Rohrbaugh Products and Accessories > Gunsmithing or Modifications for your Rohrbaugh

feasible to add small dot to front sight?

<< < (2/3) > >>

jimacp:
R9SCarry-  I don't mind being ribbed for stupid statements :P   well, most of the time anyway!  Again, the pics you post here are excellent!  Did you paint those sights? Looks pretty good to me. Think I will try that. I have some orange brightsite paint around here somewhere....

R9SCarry:
Jim .... I'll be honest - on the gun they are not quite so perfect - good but not quite perfect.  I did ''clean up'' the image a bit - so as to show what it should look like.... perhaps what could be done when having small ''dimples''

Colors are genuine as is placement --- but circles on rear sight not quite  as good as pic!

May I suggest - IMO two colors needed for ideal effect ..... if you only have one right now - put it on foresight -- that helps the most I reckon .. I mean even if only there .... if you can see it between shoulders of rear - then that's pretty  darned useful!  Try using a small blob on toothpick - seems to work best for me .... and if first application goes sour - wipe off real quick and start again!  Clean first BTW with some isopropyl alcohol .. or denatured alcohol .. to ensure reasonably grease-free.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh and - near forgot - that paint I reckon needs a good ''cure'' time .. 12 hrs min - 24 preferable.

packin_heat:
something i just thought of...could you brush a little bit of clear coat on top to protect the paint? or would it come off just as easy as the paint. also, mabey that would cause the sun to reflect off the clear coat?? just some thoughts. you can buy little bottles of clear coat with car touch up paint

R9SCarry:
Packin' ...... I don't think Clear Cote would be any advantage.  It certainly may make the dots more reflective - thus glare potential.  Plus - I think the bottom line is whether the paint itself can ''key'' adequately onto the metal - the determining factor IMO as to whether it can stay put.

This is why ''dimples'' would so useful ... with adequate paint adhesion, virtually nothing would disturb the paint.  Bit like I have on my BHP and both P Series.

Aquanewt:
Enamel paint (the old Testors model airplane type) might work. I painted the front sight of my S&W model 36 years ago when I carried it in ankle holster. I had to re-do it occassionally but the paint lasted quite a while. Granted, the M-36 front sight was serrated (sp?) Just an idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version