Rohrbaugh Products and Accessories > Gunsmithing or Modifications for your Rohrbaugh

feasible to add small dot to front sight?

(1/3) > >>

jimacp:
I know there is much argument over whether sights are needed at all on gun like this, but since I have R9s and it does have those rudimentary sights, I was wondering about feasibility of having machinist drill small hole on front ramp and add some type of either paint, or gold bead, or bright dot type material. My aging eyes dont pick up front sight as it is now. Anyone have any ideas on this....sure as heck dont want to ruin front sight since it is part of frame.

RJ HEDLEY:
It can be done safely, but only in a mill.  And using a *starter drill bit*, I think that is the term.  I will see if I can find a picture of one.

R9SCarry:
Jim - we discussed this some time back .. and I for one would like eventually for the gun in sighted form, to come out with small ''dimples'' as std ..... one on front sight and one each side of rear ... so that this picture ....

can be made easier to achieve and thus more permanent.  I currently have just dots of ''BrightSights'' paint applied but do not carry this all time .. tho it does seem quite reluctant to come off.  Holstering a lot tho might be a different matter.

DIY tho???  No - not unless you have machine shop facilities and - experience.  Stainless is hard to machine - hard on tooling too.  You would need to spend some time setting up .. and then using a center drill to start ... and then as RJ states ... with use of an end mill.  Oh so easy to screw up and mar the thing.  

BTW, front sight is part of the slide Jim .. not the frame!!  Not desirable to ruin either of course!! :P

jimacp:
thanks for thoughts...No, I definitely wouldn't try it myself, and yes, I wasn't thinking when I referred to frame. Still though, wouldn't want to screw up slide.  Anyway, I guees anything can be improved. As much as I like R9s so far, its fun to think of improvements!  Not sure I could think of many more!

R9SCarry:
I knew you meant slide Jim ... was ribbing you really! ;D#

I think I did mention this aspect to Eric in an email a while back - so they do know something of our thinking.  I guess the backlog will need cleared way more before new changes get considered but I know the brothers are open to input always.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version