Author Topic: To carry or not to carry, that is the question.  (Read 8163 times)

Offline Anti

To carry or not to carry, that is the question.
« on: September 26, 2016, 08:41:16 PM »
Hello!
I'm proud to say that I'm officially a member of the family after I recently acquired a very lightly used Rohrbaugh r9 Stealth. Whoever had this firearm before me took very good care of it and judging by the minimal wear on the rails and rifling I feel safe in assuming it's been fired less than 50 times. After many many hours of researching the ins and outs of what it takes to operate and maintain these little works of art I disassembled the pistol completely, inspected and cleaned every component, and oiled her inside and out. I've wanted one of these beauties ever since I first saw one online and after familiarizing myself with the internals and taking it to the range  (where it flawlessly ate through 28 rounds of 124grain gold dot) I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase. Over the course of researching these guns it's become apparent that they are pretty much unanimously loved by those who own them and highly desired by many who don't. I bought this gun with the intention of using it as my primary CCW but now that I know i have a gem and that many many people want one themselves I'm hesitant to stick it in my pocket. I have a feeling these guns will be quite valuable someday due to their impecable quality and relatively few numbers. I have a Sig p938 that rides in my pocket just fine (admittedly not as well as the r9) so it's not like I'd be leaving home unarmed if I choose to make it a safe queen. I guess I'm just looking to find out what others who own one of these guns think. Is it worth it to risk marring the finish or should I just be proud of the fact i own one and continue carrying my sig? Do you believe these firearms will someday be considered highly collectable and become extremely valuable? Thank you all for your thoughts in advance.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
Re: To carry or not to carry, that is the question.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 09:46:18 PM »
Since it's already been fired, it's not new in box, so you should probably carry it proudly.  If it was unfired NIB, you could make the argument you should find another lightly used gun to carry and store the first as a collectible.  It's like a Ferrari with 20000 miles, will it be worth more in the future?  Probably.  Should you store it and never drive it again?  Probably not. 

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 11:16:36 PM »
All the reasons for the choices of materials and close tolerances were made to create a pocket pistol that would deliver the most out of the smallest package. These same choices in the manufacture of the R9 are what drew us to the pistol, I don't let the collector side detract from the value of having the best in my pocket as my primary defense weapon. I regularly clean debris from my daily duties as a welder from the holster (Del Fatti PH3)and pistol..metal shavings, grinding dust pocket lint. And it never ceases to amaze me how the tight tolerances keep the grime out of the internals of this pistol. I really struggle to see the collector view when it comes to weather or not to own a pistol that cant get honest wear, don't get me wrong I understand collectables, but if you bought a R9 because you longed for a 9mm pocket pistol that does what no other 9mm can do, and you are only going to buy one...then carry it with confidence and love the wear.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 08:11:22 AM »
Carry it.  Buy a nib one to put in the safe. Nothing rides finer in my pocket.

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 08:50:14 AM »
I bought mine for that specific reason. It will still have collector value even if you do carry it. Just hold onto everything that came with it.

Offline Rich3006

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 06:18:30 AM »
Carry it. 

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 07:10:18 AM »
  I see a lot of good advice here.Carry it.I would add that a lot of "inadvertent" "accidental"discharges occur loading and unloading a firearm,so keeping it in the holster minimizes this and keeps the exterior wear down.
   I have yet to find a firearm that carries like my Rohrbaugh.

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 09:11:10 AM »
Accidental discharge comes stupid people putting their finger on the trigger when pulling out the weapon. Practice pulling the weapon a few hundred times with it unloaded and your reflexes will keep you from putting your digit on the trigger when it isnt warranted.

Offline Anti

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 05:08:42 PM »
Thank you all for your replies! You've talked me into carrying it (which is what I was kind of hoping for)!

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 06:40:05 PM »
  To offrdmania,
  "inadvertent"and "accidental" were in parenthesis for that reason.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 08:31:47 PM »
Should you die tomorrow of a stroke with the best pocket pistol made sitting in your gunsafe, what a waste that would have been.  Should you have died tomorrow because you needed the R9 but carried a lesser weapon, that would be tragedy.  Carry it!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 12:00:41 AM »
Welcome Anti.
I carry my pup(perfect undercover pistol) daily,  except for situations when I expect to get sweaty, muddy, wet, etc., or if I am able to dress for full size gun concealment. In those situations, I pull something else out of the stable.  That way, I am able to keep my treasured Rohrbaugh as pristine as possible. 
I recommend keeping that old Sig around for backup duty.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline Anti

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 03:20:14 PM »
When all of you carry do you load 6 in the magazine plus one in the chamber? That's, of course, how I would prefer to carry and it's how I carry all my other single stack 9mm pistols. I only ask because I saw a thread either here or on another forum in which the author said it's smart to carry with 5 in mag plus one in the chamber because the magazine is so small that when the spring is fully compressed it pushes on the slide hard enough to slow down its velocity when cycling which can cause a jam as the new round "nose dives" into the feed ramp. Have any of you experienced this when loaded 6+1? I haven't had the problem yet myself but I've only put 28 rounds through my r9. Thanks again for all the advice.

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 04:27:36 PM »
6+1
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 04:59:42 PM »
Never had that problem.  6 + 1.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis