Author Topic: R9 Custom Grip options  (Read 25300 times)

ccoorreeyy

Re: R9 Custom Grip options
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2010, 10:07:38 PM »
I'd like someone to duplicate the IDM aluminum grips with the flat hex screws.  

Those were / are great grips!  Thinner than stock and work really really good.  If copied I would buy a set.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2010, 11:35:13 PM »
The blueprint of the grips is being made now so the CNC machine can be programmed, as soon as that is completed we will start making some grips. I'm sure the thin Aluminum grips can be duplicated.
  Stay tuned.

John
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:35:54 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2010, 10:15:12 AM »
Just for the record, being a certified "grip junkie," I will be planning to order sets of grips from both John and "Enigma" once they get their CNC operations up and running.  8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2010, 10:54:53 AM »
Love those Ivories, I do!    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Junior

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2010, 02:58:54 PM »
Thanks John and "Enigma" for your work on this.
I also like the idea of wood. Hope you can get it worked out. Maybe wood laminated over a G10 base would be a possibility?
I would also be in for some green/black or tan/black G10 with checkering or texture.
I like the looks of the G10 grips by Deryk Munroe and VZ Grips:
http://www.munroedesign.com/nowavailable/gizmo_tgrips.htm
http://www.vzgrips.com/index.php/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=2

Another cool material I’ve seen on knives is Fibermascus. I haven’t contacted him to make sure his ‘in stock’ page is current.
http://www.fibermascus.com/

I like the rag, burlap, and especially the denim Fibermascus shown here:
http://www.fibermascus.com/denim.html

Knifemaker Jens Anso has some good pictures of Fibermascus and other handle materials on his gallery here:
http://www.ansoknives.com/availablegallery.htm

It costs more than G10 but may be another possibility for grip material.
I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2010, 06:59:20 PM »
Junior,
   Good links and some great pics, one problem with some of the knife handle material they sell is it's not wide enough to make grips for the pup. Many are only 1 1/2" wide, plenty for a knife handle but well short of what's needed for the pups grips.
  There are some very interesting materials available, that have some neat patterns and properties to them. We are going to see about making some mag extensions that match the grips, if it's a material that will permit it.

John
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 10:55:37 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2010, 08:59:35 PM »
I like the idea of mag extensions made of the grip material providing they are demure and proportionate to the R9.

I gave away my IDM mag extensions, with the sale of a two tone R9, because I found the IDM's were disproportionate to the R9 and, (for me), provided no shooting enhancement.

Whatever direction John takes in this matter, I believe this string is both relevant and a good "voice of the customer". Speak now or forever hold your piece.

Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Junior

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2010, 11:39:17 AM »
Thanks John
What size stock would you need to make a pair of grips? (LxWxH)
I’m heading to the ‘Blade’ show in Atlanta next month and they usually have larger sheets of materials there.

Great idea making the extensions match the grips. I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Thanks again for your work on this.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2010, 01:33:54 PM »
Junior:
Good luck at the Blade Show. I am an Honorary Member of the Knifemaker's Guild. I had a lot of fun with knives some years ago which I found a good alternative, as a collector, due to the horrible gun laws of my native state.

Happily, I moved to a pro gun state and enjoy CCW in my adoptive state and 16 others.

Favorite scale material: fossil ivory.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
the Re: R9 Custom Grip options
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2010, 02:00:03 PM »
As usual, I have little of interest to provide; but I would like to express appreciation and thanks to DDGator, R9Scarry, theirishguard, yankee2500, tracker, kjtrains, ACP,P7Enigma, Richard S, birdman, ccoorreeyy and all the others who contribute constantly and informatively to this forum.
The help and information provided here is invaluable, and by far the best source for technical data, expert no BS opinions (well, usually) and occasionally some good humor.
Thank you all, sincerely.

PS: ccoorreeyy: the problem with the doubled letters in computer screen input/ouput is often caused by incorrect UNIX-related stty 'echo keyboard character' settings in your terminal emulation setup. This likely could be corrected if needed.
 ;)

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
Re: the R9 Custom Grip options
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2010, 03:21:48 PM »
As usual, I have little of interest to provide; but I would like to express appreciation and thanks to DDGator, R9Scarry, theirishguard, yankee2500, tracker, kjtrains, ACP,P7Enigma, Richard S, birdman, ccoorreeyy and all the others who contribute constantly and informatively to this forum.

Thanks for the inclusion in such an elite group but I think the others in your "list" are more qualified and have a much longer standing in this forum...I'm more of the court jester. If you have read my posts on "other" forums, you might change your opinion! ;D

As to another post: If wood grips are desired, we may use "imbedded" aluminum or titanium epoxied on the inside of the grip for strength. We did this on another type pistol with good results. Most concerns regarding wood are the potential for "sweat" intrusion. We were dabbling with different finishes to alleviate this but I guess we would need to get a few sets out there in the field for a so called "beta test". We took one set of grips once and dipped them into a special mixture of cyanoacrylate then buffed them out. They retained the nice wood look with a finish comparison close to a laquer based application, however, they were almost impervious to outside contaminates, stains and oils.

rei...
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2010, 03:24:56 PM »
PS: ccoorreeyy: the problem with the doubled letters in computer screen input/ouput is often caused by incorrect UNIX-related stty 'echo keyboard character' settings in your terminal emulation setup. This likely could be corrected if needed.
 ;)

It was just some of the crazyness coming out of my mind when I first joined the forum.  The name I wanted was already used so I just doubled it.  lol   ;D  If it were some of that other stuff you mentioned i'm sure I would never figure it out.  Thanks anyway!  

And thanks for putting me in that group of people too!!!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 03:25:40 PM by ccoorreeyy »

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2010, 03:26:36 PM »

I guess we would need to get a few sets out there in the field for a so called "beta test".

Sign me up for a sweaty pocket beta tester!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2010, 03:43:17 PM »
Thanks, whkrog, for the inclusion as well.  Continue to post and do it often.  Again, thanks!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2010, 05:18:42 PM »
Thank you, "whkrog," for including me in such august company. This Forum seems to attract a distinctly civil group of members.

John and "Enigma," I also would like to know what dimensions of material you calculate you will need for your CNC programs to produce the R9 grips. I'm hot on the trail of some 1/4" pre-ban ivory slabs and some chunks of fossilized mammoth tusk, each about 5" in diameter. I'm also looking at some fossilized mammoth bone (vertebra) which could be interesting.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"