Rohrbaugh Products and Accessories > Gunsmithing or Modifications for your Rohrbaugh

Bob Cogan

(1/3) > >>

renrew:
For those that have had work done by Bob Cogan:

Does porting the R9 make it a lot louder?

Does hard chrome on the finish or porting void the warranty?

I love the looks of his work and was entertaining sending him my new Tribute.

Thanks,

W-

Richard S:
renrew:

I know of one former member who had his R9 ported by Bob Cogan. The work was beautiful, but I've never understood the rationale for porting a pocket pistol. Assume, for example, that TSHTF while you were carrying the pistol in a jacket and it was necessary to fire from the pocket with the ports next to some part of your own body. Both you and the perp could be sharing the same ambulance.  :o

With regard to Cogan's work in hardchrome, it is as good as it gets. I have a Magnum Research Desert Eagle .50 AE and a Colt M1991A1 .45 ACP that he hardchromed. I've posted so many photos of each one here on the Forum that I shall restrain myself from doing so again. As to whether hardchroming would result in voiding the R9 warranty, I would suggest calling Maria, Rohrbaugh's Customer Service Representative (1-800-803-2233 or 631-242-3175). She's the best in the business.

_______

Edited to add this link to a comprehensive article on the pros and cons of porting defensive handguns written by our Administrator:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/port.pdf

renrew:
Thanks for the info Richard!  I have viewed some of the R9's he has done on the forum and they are truly works of art.  I think that I would tend to agree with you in regards to the porting for both the reason you stated and the noise factor. 

I spoke with Maria per your recommendation and she said the hardcrome job could potentially void the warranty as these guns have very tight tolerances.  She said she would talk with Bob and see how many R9's he has done and more importantly what the thickness is of the hardcrome.  She mentioned the fit to the slide is very precise.

renrew:
I spoke with Bob this morning.  He said if he hard chromed the gun he would not expect ANY problems as he does this for many manufactures.  He also said he would port the gun as it gets back on target much quicker.  I asked him about the noise level and if the gun was 30% louder or what?  His response was not in that length of gun and it should not be that noticeable?

I am trying to figure out if I want to send him my new gun for work.

DDGator:
Cogan used to have his shop in Safety Harbor, FL -- less than 3 miles from my house.  I was sad when they moved... 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version