Author Topic: What gun with what ammo are you the most confident to carry and depend on?  (Read 7333 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Would you carry your R9? Would you carry a Kimber product? How about a Sig Sauer?, or a Colt, or a ???? Your thoughts please, and lets exclude the dissertations about .22/.25/.32's. Thanks.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
My primary carry is my R9 Covert.  In some circumstances I carry my LWS .32.  I rarely carry a Kimber Ultra CDPII when clothing permits...bigger bang and at the range that I would use it penetration would never be an issue (over penetration might, however).
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
I just purchased a LWS .32 after selling my LWS .380. The .380 was a little too wild for me to be comfortable with. What ammo do you use in the .32? Also, are you not confident with the Kimber for some reason?
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline hedrok

• Expert
Primary carry is always an older wheelie...D/A only or capable.
S&W 940...5 shot 9mm on moon clips.  Hydrashok
OR...Ruger Speed Six 9mm w/moon clips.  Hydrashok
OR...S&W LH 624 44 special.  Silvertip HP
Back up on weak side, R-9 w/Gold Dots

Truth be told, walkin' the dog around the neighborhood, a S&W 351 in 22 mag, 7 shot is what comes along.

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
I always carry my r9 for the most part. Before I had my most prized gun I carried a ruger SR9C in a crossbreed holster or my sig 4" 1911 in a galco tuck king holster (copy of the crossbreed but not as nice).

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
I most usually am found with Kimber Solo with golden saber 124 +p

In cooler weather I have carried my G27 with HST

Both ride in a crossbreed IWB and occasionally in a Belly Band.

On Sunday when I am more prone to tuck a shirt in I use a Kahr 380 or Solo in the pocket or ankle holster or belly band. Not really found the best situation. Depends on how tight fat boys pants are.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:48:49 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
I carry about 95% of the time, and about 95% of the carry time is a Kimber Solo loaded with Remington Golden Sabre 124 +P and pocket carried.

When I cannot pocket carry the Solo because of dress, I go to a Kahr P380 with mostly HydraShoks.

I have carried a Sig 229 in 40 or 357 with a coat, but not lately.

I had hopes of a Boberg XR45 either on the belt or IWB but I am still struggling with that pistol at the moment.  I am sure that when Boberg gets it's magazine problems straightened out, it will be a good carry firearm.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Only the Pup in the pocket plus an extra mag in the weak side. When Precision One .380 HP/XTP is available I might think about that as a back-up.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:41:49 PM by tracker »

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
I carry the seecamp 32, and use Speer gold dots. It really gets down to size. My 2nd favorite is a Sig 232 DA/SA, because of size and dependability. Next is a Kimber Ultra in 9mm.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Always the R9.

Sometimes the Colt 1991A1 as primary:

Sometimes the HK P7 as primary:

Often the NAA G-380 as backup:

The fodder for all is either Remington Golden Sabers or Speer Gold Dots.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Cool guns!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
I just purchased a LWS .32 after selling my LWS .380. The .380 was a little too wild for me to be comfortable with. What ammo do you use in the .32? Also, are you not confident with the Kimber for some reason?

I am completely confident in the Kimber Ultra CDPII...it has never failed me at the range and eats pretty much anything I put in it.  It is a little large for summer carry, especially when I am at my place in Florida, so I go with the R9 or, occasionally, the LWS .32.  In the R9 I use Speer Gold Dot 124 or Federal HST 124, and practice primarily with Speer Lawman 124.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Nice carry pieces Richard.

How does the NAA .380 handle compared to the Seecamp .380 or R9?

Also, how reliable is it with the right ammo?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Nice carry pieces Richard.

How does the NAA .380 handle compared to the Seecamp .380 or R9?

Also, how reliable is it with the right ammo?

The G-380 is a straight blowback design compared to the R9's locked breech. I would rate the felt recoil of the two as about equal.  Of course the extra three ounces of weight added by those sterling silver grips helps to reduce the felt recoil of the G-380. It was the 64th G-380 (No. BC00064) sold by NAA.  I took delivery of it in 2001, a year before the R9's debut at SHOT 2002 and three years before my R9 No. 132 arrived in May 2004. The reliability of the G-380 has been stone-cold, something perhaps to be expected from such an uncomplicated design.

I have only a Seecamp .32 (or rather I used to have one before my wife requisitioned it as her own) and have never shot a Seecamp .380.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:45:54 AM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
I have not shot a NAA G380 either Josh but they are much heavier.  The NAA weighs 18.72 oz. vs the 11.45 oz of the LWS380.

In my opinion the extra weight would not only reduce recoil, but would aid in reliabilty as it does not rely on retarded blowback to operate therefore making a lot more types of ammunition reliable.

Downside, heavier than a lot of 9mm with about equal recoil.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:32:52 AM by MRC »