Rohrbaugh Products and Accessories > Gunsmithing or Modifications for your Rohrbaugh

grip screw removal

(1/2) > >>

rooster:
I have a problem with one of my grip screws.  The left side bottom screw is in so tight that I have broken 1 allen wrench trying to remove it.  And now the allen head is rounded out and the wrenches no longer fit.  My question is, since it is the left panel do I ever have to remove it for maintenance?  I was thinking of drilling through the screw and retapping.  I also thought about removing the front screw and then rotating the panel down and maybe the screw will lossen up, but then if the head breaks I am "screwed". Also has anyone detailed striped there pistol yet?  If so how?

RJ HEDLEY:
I also thought about removing the front screw and then rotating the panel down  //  rooster

This will not work, there are index pins under there , in addition to the screws.

Only thing I can think of is to use a small cut off wheel in a Dremel, and  cut a slot in the screw head..

BillinPittsburgh:
I've heard that you can drill into a screw and cause it to shatter (obviously safety glasses are a must), but have never tried it personally.  Of course you'll need a new screw to put the grip panel back on, but you'll probably need that no matter how you get the screw out.

R9SCarry:
Aesthetics aside with a buggered screw - IMO that left panel need never come off!!  On my FAQ site are some pics of a full take down if that helps tho not much use re the screw dilemma.

The most critical thing if drilling out a screw is - precision - start on center and stay on center.  This will mean use of a small drill sufficient to not ruin the female thread - and speed and feed will have to be very finely controlled - and with cutting fluid/oil too.  The screws are IIRC stainless and hard therefore.

NO hand drill - this is, if attempted, a drill press job.  If t'were me - I'd live with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Meant to add - Allen wrenches MUST be true 1/16" (0.0625") - ''cheapie'' ones that are sloppy will give problems because usually under size and so damage the head.

rooster:
Thanks r9s, I just went to your site and after looking at your pictures I agree that there is probably no reason to take the left grip panel off.  so for now I am going to leave well enough alone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version