Rohrbaugh Products and Accessories > Gunsmithing or Modifications for your Rohrbaugh

grip tape on front strap

(1/7) > >>

musician:
I've been away from the Forum for awhile (four hurricanes in SW Fla. have a way of turning life upside down), so I don't know if this topic has been broached.

When I shoot my R9s, the recoil tends to be up and to the right, sometimes painfully raking the trigger guard against my trigger finger.  Now, I know this is an "operator" problem since it doesn't happen all the time, but I eliminated it by applying a strip of skateboard tape to the front strap.  It's amazing how this stuff improves the "gripability" of the gun and vitually eliminates my gun's tendency to twist during recoil.  And since it's on the front strap it doesn't cause any hangups during the draw (in fact, it helps because it creates a tacky surface to grab).

Anyone else try this?

Musician

BillinPittsburgh:
I have tried skateboard tape on the frontstrap of my 1911.  I found that it did help my grip.  I cut the piece wide enough to fit underneath each grip panel to hold it in place, but not wide enough to that there was anything extending over the holes in the frame on the sides of the magazine well.

I took it off when my law school ring wore a hole in it, and haven't put a new piece back on, although I might.

TW:
>>This sounds like a great idea to at least try out.  Likewise my big fat trigger finger gets whacked with each shot...maybe this is something the boys at the factory should look at...???...TW<<

GeorgeH:
Skateboard tape today reminds me of sandpaper. Somewhere back in 1983-85, when skateboarding enjoyed a comeback, I saw some tape that was sold in a sheet large enough to cover the entire deck of a skateboard that was sort of spongy with a pebble finish. Does anyone know if something like that is sold today?

musician:
Hi, GeorgeH--

I have found the stuff you describe in a hardware store.  It's sold as boat deck or step anti-slip material.  I've not seen sheets, but cut-to-length rolls in a variety of widths from 1" to 6".  The stuff I've seen is gray and is not as sandpapery as the black skateboard tape, and is thicker.

Musician

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version