Author Topic: Front Pocket/Rear Pocket  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Packard

Front Pocket/Rear Pocket
« on: September 22, 2010, 11:11:44 AM »
I always carried my Beretta 25 in the rear pocket.  My thinking was if someone were to surprise me and demand my wallet I could feign getting the wallet and produce the pistol instead.

Do you carry in the front pocket or rear?  And why?  And what holster?  And how good is that holster? (Holster links are nice too.)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Front Pocket/Rear Pocket
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 06:06:12 PM »
I carry in the front pocket because it is closer than the rear and I don't like to sit down on anything hard other than a very small, soft wallet. The two holsters I use were made by R.J. Hedley and Lou Alessi; two fine and talented gentlemen who are, sadly, no longer with us. Some here have bought a cross draw holster for vehicular use. One very nice one is made by Robert Meco in San Antonio and it makes a lot of sense when traveling.
He also makes excellent pocket holsters or anything else you may like.

mecopocketholsters.com/ -
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 07:15:01 PM by tracker »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 07:56:16 PM »
I can do no better than to echo Tracker's post. I also am fortunate in having holsters by both R. J. Hedley and Lou Alessi for my pocket pistols, and I endorse his recommendation of Robert Meco's work.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:10:56 PM »
I carry in the right front pocket.  I do use a Meco back pocket holster as stated in another thread, however, use it in the front pocket.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:32:15 PM »
I am 2 gun believer.   I usually have a 1911 on my right hip and the R9 in my left front pocket.  That way, any hand will work.  The maker of the holster is; when wearing shorts with big pockets I need 2 stabilizer wings so it is a left hand Hedley, until I can get Robert at Meco to make another - I don't fancy rivets, I prefer stitching.

When I am wearing pants with smaller pockts, I pack the R9 in my left hand Meco  Armigator.

If I'm not packing a 1911, then it's two 9mm's one in each pocket.  One R9, one P11- until I can get another R9.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 10:46:04 PM »
All just personal preference.

It is more natural for me to draw out of my back pocket, so that's where I usually carry.  Yet a good friend totally poo-poohs back pocket carry, saying front pocket is the only way to carry.

I do get to try out different holsters on a regular basis, so my "normal" is this:  If I'm going to be primarily standing/walking, always back pocket.  If I will be doing lots of driving or sitting, I may switch to front pocket.

As a holster test, I have spent many hours sitting on a Ruger LCP equipped with a Crimson Trace laser in my back pocket, just to see if the laser will get knocked out of alignment.  So far, the laser is just as accurate as the day I sighted it in.

I have no problem sitting on the (properly holstered) R9, as my rear is far squishier than the gun.

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 07:20:54 PM »
I like front pocket. If a situation is suspicious, I can stand there with my hand in my pocket with a firing grip on the pistol and nobody is the wiser.

Rick

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 09:24:11 PM »

Another suggested tactic is to raise your weak hand to distract the attacker's eyes as the strong one goes for the gun; that is just basic stuff.

Offline nase

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 12:36:07 AM »
Just depends on the pants and the mood. I've got both a Hidden Holsters and a Recluse holster for the front pocket, and a Meco for the rear. I like all of them, and they all ride different in different pairs of slacks. Variety is the spice of life. I've also got an ankle holster, but I don't use it as often.

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 07:01:36 AM »
Here is a solution that may work for you, it has for me and a few others.
As stated above, it depends on what pants you are planning on wearing because the correct pocket is a must, especially for a pistol the size of the R9.

A pretty looking holster is just that, pretty, it must however function. You would like for a good holster to do a multiple of tasks, looking pretty is icing on the cake.
 You want to be able to draw from it, while the holster remains in the pocket. You want the holster to keep the pocket pistol orientated so you can grab the grip quick if need arises.
You would like for it to break up the outline of the pistol.

Buy a rear pocket holster, try it in your back pocket, then try it in your front pocket, or feel free to switch it around.
That's the versatility of the rear pocket holster.

I use a front pocket holster designed and hand made by RJ Hedley
for my R9.Sadly RJ had passed before I purchased a rear pocket holster from him for the R9.

Robert of MECO Pocket holsters was taught by RJ Hedley, but Robert improved upon the designs and made a few of his own. RJ certainly would be proud of Roberts designs and accomplishments.

For my Seecamps, I have a Hedley front pocket holster, but now I have several MECO front and rear pocket holsters. I do on occasion use the rear pocket holster in my front pocket, it works great.The flap on the holster helps break-up the pattern of the pistol.

Here is a MECO rear pocket holster with a Seecamp in it.

There have been some great responses to your question up above and I do agree with them. I do often carry two pistols, one is always pocket carry.
I prefer front pocket because I can keep my hand on the grip of the pistol if I need to without looking to conspicuous.