all OK
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 02:28:50 PM »
Enigma:

Ivory?  

(I've got some Bar-B-Ques to attend.   8))
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:31:56 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 06:02:26 PM »
Shouldn't be a problem IF you have the ivory.... ;D

You guys in the box thread about ready for me to call to discuss your boxes?
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 06:33:03 PM »
Shouldn't be a problem IF you have the ivory.... ;D

You guys in the box thread about ready for me to call to discuss your boxes?

I'll start looking around for some pre-ban ivory.

Re the box, send me a PM when you're ready to move forward on the project. Meanwhile, I'm taking every appellate case thrown my way and working nights on briefs to regain my balance after April 15.   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 06:51:54 PM »
I know that April 15th feeling!    >:(
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2010, 07:16:57 PM »

The more you make the more you pay; it's the obama way. Next year could hurt more.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2010, 07:40:31 PM »
I'm cringing already at the thoughts.

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2010, 08:00:49 PM »
I'd like someone to duplicate the IDM aluminum grips with the flat hex screws.  I had hoped IDM would start making them again, or someone would want to sell theirs to me, but neither has occured yet.

I'm not sure wood is going to work, another forum member was working on these earlier and they fell through.  The wood required special processing, and the grips had to be slightly thicker than stock to survive.  I believe only one forum member has a set of these wood grips.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2010, 09:41:40 PM »
Presumption Richard S is an attorney. I hear you on the obama concern. Don't want to say something too strong, but in my view obama is givng Carter a run for his money as the worst president ever.

He is mandated to protect and defend American citizens and he is having his AG look into the Arizona law against ILLEGAL immigrants? What are we coming to??