Author Topic: R9 family photos  (Read 32240 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: R9 family photos
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2010, 08:36:06 PM »
I know!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2010, 12:35:29 PM »
I would get better if I could used to be older.

....and fatter, and balder! ;D
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2010, 12:42:52 PM »
Everybody had their own additions and deletes!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2010, 05:28:12 PM »
Just came across this string and thought I would interject a fat-free response. Vickers is nice. Worst decision ever made by US military was swapping .45ACP 1911 for that beretta junk.

My carry gun is a Robar R9 and I have to admit that the G-10 grips, with checkering, look good in the photograph. I have been very critical of the factory for switching carbon fiber for G10 but they look nice.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2010, 05:36:31 PM »
Ahh, Beretta.  Been looking at a Beretta 21 Bobcat, .22 in stainless, yet unpurchased.  Sounds like you don't like the Beretta brand.  Looking for reasons for or against.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2010, 07:51:47 PM »
I don't like berettas on two (2) counts. First, because the model 92 replaced the 1911 .45ACP. Second, I hate open slides.

The first thing that caught my eye when I first saw a photograph of the R9 was the conventional dedicated slide; unlike the NAA Guardian and the other .32. I can't remember the name of the older .32 but they were expensive and difficult to acquire.

That is my position and it is a matter of personal taste. However, I don't see you with a .22. I think of you as a "power guy". Big bore revolvers, .357 Sig, etc. You already have the R9 which is a mouse gun with a potent cartridge. What do you need the .22 beretta for?

I saved you money months ago when you wanted a 10mm Glock. I'm here to help.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2010, 08:03:13 PM »

Other than aesthetics what is it about the open slide design that you dislike? It is partially responsible for the Beretta being one of the most reliable hand guns made.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2010, 08:30:57 PM »
Aesthetics are a big factor in my dislike of the beretta and any other gun with an open slide. However, I burnt myself badly when I gripped the barrel of an open slide gun many years ago. That was when I was a puppy/novice shooter and the memory stuck.

Beretta legacy is conspicuous. They have been around a long time. Still don't like their replacement of the .45 1911 but no argument as to their being well made.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2010, 08:44:53 PM »
You are right about the "power guy" part.  Love anything that has lots of power; that being said, just like a .22.  I have several revolvers in the .22 and a small automatic.  Saw the Beretta and started asking questions.

Yep!  Talked me right out of that 10mm.    

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2010, 09:09:43 PM »

Burned fingers will do it every time. Now, I understand.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2010, 09:50:47 PM »
Glad to be of help, kjtrains.

Tracker: I was young and foolish and I was shooting at an old dilapidated indoor gun range where I grew up in NJ. The gun was a Beretta .380 and I did not understand that the gun, which had many rounds fired through it was very hot.

It was before I even owned a gun and an older guy let me fire his Beretta. When he handed the gun to me I held the gun downrange and kept my finger off the trigger. However, with my left hand I placed my  hand on the exposed barrel as it was handed to me that was when I got the burn.

I was young and ignorant that a gun that has a lot of rounds through it is very hot. The burn hurt like heck and ultimately was treated for 2nd degree burns on the web of my left hand.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2010, 10:12:12 PM »

Thanks for sharing that painful, unforgettable experience. Regarding the selection of the Beretta as the service weapon, there is no doubt that magazine capacity, among other things, was an important factor in the decision. Perhaps, some of our esteemed Army and Marine veterans could add a lot more to this discussion.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2010, 09:58:31 AM »
I am a US Army Veteran, pre-1985, when the 1911 was standard issue. I was Department of the Army with an MP affiliation.

However, it was not until years after I served that I came to love the 1911. Military issue 1911s were "flimsy" and not that accurate. However, when the 1911 platform craze caught on and highly accurate (and expensive) models became available, I became a true believer.

As to "hi-cap" guns, that sometimes disserves the shooter. Witness the infamous shooting in New York City (41 shots) at an unarmed man who did not heed the cops warnings.

In a perfect world, hi-cap guns are good because you have more rounds, even though it takes 2 or 3 9mm shots to one .45 with good shot placement. However, in practice, hi-cap guns often lead to many more rounds shot than necessary.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2010, 11:01:09 AM »

Whatever the case, the decision to change to the Beretta is now ancient history and it probably wouldn't serve any practical purpose to resurrect the debate.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2010, 01:15:37 PM »
What's wrong with being impractical? I was just coming around to the fact that the R45 might become real.