Author Topic: Any other fellow pilots on this site?  (Read 9181 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Any other fellow pilots on this site?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »
I did some rock climbing before losing the first joint of my right ring finger in a bit of "unpleasantness" back in the 1970's - an incident that I actually "won on points" based on a scale of permanent damage inflicted. Nonetheless, the loss of that piece of finger took an edge off of my ability to hang onto a vertical rock-face. Before that, however, I had El Capitan on my "bucket list":

http://www.supertopo.com/climbingareas/bigwalls.html

And that narrative relates to a question in one of your earlier posts in this thread - why I gave up flying. I did so after finally realizing that I would never be more than an adequate pilot but never a superb pilot. I simply didn't have what I call "the X-factor" when it came to flying skill. In my mind life is too short to expend time and resources on activities in which I cannot excell. I therefore gave up recreational flying and devoted my spare time to such things as sailing, SCUBA diving, sports car rallies, shooting sports, and riding my 17-hand hunter-jumper thoroughbred. (Speaking of the last of those, if you really want something exciting between your legs try riding a 17-hand thoroughbred at full gallop cross country with a four-board fence looming up 100 yards ahead.)  8)

[Edited typos.]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 06:57:54 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 01:56:21 PM »
I may be looking for a different mountain. LOL.

Adventure Bikes.  I

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003163

This trip got a little extreme, but there are all levels of rides you can do.  There is a trail/road system all the way across the US now. 

Read some of the trip reports.  It's still real exciting, but most of the injuries are limited to broken appendages not death. You can ride ALL day on $20 worth of gas and see some amazing back country. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:02:23 PM by bobsmith »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »

Now, riding horses and flying airplanes is an interesting comparison. At age 12 in deep East Texas I was riding my grandfather's favorite horse named Buckshot. Buckshot was a quarter horse from the King Ranch and a very proud animal. While riding Buckshot he decided he had enough of me and stopped suddenly, throwing me unceremoniously over his bowed head onto the hard dirt. I hit firmly on both buttocks and that was my final horse ride. That rude exercise would have been roughly equivalent to a bolter in carrier flying. It wasn't until 11 years later that I discovered I had an inclination for flying in Navy flight training. After no bolters in 300 carrier landings Buckshot had done that to me in one ride. Maybe there really is an inverse correlation between airmanship and horsemanship.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 10:19:55 PM »
I will have to check some of the links later. Thanks Bob and Richard for the ideas.

As for Tracker and his inverse relationship between horsemanship and flying...

Lol. I guess I could try riding a horse and if it goes exceptionally well I should definitely give up flying eh?

Keep the ideas coming please.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 10:36:01 PM »

Now, riding horses and flying airplanes is an interesting comparison. At age 12 in deep East Texas I was riding my grandfather's favorite horse named Buckshot. Buckshot was a quarter horse from the King Ranch and a very proud animal. While riding Buckshot he decided he had enough of me and stopped suddenly, throwing me unceremoniously over his bowed head onto the hard dirt. I hit firmly on both buttocks and that was my final horse ride. That rude exercise would have been roughly equivalent to a bolter in carrier flying. It wasn't until 11 years later that I discovered I had an inclination for flying in Navy flight training. After no bolters in 300 carrier landings Buckshot had done that to me in one ride. Maybe there really is an inverse correlation between airmanship and horsemanship.

You didn't bolter in three hundred traps? Is there some kind of triple-centurion patch?

As a layman, familiar only with the terms and broadly with what is involved, that is staggering to me.

-And I'm not easy to impress. I haven't made my living for the past couple of decades working in a bank. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!  ;) )

Is that a record? Is it unusual?

I imagine it as almost inconceivable sir.

Hats off to you, you Scooter-stud you! I spent the past week in Oriskany, NY training, and because I'm a brat the location had me (no shit) thinking of guys like you.

-And here we are. Small world.  8)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 10:49:36 PM »

They don't keep records of such things but that is the truth, 100 of which were at night. Of course, anything as minor as a hook-skip can cause a bolter, so there is a lot of luck involved. One of the reasons that bolters aren't recorded is that it is a safe maneuver and gives one another chance for an engagement. I watched a pilot make 6 bolters and he was running low on fuel so they bingoed him to the beach. The pressure felt by the pilot squares with each succeeding bolter so steady nerves are very helpful.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 11:11:51 PM »
"Luck" is a major part of history. Ask Kublai, or Teddy Roosevelt, et. al.

-And I know, I have a degree in it.

So you really are a stud. That is f***ing awesome.

There are many reasons I feel privileged to spend time on this site. I have always been treated with respect and courtesy here, and frankly, I deserve and demand it.

-And if you've spent your life as a part-time night watchman in a toilet paper factory in Siberia, I will treat you with the respect that every grown man has earned. Always.

But come on!!!! A Skyhawk guy with steady nerves, AND a lucky bone?!?!

It is my honor to be here.

What years did you fly sir? Maybe you kept my Dad alive in Vietnam, etc.

What a great place this forum is.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 08:44:17 PM by Douglas »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 11:21:38 PM »

Good for your Dad and bless him for his service during a most difficult time. I made three 6 month cruises, two to WestPac and one to the Med from 1963-1967 when I decided enough was enough.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 12:06:30 AM »
Okay then, just a bit ahead of him.

Dad was enlisted in '65.

I will always be indebted. -To you all.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 08:41:24 PM by Douglas »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 10:27:29 AM »
Thanks for sharing your proud legacy of your father and his military career, Douglas. I also appreciate your mentioning the Oriskany that, as you know, was named after the town where a Revolutionary War battle was fought in 1777. I didn't know that there is a ship's bell, anchor, and an A-4 on display in the town park.

All of these things serve to remind us of the supreme sacrifices of our men and women in uniform. "If there were no United States Armed Forces there would be no United States of America."

Also, thank you for keeping my daughter and granddaughters safe in NYC. I didn't realize that Oriskany is the training base for New York's finest.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:47:35 PM by tracker »

Offline MaddogR9

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2014, 10:42:19 AM »
IFR, Multi Eng......

Loved flying....as a private pilot only I just didn't do it enough every week/month... Sold my last plane in earlier 2010.  Seneca..... I really enjoyed it..........

My best to all pilots.....Really admire those that served........thank you.

Offline ricardo

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 08:32:59 PM »
Not sure if my reply here is appropriate as I'm not a pilot but had boocoo hours on a C130. Started as a mechanic ended up crew chiefing one in Nam(68-69). We'd fly in-country every other night with supplies or just fly recon all night long. Prior to Nam stationed at Eglin AFB(66-68) with 48th Air Rescue Recovery. Even refueled 2 HH3E(?memory) in flight non stop from NY to Paris in 1967 to commemorate Lindbergh's flight. Good pilots are getting harder to find. R
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 09:08:54 PM »

Your reply is very appropriate and your service is most appreciated. You have seen the full gamut of pilots from mediocre to highly skilled and in many stressful situations; thank you.

bamboobob

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »
Any one check any Flightaware type stuff on net or smart phone.
A pilot I recently met  looked up where overhead jet was going.

A friend is currently disassembling a Grumman trainer in his back yard. (a very small city lot, hiding from city code enforcement using some borrowed bushes to hide part view of it )
No more tight low circling of nuke cooling towers like before 911.
He also has 2 plane kits at home.

VERY COOL    ------     https://flightaware.com/live/
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:31:44 PM by bamboobob »